the decorative chimney features seen in the original picture. Also, your image
shows Annbank Street.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:39 am

Schiehallion wrote:Does this help at all? This is Duke St running left to right, with Bellgrove St at the south and Westercraigs to the north of Duke St.

For what it's worth, I've noticed in most of the past presents that no matter how long ago and no matter if street lights have been replaced, the position of street lights very rarely changes. It is more likely than unlikely that those street lights will still be in the same position today irrespective of what's built there now.

I think it does. I reckon that the gap on the left of Alex's photo is the same as the the one on the central left of this one. Thanks, S.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:57 am

Clarkston rd was my first thought, since ruled out. Duke St from just before Bellgrove St seemed the next most likely but now that seems scuppered too. Iv also checked the cross at Springfield and London Rds and not got a match there... so iv not got a clue basically.

Actually thats a lie, have 5 to point out to you...

A. The horizontal banding is quite distinctive in this image so that worth looking for when comparing with other images you might have

B. It could just be an illusion resulting from an unfortunately sited lamp post but there seems to be a kink in the tenement where the angle of alignment changes

C. This block seems odd, its either standing on its own with lanes or streets either side or is not in alignment with the rest of the tenement facades, wit the next one down standing proud of it

D. These chimneys are also quite distinctive, another one easily recognised

E. This is probably the giveaway (even tho the answer still escapes me) but this drystone wall also stands proud of te tenement alignment. The wall itself might not exist today the the chances are the boundary will.

...best of luck peeps...
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Timchilli » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:11 am

duck wrote:Timchilli wrote
looking at it again, it can't be Byres Road as the tenements on the right are 3 storeys high, whereas the ones on Byres Road are 2 storeys

my big brother lives on Byres Road and his are three storeys high.

Hi, Duck.

I was comparing the tenements on the right side of the old photo with the block on which Antipasti is located these days:

There are quite a few inconsistencies there to rule Byres Road out of the equation. Bugger! Thought I was going to win one of those HG "where am I?" quizzes!

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:24 am

The free pint offer still stands, CB :wink: .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:31 am

whats this.. free pint.. who, why and the what now?? :?: :D

re: Schiehallions pic (can you not get an easier to spell name?! heh), if you count the chimneys on the north facade of the bottom right tenement block you'll find that they don't add up with Alex's original. I also don't see the horizontal banding on the central (corner) tenement beside the church... i think Duke St as a possibility is becoming less and less likely, overall it looks right but the details just dont stack up
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:05 am

Josef wrote:Right, you lot. I'm into hat-eating territory here, but it's definitely Duke Street from the Meat Market. You're on a pint at the next HG night out if you can prove me wrong ::): .

Whilst I agree with your interpretation of the evidence, CB, my gut reaction still stands. It just looks too like the place I used to pass on the bus many years ago not to be that place.

Alex will never let me forget it if I'm wrong, no doubt. :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:42 am

Okay I don't live there and haven't since I was 4 (and therefore I know you will all think I am a cheeky cow joining this discussion) but I have a lot of old photos of Glasgow Streets here on my computer. Someone merntioned Springburn and so I had a look at my stash and I have one supposedly of Keppochill Road in the fifties. The photo I have is facing the cooling towers of the ?power? station, looking down the road, not up, so the bend in the road is the opposite way.

Oh well, just thought I would throw it in the ring....

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby junkcatcher » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:05 am

Modern Fossil wrote:
james73 wrote:That's definitely NOT Duke Street at Bellgrove Street.

James H

Parliamentary Road?

Working dates from the cars Parli road was long gone by the time the photo was taken mid 70s ---- I am pretty sure the Luton van on the left is a Toyota Hi-Ace they weren't imported before early 1970s.
Andy
junkcatcher
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:19 am

Can I throw a spanner in the works here.... has it been scanned the right way round from the slide? Not that I'm doubting your ability here Alex!

*edit* ehh, naw.... the thought occured to me that the traffic would then be on the wrong side of the road :oops:
Last edited by McShad on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 am

Think it might be Govanhill from the north with Copelaw Street on the right.
If it is the buildings on the right are away now for new housing.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:31 am

I'm just back from that direction... orientation doesnt fit

I can rule out Cathcart Road at Mount Florida too
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:44 am

Now that it's no longer 3 a.m. :oops: , I withdraw my insistence on it being Duke St :) .

James is right about the street on the right.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:15 pm

DVF wrote:Image

Maybe Argyle St at Finnieston/yorkhill sorta bit, looking towards city centre, Creme de la Creme building would be out of sight on the right hand side along the road a bit?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:23 pm

2nd thought, that's pish.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)