Christmas & New Year Traditions

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:Pelting a bus with a snowball was a great tradition but snow is so elusive.

In the absence of snow, people in certain parts of the city deem half bricks an acceptable substitute.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:06 pm

Merry Christmas to you all :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:50 pm

A short-lived tradition was tapping out a cryptic message on the top of a ZX81 to make it work. I think this is where my short lived interest in secret societies came from; a desire to find the cryptic ZX81 code. You definitely started with three taps, followed by swiftly ripping out and replacing the 16k ram pack.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby DickyHart » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:30 am

Field Marshall Shug wrote:A short-lived tradition was tapping out a cryptic message on the top of a ZX81 to make it work. I think this is where my short lived interest in secret societies came from; a desire to find the cryptic ZX81 code. You definitely started with three taps, followed by swiftly ripping out and replacing the 16k ram pack.

you guys where worse than the masons :D
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:22 am

The Ginger Wine (aka Yulade).... Greatest wee tradition in the world, but I can't get any at the co-op this year. What's happened? I heard that they'd changed the recipe, so I suppose it's either such a roaring success that they've completely sold out, or alternatively it's so horrible that the Ginger Wine Factory is no more.

Can't get any blackcurrant wine either come to think of it.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:20 am

MacotheIsles wrote:The Ginger Wine (aka Yulade).... Greatest wee tradition in the world, but I can't get any at the co-op this year. What's happened?...............................

Still available at http://www.expatshopping.coop/product_i ... 3ba3993d40
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:32 am

There was a large basket full of the stuff in my local co-op last time I was in, a couple of days ago.

Both varieties.

Edit : Yup, still there (not quite as full, though).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Onyirtod and Josef!

Thanks for your kind reassurance. If there's still ginger wine in the world then there is yet hope for mankind. All I can say is that my local coop said they couldn't get it and didn't know why. Hmmmm.... I'll bet they were keeping ten gross crates of the stuff under the counter for their favoured customers and never letting on. Sods! That's the last time they get my 99p. Let them keep their divi.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:27 pm

A punch-up.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:17 am

I wonder if your Ginger Wine was from the same stable that made the Ne'erday Cordial in flavours of Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackcurrant and Ginger.

I think it was made by a company called 5 Star near the Gallowgate and it ceased production of the traditional weans cordial in the last few years, no explanations given. Unlike many of the other cordials, this was one that you didn't dilute and took it straight. Sickly sweet, almost like a medicine like Benylin or whatever but it was part of the Ne'erday tradition in ma house!
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:34 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:I wonder if your Ginger Wine was from the same stable that made the Ne'erday Cordial in flavours of Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackcurrant and Ginger.

I think it was made by a company called 5 Star near the Gallowgate and it ceased production of the traditional weans cordial in the last few years, no explanations given. Unlike many of the other cordials, this was one that you didn't dilute and took it straight. Sickly sweet, almost like a medicine like Benylin or whatever but it was part of the Ne'erday tradition in ma house!

No, as Mac said, Yu-lade, 'Made in uk for Co-op, M60 4ES' (I bought a bottle :) ). Wasn't that either Black Star or Gold Star? They had a factory in the railway arches just past Glasgow Cross. Mainly known for their brown/tomato sauce that all Glasgow chippies stocked.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:16 pm

You can get Ne'erdy Cordial in McCutcheons on the Gallowagate near Glasgow Cross.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:You can get Ne'erdy Cordial in McCutcheons on the Gallowagate near Glasgow Cross.

cheers Sid 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:55 pm

I haven't been down this year yet, but they have it every other year so i expect they will now.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:37 pm

This very subject featured in the "letters" section of the Daily Record to-day, anyone wish to own up?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)