Tesco Pollok Silverburn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:07 pm

Vladimir wrote:OK, more picking apart.

Vlad having never met me you seem to have a very strong opinion about me.

Neither has Crusty met me, he still makes his point...

always assume everyone else is wrong

Is this true? Last time I noticed it was always my opinion being considered wrong, not '21st century' if you can remember that!

It is clear that you have the benefit over me of a higher standard of education.

Explain just how you came to this conclusion? I dont remember telling anybody anything about my education and to be honest it isnt much to brag about...

Vlad you sound like a very intelligent young man and from what I have heard from others who have met you I may have made an assumption that i shouldn't have. I have also noticed that you show remarkable ability in taking someones argument and breaking it down. I didn't mean to cause offence and if I have I apologise.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:35 pm

OK Alex, lets let it rest. But as for you Delogerly!

discredited nonsense

Discredited by who exactly? Little Lord Fauntleroy! ::): Or maybe someone more up to date in circles like yours, Maggie Thatcher, but only after she has finished beating some poor person over the head with her economic club like a new age cavewoman!

Queen Elizabeth is also the Queen of Scotland

Yes, and there used to be a title known as Empress of India. And my goodness, wasnt that a hit in the subcontinent! But that was back in the dark ages where people like yourself are supposed to exist... :wink:

Oh, and one more thing. Tell me, what do you do for a living Rogerly? Are you a professional hole picker...
Last edited by Vladimir on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:47 pm

.. anyhoo
Here's a picture of the Pollok Centre from 2004

Even then the shops were mainly Tesco Farmfoods Greggs etc and that was really it for folk.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:48 pm

The old place was dire. But please understand why this new one is here, think about it please.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:29 am

Vladimir wrote:OK Alex, lets let it rest. But as for you Delogerly!

discredited nonsense

Discredited by who exactly? Little Lord Fauntleroy! ::): Or maybe someone more up to date in circles like yours, Maggie Thatcher, but only after she has finished beating some poor person over the head with her economic club like a new age cavewoman!

Queen Elizabeth is also the Queen of Scotland

Yes, and there used to be a title known as Empress of India. And my goodness, wasnt that a hit in the subcontinent! But that was back in the dark ages where people like yourself are supposed to exist... :wink:

Oh, and one more thing. Tell me, what do you do for a living Rogerly? Are you a professional hole picker...

I particulary enjoyed the mixed metaphor in paragraph three.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:54 am

I particulary enjoyed the mixed metaphor in paragraph three.

::): ::): ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:49 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:.. anyhoo
Here's a picture of the Pollok Centre from 2004

Great picture Fos

Not to change subject but do you have a picture of the old clock you could post on the Clocks thread. Alex Petrie would appreciate it I am sure.

Vlad

I do think about why the new shopping centre is being built. Yes you are correct it is all about profit. Although the old shopping centre was slipping into decline it was still a central location for the people of Pollok.

Even then the shops were mainly Tesco Farmfoods Greggs etc and that was really it for folk.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Silverburn Development December 2006

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby drks » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:18 am

why is there still a bit of the old centre there?
drks
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Smartalex » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:41 am

They have left the front part of the old Pollok Centre there for the remaining amenities like the Pollok Market with the Post Office inside and the County Bingo as well as a branch of the Halifax and also a chemist and Farmfoods.

The old Building will most probably be demolished once the new Silverburn Opens, I think the County Bingo is Fighting to keep their premises and get them to just renovate the outside of the building, but not sure how that is going.

Al.
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Topping Out of Silverburn Tour

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:54 pm

On Friday 23rd March 2007 the Topping Out of Silverburn took Place.

As the ceremony was conducted by two local politicians I will not post photos of this event. However as part of the event a tour of the development was conducted. So i took the oppotunity to take some photos.

This is the restaurant area.

NEXT

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Silverburn Outside

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Marks & Spencers

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Can I just be erm. lemmy think...the 3rd person! to admit to working in retail!! ::): Yea, it's not an ideal situation for everybody Vlad, but think about it, where would you buy your books, dvd's, food etc if everybody in Scotland decided to stop working in shops? I assume the same goes for cinemas, petrol stations.....I could go on!

We need a higher minimum wage, and people like that guy who offered a girl less than minimum wage should be reported and prosecuted. Most folk who work in retail (that I've met, ok, this is not a generalisation) are either (a) in Uni, keeping themselves solvent while they study, (b) Happy to work there for a while but have definite plans to move on, (c) People who have children or a dependent adult to look after and can't work more than a part time job.

We can't ALL be top of the line in our fields of work, we need a chain of folk, from the school leavers to the been-working-here-30 years, man and boy types. Retail is a very important sector, yes, but it's not the be all and end all. But people still want somewhere to spend those hard earned wages, and not everybody's gonna buy premium bonds or invest in stocks and shares. If folk want to buy pap, let them buy it, it's their money!

Industry's never gonna be what it was in Scotland, refer to whatever century you please here. We have to work with the new industries. But I can tell you for a fact, the IT industry in Scotland is so overcrowded that the wages are less here than they are for the same jobs in places like Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham. Sillicon Valley is flooded!

And as for Tesco, don't get me started! Now here's a thing, I'm dead against the development of the one in Partick, as I feel the area does not in all honesty need one. But I am in favour of the one in Pollock, as it seems to me that it clearly does. I was on a training course in the area, with the aim of getting a job out that way, and saw all the info and bumpf and stats for the project, but I decided not to go for a job out that way, it's just slightly too far from where I am for a reasonable journey on public transport.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:21 pm

Well said Lynnski ;)

A new call centre will be launched next week in Nitshill to handle the enquires from people looking for employment within the various stores at Silverburn.

South West Regeneration Agency and its initiative Greater Pollok Working will be the emplyment agency for the vacancies that will require to be filled.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Alex Glass wrote:A new call centre will be launched next week in Nitshill to handle the enquires from people looking for employment within the various stores at Silverburn.

Aye, that's the job I was thinking of going for :) But I'm not from that area, and I don't really want to do call centre work, so I hope somebody else got a chance at it. If anybody is in the area and would like to know about it (and is on benefit) get in touch wiith an organisation called Equip, they'll give you more details on the training course.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development