A Greek Tragedy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:34 pm

The main reason for this travesty is bad, or even, lack of legislation on issues of conservation. There is plenty of guidance for Councils to heed tho (such as the Stirling Charter, HMSO Publications and the HS Memorandum of Guidance to name a few), so why does Glasgow always fall behind other local authorities?

I'll tell you why... its a result of the money-minded, golden handshake, little-boy, political hoola-hooping that goes on in the city chambers! I'm not meaning to get political or anything ( :roll: ) but the traditionally labour-run Glasgow City Councillors are too safe in thier seats these days. They don't have to really do f*ck all to win thier specially moulded to fit their fat ars*s padded seats anymore, whereas in citys such as Edinburgh, that consistently out-perform Glasgow in the conservation stakes, have relatively few safe seats (compared to Glasgow) and so have to compete more to win votes, and so get more done, they tackle more issues and their Lord Provost doesn't smoke Mayfair!! 8O

Anywho, vote Gr**n at the next election ::):

And on a lighter note, I was talking with the new chairman of the Thomson Society last month who was saying there is something in the pipeline for the Egyptian Halls (..no change there then!) but he wouldnt elaborate on it :(

Crusty :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:44 pm

Just read this in that Evening Times article:

2nd rate newspaper wrote:The council served a dangerous buildings notice in December, compelling the owners to make the building structurally safe or get it demolished.

Dont give them the bloody option to demolish it! Jeez-oh, has the world gone mad? I need to go lie down... Crusty's getting a little bit f*ck*ng irrate!!!!

( ::): :oops: ::): )

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:53 pm

skintobalinto wrote:I read in the Evening Times today they are trying to save parts of the building "key features" they are discussingit today what can be saved. A bit fecking late I say. All of this needed to be done before it got into this state. :x

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5027136.html

..well most of the top front of the building has been removed and dumped.
Speaking to the site chaps most of the stone work is being ground up and reused. I did get a small piece of the top right hand corner. ALL the panelling is skipped and dumped (pictures to prove that). :evil:

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:26 am

dr_lightning wrote:Here's a worrying thought: how long has the Egyptian Halls been up for sale?

And how long do you think it will be before it's in the same state as this was?

There was activity in the there last week. Workmen removed several of the upper floor windows and replaced them,with ......wait for it :!: wire mesh :?: to stop pigeons getting in but allowing the rain water to penetrate the the interior fabric? This will do it no good whatsoever. They'll know doubt say its for ventilation purposes :!: as the place decays further. :evil:

a recent picture

Detail of weathering to the facade.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:45 am

I did notice that the...*ahem*...rusty old box had been removed.... :wink:
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:46 am

The current owner-would-be-developer of the Egyptian Halls is selling out after ongoing disputes with the Council about his proposals. The Greek Thomson Society people were not too keen on them either. The episode of the crude use of wire mesh to keep out the doos is an exact replay of episodes in the 90s with the St Vincent Street Church. Prof Gavin Stamp, for all he was not everybodys' favourite personality was an incessant champion for Thomson's legacy and he endlessly campaigned with the Council on the Need To Do Something, especially about the church. Is it more than another odd coincidence that within a few months of him leaving Glasgow University to go south, we see the loss of the Thomson Office building? Meantime, just to show that it's not only the big prestige location city centre buildings that we should worry about, the Thomson Terrace at Walmer Crescent/Cessnock Street at Paisley Road West is becoming another 'at risk' case. This is one of "Thomson's most abstract designs, entirely without ornament, forming a crescent but composed entirely of straight elements, both vertical and horizontal". In real words, it's a great wee unique crescent well worth a walk around (right next to Cessnock underground. However, despite the buildings importance, the Council appear to take no supervisory action at all, some of the present inhabitants are seemingly allowed to do whatever they wish, with for example one ghastly white gloss painted frontage; and there is a burnt out ground floor flat left open to the elements. There is no big bad developer for the Council enforcement people to hide behind in this case.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:42 pm

A photo of Walmer Crescent from the The Glasgow Story site.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imageview.php?inum=TGSE00322

BTW... have a search for "Luftwaffe" in the image search on there... two fantastic aerial reconnaissance shots.
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:51 pm

Anyone see this in The Herald today? Architect attacks ‘old-must-stay’ view of buildings
dazza
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:04 pm

What a surprise. An architect doesn't want old buildings preserved because it means less of his steel and glass erections.

Prick.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby shuttle534 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:15 pm

I second the thought.........Prick.
I think the tool missed the point. they are not only trying to save buildings because they are old. They are beautiful as well. Many Glaswegians walk around the town all day and never once look up. If they did once in a while they would see that Glasgow has a substantial quantity of buildings which are very pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately the same can not be said for the street level on some.
Perhaps that is the problem with this prick. He spends to much time looking at his own pecker and drinking in Costa or Starbucks or Cafe Nero (didn't want to single one out). Sack him or hang him!!!!!
shuttle534
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:07 pm

also see this for/against article here, where they seem to be rehashing the Alan Dunlop bit from the Herald:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/opinion/7013350.html
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:10 am

Pics from yesterday afternoon:

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:15 am

Those pictures are almost painful to look at.... it's absolutely criminal we're destroying Glasgow!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:52 pm

And from this evening:

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:57 pm

Thanks for the updated pictures nodrog much appreciated. 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)