Help! Where is this?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Shuggie » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:23 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Might there be a church just out the frame on our right? Looks like the tenements come to an end here and there may (to my eyes) be a signboard like the ones outside churches there.

The 'Vote xxx ' is deffinately on some sort of signboard, could be a cinema or library rather than a church? That wall also looks like it wasn't originally the end of the row as it looks like it has bricked up doors in it?

Or is the flu affecting my eyesight ::):

(Not that any of that really helps!)
Shuggie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:00 am

Schiehallion wrote:I'd be inclined to date it at 1974 since there were 2 general elections that year and the vehicles look early 70's. There are plenty of reflective yellow rear registration plates which came around 1972 replacing the white numbers on black old style.
It's certainly not much later than 1974 because by that time zigzag markings at zebra crossings had been introduced to the highway code.

I'd agree with Schiehallion. Pretty sure the Mini van on the left is M reg ie 74ish and the Luton van is an L; 73ish. It looks pretty much like an early Toyota Hiace. (I recall Hampden Cars sold them along with Mazdas...)
The date also goes right with the colours of the 'Gas' Mini van.

None of which helps figure where it is. :(

It does look like the old 'Tote' colours though. So, looking for the bookies with a chippie mebbe next to it? Coke sign above the Bedford van?
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:13 am

The curve on the road isnt as steep as the first scan shows
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22 am

The date of the pic is quite helpful as we can narrow down our search to areas of four storey pre-1880 tenements that hadnt been demolished in that year :) Are we going with 1974 then, does that sound right to you Alex? Also (Alex), were there any areas you weren't visiting and photographing at the time this one was taken? Not being facetious, just trying to lessen the search area ::):

The wooden frame on left that looks like a sign is, I think, just a wooden frame. If you look on the high res you'll see what looks like rubble masonry, rather than a signboard ...not that that helps particularly with anything...

Regarding shops, is the one with the orange sign a Shoefayre? Also the one on the corner on the right with the blue fascia and grey columns, is that an old Bank of Scotland and is that a pub across the road from it? Lastly, is that a Walls ice-cream sign on the left?

Cheers for the scan G, is there any chance you could upload the unfiltered/edited version of the high res?

Cheers,
Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 am

I reckon it could be the bottom end of Cathcart Road near Aitkenhead Road.

I'll post a picture in a wee while once i warm up the scanner.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:45 am

Feckin' Detective Columbo time now!! There are two boxes on the road next to the guy at the bus stop, a Black & White Whisky one and one that looks very much like Smirnoff. In the seventies there were only two times a year when Glaswegians bought loads of spirits....hogmanay and budget time.

The general election was February 1974 and Denis Healey's budget was March 1974, both of which tie in with the election poster and the empty spirit boxes.

So I'm going to say the picture was taken in March 1974 and there's probably off-sales just out of view on the right.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:45 am

Socceroo wrote:I'll post a picture in a wee while once i warm up the scanner.

Not with yir arse, one hopes ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:55 am

HollowHorn wrote:
Socceroo wrote:I'll post a picture in a wee while once i warm up the scanner.

Not with yir arse, one hopes ::):

I'd be as quick. Ah'll need to download the software for the feckin thing it's not on my laptop.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:56 am

oooh the anticipation!! 8O ::): Wat book you scanning from Soccs? :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:11 am

crusty_bint wrote:
Cheers for the scan G, is there any chance you could upload the unfiltered/edited version of the high res?

Cheers,
Crusty

Aye but not tonight. The original file is over 50 meg approx!

NB: The film is rather grainy and you can't really pull out any more detail than has aready been posted.
It's limited to the quality of the optics that the pic was originaly taken with and then factor in film grain artifacts.

But well done to the person that spotted the Garvies 'ginger' lorry prior to the Hi-Res image being posted 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:16 am

Thats cool, no rush now anyway if Socceroos got it :D If you resize it to 1221x800 that would do nicely ...id just got used to the orange hue :wink: ::):

Cheers G
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby McShad » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:27 am

Socceroo, are you talking about where Aitkenhead meets Cathcart road up near the Gorbals?

I was down that way the other day and the tenements are totally different style. I thought it could have been where it banks round at Hampden at Carmunock Road. Cathcart Road facing south from Aitkenhead road would have a church to the right too
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:41 am

Image[/quote]

Not by any means the same photo position or angle etc, but the Tenement design is identical right up to the stringer under the eaves.

The photo is from Eric Eunson's "Old Govanhill". I'll look up my Glasgow Tenement Books tomorrow and see who designed and built the ones in the photo below and see where else they were replicated in the City.

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:46 am

Nah Socceroo... I'd already discounted that :wink: The treatment of the façade is similar to some of them in Alex's pic but you'll notice that the Govanhill image shows a continuous datum across the façade of the whole tenement vinving an unbroken vista along it whereas its staggered in places wit varying roof levels in Alex's. i also thought about it the other way round (as tough its looking in the wrong direction) but that doesn't match up either.

Sorry bud :)

edit to add: The more old images of tenement lined streets I look at the more distinctive the banding on the tenement on the leftt seems. Of all the pics of all the streets in all the areas of Glasgow I've looked at, I've yet to see another tenement with this treatment and without bay windows...

Anyone else get the feeling the answer is just around that bend... were a church or some other identifiable building stands!?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:00 am

I don't reckon the photo's are of the same block. But given the almost identical design and fenestration of the windows etc i reckon they are in the same vicinity.

I think that the Tenements in Alex's slide could have been further down from the one's in Eric Eunson's book where the new housing is now built opposite the Govanhill Street area down to Aitkenhead Road.

There is a bend in the road down there but you do not notice it too much because the new builds are set back from the road.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)