ROC Royal Observer Corps

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

ROC Royal Observer Corps

Postby Apollo » Wed May 26, 2004 6:53 pm

Real problem for me is just that ROC rooms are basically pitch dark (which most folk forget when they see the pics taken with half decent flash), being over 12 ft underground, and my kit mix doesn't quite match. 28 mm is fine, but is in my older Canon FD kit and I prefer using the more sophisticated EOS bounce flash for my best pics, but it only sports a 35 mm in the kit so far (and I'm not going to run round a hundred odd ROC posts again :roll: hence the DV supplement. (Yes, if you just thought I was daft enough to do film, digi and DV, you're right).

Couple of years ago SLR digi was out of the question at ££££ so the the 3 MP Tosh was a gift at £200 back then, even though the effective zoom bottom was 35 mm, as was everyone elses then.

I haven't really bothered looking, but was just impressed when I saw the S5000 mentioned. Must bode well for a decent SLR not at ££££ in the near future.

Now if it were only a Canon :D
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed May 26, 2004 6:58 pm

We started using DV too now when we visit ROC posts - I normally just use an old Sony DSC-P50 since a lot of the posts I go into are flooded and it's not really worth dunking expensive gear in the water for what essentially will be similar to every other post you visit.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed May 26, 2004 7:19 pm

:wink: Nah... never get two the same, that's the fun: remember Sharon's sig, look twice.

I had to give up the hunt over a year ago, and had just added a miniature infra-red camera to the armoury with the intention of trying some down-FSM shooting on locked posts since I already had a portable 8 mm video recorder. Main irritation was that DV camcorder didn't have composite I/O, but the laptop could've been pressed into service as a monitor.

Still have the kit, but circumstances dictated abandoning the idea before even giving it a dry run :( Emphasise the dry bit, as we kow some rooms are flooded to the roof, so transparent, waterproof enclosure to fit the FSM pipe was to be then next step)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed May 26, 2004 7:24 pm

Yeah we have a camera that works down the FSM pipe, not photographic quality but you see what is previously unseen.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed May 26, 2004 7:33 pm

Sharon wrote:Apollo, sounds like you need a fisheye lens (or even just a wideangle?)

Just noticed your post there Sharon! You can actually get wideangle and telephoto lens convertors for the S5000 that we were talking about, although I've not used one myself so I don't know what they're like.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu May 27, 2004 2:14 pm

Ah well, I'll bin that project. Don't worry, I was going to anyway. You know the effect you get when you keep meaning to do something and it just goes on tooo long :roll:

2 questions:

Nick's only published internal FSM pics of two posts so far (at least with notification) Arduaine and Tighnabraich. Are your FSM pics available anywhere?

The avatatar's too small to pick up any detail. Any chance of an ID on the post you've used for it?

Don't know if you log your visits, but I have an Access97 database for logging the current info from RSG, together with my own info: visit date, pics, video, notes. I built it as I got fed up trying to locate posts without having the current details handy (try getting on to the net in the middle of a field) so downloaded the lot with pics to my laptop and modded it to fit a PDA too.

You're welcome to an unpopulated copy (i.e. includes RSG post info (and the gazeteer which you no doubt have seen too) but not my visit notes (heck, that's what you'd be plugging in anyway) :wink: ))
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Mon May 31, 2004 9:04 pm

Only just noticed that this thread has been moved! My avatar is Dunlop ROC post, it's the closest to me, although my picture collection spans a large number of posts.

I'm in the process of putting them online, if you're interested I'll let you know when it's completed!

PurpleG.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Moved topic

Postby Fossil » Mon May 31, 2004 9:39 pm

Moved this earlier, Purplegum

Thought this could be interesting subject

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: Moved topic

Postby purplegrum » Mon May 31, 2004 9:42 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:Moved this earlier, Purplegum

-Fossil-

Oh yeah the ROC can be quite interesting, I personally find the cold war role fascinating. A friend of mine has been to every post in mainland Scotland so I'm working with him to also do the same, done about 30 odd so far!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Moved topic

Postby purplegrum » Mon May 31, 2004 9:43 pm

purplegrum wrote:
The Modern Fossil wrote:Moved this earlier, Purplegum

-Fossil-

Oh yeah the ROC can be quite interesting, I personally find the cold war role fascinating. A friend of mine has been to every post in mainland Scotland so I'm working with him to also do the same, done about 30 odd so far! Lucky enough to have an actual ROC T-key to open the posts.

Oops... I should have clicked Edit, not Quote!!

Anyway, was just adding that i'm lucky enough to have a T-key to open up the ROC posts only locked by the internal hatch lock.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:38 am

Know Dunlop well. The day I visited I met the lady farmer that owns it and got the story behind it. She was less than amused when it was decommissioned and the council decided to slap an extra £1000 on her rates for the improvement gained to her property.

I gave up the exercise as becoming costly after visiting 198 post, of which 103 existed and only 23 could be entered, but I did get my Stoer pics on the site first, even if it was dark and the thing was getting buried by sand.

Basically didn't cover the north of Scotland as It's not an area I have any other reason to go for, and for some reason neglected the Borders, maybe just too near :?

That's not to say I'm not interested. ROC and Cold War relics, (even WW2 relics) are fascinating, probably because I/we lived to be able to look back (just think about the reality of 'Threads' and similar buried back then), and would be interested in any activities or projects that are kicking around in relation to them.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:31 pm

Any pics of the gunsite on the Lochliboside Hills near to Neilston :?: It's now the Ailsa View caravan park now and I think it's all been demolished. Was this WW2 or a cold war relic :?:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:46 pm

If it was a gunsite then it's probably WWII.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:18 pm

Since our discussion was locked and moved here by Fossil, Apollo you said about exercises with the lid open - i have a load of stuff on ventilation procedures I can copy for you if you want.

We should get together sometime we seem to be HG's two ROC Experts!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:31 pm

purplegrum wrote:Since our discussion was locked and moved here by Fossil, Apollo you said about exercises with the lid open - i have a load of stuff on ventilation procedures I can copy for you if you want.

We should get together sometime we seem to be HG's two ROC Experts!

The only reasons post are locked . Is to stop duplication.
As there is one already started the latest is closed and the original is used.

Admin.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects