Glasgow Graveyards

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Graveyards

Postby Fossil » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:13 pm

This is really a follow on from the other thread. Is anyone interested in touring some of the other graveyards throughout the city? Especially the other necropolis’s: Gorbals, Forge, Springburn.
Also the old one at the bottom of Abercrombie street etc
Hopefully The Voice can shed light on most of them. :wink:

The pics are from a graveyard in Cathcart.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: Glasgow Graveyards

Postby kn0wledge » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:19 pm

Fossil wrote:This is really a follow on from the other thread. Is anyone interested in touring some of the other graveyards throughout the city?

Yes, definitely count me in. Old cemetaries fascinate me. There is also one somewhere down London Road, I can't remember its name, but it's huge.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:20 pm

I'd be up for that fossy knickers! Iv actually been oing some research on the southern Necropolis for a report and have been planning a visit. I also intend to attend The Voice's tour of the Necropolis (as Im ashamed to say; Iv never been :oops: ) sose I can pick his brains on a few subjects :wink:
crusty_bint
-
-

Re: Glasgow Graveyards

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:21 pm

There is also one somewhere down London Road, I can't remember its name, but it's huge.

that'll be Dalbeth or St Peters cemetary
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:34 pm

St Peter's it is. Thanks ;D
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:44 pm

...yip st peters it is.. been in two or three times a few years back, its still in use. also there's one in tollcross (its mentioned on another thread) Do take a visit to the necrop. I’ve been up a few times but haven’t done the full tour, went on a Sunday afternoon. Didn’t meet anyone unsavoury just some tourists....

Better foto crispy. :wink:
Fossil
-
-

Glasgow Graveyards

Postby Alastair » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:09 am

For those interested there is a website for the Southern Necropolis in the Gorbals: http://www.SOUTHERNNECROPOLIS.COM It shows a map and mentions interesting characters buried there.
The graveyard in Abercromby St. was the scene of grave robbing in the early 19th. century. In 1822, members of the Calton Burgh Police surprised some armed grave robbers in that graveyard. A fight ensued and one of the polis sliced the arm of one of the grave robbers with his cutlass............. 8O
Hope this is of interest.
Alastair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:42 am

Cheers Alastair... Iv already dissected that site :wink: heres a little story I found on one of the more illustrious of the Southern Necropolis internments:

Alexander 'Greek' Thomson Memorial Headstone Appeal

The competition brief for the 1999 Alexander Thomson Travelling Scholarship was for the design of a monument to be erected over Alexander Thomson's unmarked grave. Since the selection of the winning design entered by Graeme Andrew and Edward Taylor, fund raising has been ongoing with a view to constructing the monument as designed out of polished black granite.

Cheques should be made out to "Glasgow Institute of Architects" and forwarded to the Honorary Secretary <<<<they're still fund-raising 5 years on! :)!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW... cheers fossy ... its a self portrait :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:03 am

Count me in.

I've always liked the architecture of the Linn Crematorium. Theres an old cemetery to the north of Linn park near to Holmwood House, any Ideas what this one is called?.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:02 pm

they're still fund-raising 5 years on!

Well no wonder, have you any idea how much those things cost? A block of granite that size would be in the order of £150,000.

Personally I think GCC should foot the bill by way of thanks to the man. After all, it's thanks to Thompson that Glasgow has so much great architecture.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:07 pm

..there was a book out a few years ago (80’s 90’s) about the city’s grave yards. It hade descriptions of famous and infamous people buried in each cemetery. The one person I was most interested in was Stan Laurels mother who was buried over in some south side cemetery. It actually gave you directions of where to locate each tomb. I'll try me local library…
Fossil
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:11 pm

scan the whole book and post it online =P
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:38 pm

Well I'm glad to see Thompson's appreciated here, I've done a lot of research on Holmwood... spectacular property!!! I thnik the cemetary there is Netherlee... could be wrong tho?

As for the Thompson Memorial Headstone Appeal.... I just coildnt believe the Glasgow Institue Architects are advertising for money for it-miserable b*st*rds!!!!! I have fpledged a fiver tho :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:55 pm

Pgcc93 - I think the cemetery is probably Cathcart Cemetery, in Brenfield Road.

Foss - the book is probably "The Glasgow Graveyard Guide" by Jimmy Black (1992).

Everyone else - Count me in, I'm up for any trawls round the burying grounds. Maybe we could do the city centre ones (and the lost city centres ones) first, then do the southside etc on other days.

Best, Ronnie
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:16 pm

cheers Ronnie for the info.
maybe this could be our next outing must all ask Sharon.
City centre first then further out sounds good. Definitely a plan of action Ronnie, with transport and the like. Gorbals>St Peters>Tollcross maybe?
what do you all think?
Fossil
-
-

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects