BLOCK Architecture 2005 - The HG bit

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

BLOCK Architecture 2005 - The HG bit

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:14 pm

This year for BLOCK HG are going to do another take on "Look! There it isn't", this time based on a trip down the Clyde on teh Pride of teh Clyde.

The route will run from the Moat House Hotel to Braehead - and back, roughly 45minutes in duration each way.

The plan is to do a publication - format still to be established... as has the content.

What we are looking for is contributions and suggestions of things we could put into the leaflet. Last year we had a number of individual perspectives on different buildings that had been demolished to make way for the new, I'd be keen to perhaps include an element of this again this year.

We are looking for help with the following:

* Anecdotes relating to places, structures, people, folklore along the route. Did you have somewhere you played as a kid? Did you use to work in a shipyard? Grow up on the river banks? Any stories or memories or reflections of things that are no longer to be seen are welcomed.

* Are there sites we should pay particular attention to? We still havent decided what should be included so are rreally list making - following the route list places, buildings, shipyards, factories, warehouses, castles, churches, etc etc that are no longer to be seen.

* Wildlife - not sure what we could do with this, but a nod to what used to live in the murky depths of the clyde might be good.

* Disasters? Drownings, sinking boats, other bad suff to add a dark history to it all.

* General historic events
that occured along the river banks? In 1878 if you looked to the rght you'd have seen blah... this ship launched, these people disembarking for the new world, etc...

* Anything else at all!!

Like I said its all very loose at the moment. No promises suggestions will be picked up on and used, but the will be appreciated.

Sharon x
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BLOCK Architecture 2005 - The HG bit

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:27 pm

Sharon wrote:

* Disasters? Drownings, sinking boats, other bad suff to add a dark history to it all.

I once dropped a pound coin off the suspension bridge.
Sharon wrote:
* General historic events that occured along the river banks? In 1878 if

I could tell you a few things Ive seen along the river banks, oh not like that ..

I will get my thinking hat on and come back with some serious suggestions.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:29 pm

Well MAYBE like that!! 8O

Doesn't all have to be maritime heritage!! Be good to capture a wee bit of all sides of life...
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:33 pm

some possible inclusions:-

Govan Old Parish Church

Contains the Govan Sarcophagus, a 6ft long, 1,000kg piece of sandstone. The sarcophagus is thought to date to the 6th century when the site was a burial ground for Dumbarton castle (then the kingdom of Strathclyde's capital).

Partick Castle

Located at the western bank of the River Kelvin, this castle was constructed in 1611 for George Hutcheson of Hutcheson's Hospital fame. The castle existed until the mid 19th century when the stones were used to built other properties nearby. The castle was demolished and a laundry and foundry were constructed.

Kingston Bridge

Engineers WA Fairhurst & Partners designed this bridge which at the time of building was the longest pre-stressed concrete bridge in Britain. It was built between 1967 and 1970 at a cost of £11m. The central span is 470ft in length. Designed to hold 20,000 cars per day the bridge currently carried over 150,000 cars. Recently the central span of the bridge underwent repairs which involved jacking the 50,000 tonne bridge to insert piles to support the structure. The works cost £31m.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:07 pm

Just noticed the other lunchtime there, The Pride of The Clyde has stopped running until April 2006, due to the construction of the Finnieston Street Bridge.

Baws!

http://www.clydewaterbusservices.co.uk/
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:09 pm

AMcD wrote:
Baws!

indeed!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:31 pm

Well actually it is apparently still running but from the Moat House Hotel. Unless its only for special events... but thats not the impresion I got today. Crusty?

A wee trip is needed methinks.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BLOCK Architecture 2005 - The HG bit

Postby stinkpad » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:45 pm

Sharon wrote:* Wildlife - not sure what we could do with this, but a nod to what used to live in the murky depths of the clyde might be good.

I saw a seal in the clyde on the boat to braehead. Not sure if i got a photo but i'll have a look...

Stinkpad.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:59 pm

One thing that's quite unusual to see by the Clyde at the moment is groups of 5 or 6 adult herons together. They are normally solitary and very territorial. They seem to be adapting their behaviour to changing times and resources though.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:45 am

Help, help, help!!!

All help welcomed. Please

:)
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:39 pm

http://www.hurrel-visual-arts.com/publicart/zones.html
Contacting this guy could be helpful?

Maybe you could do a wee recce.
Does anyone have a boat? Or know someone who does?
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby job78989 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi Sharon, First post with a few Ideas.

Why not take pics of all the old passenger ferry landing sites on bothsides and the old Govan and Kingston Car ferrys, there is still some old industrial architecture related to these sites in situ, but for how much longer? I have also read of a shipping disaster that happened about 1911, when a ship was being launched from the old Stevens yard in Linthouse. The ship sank when launched and I think some of the workers were killed and drowned. If you go down the river just past Breahead you can also catch the Renfrew/Yoker ferry.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:14 pm

Cheers guys, this is the kind of stuff I was ahoping for!!

Id love to hear stories and personal accounts opf events along the river... to add that personal touch. We arent putting together a tourist guide after all!!!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:21 pm

The govan ferry piece would be a great article shaz, i remember me and my mates being chased by a gang comming home from school and we all jumped on to the ferry to get away from them as it was moving off, it was a real close shave that day i'll never forget that day as long as i live as they would have beat the shit out of us, 4 of us and about 20 of them.

Thank you for saving our lives Govan Ferry :wink:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:37 pm

I saw a seal in the clyde on the boat to braehead. Not sure if i got a photo but i'll have a look...

Stinkpad.

i seen it too one day a wee pup it was, seemingly there is a family of seals living in the clyde now. :)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects