Sauchiehall Streets's Hidden Houses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DVF » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:01 pm

So what are the buildings used for now? Do they still have an address as Albany Place? One of them looks like a house, livable too.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ab23 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:13 am

It seems that they've been done up and are now houses. One came up for sale recently on the GSPC - here's some text and photos from the schedule.

Glasgow Secret Mews in the heart of the city! Dating from 1825 this historic Mews which has been completely refurbished by the present owner nestles amid its own leafy well stocked patio garden, yet is only yards from the vibrant night life and restaurants of Sauchiehall Street. A security entrance leads through JJ Burnett's Albany Chambers to the
courtyard and the mews beyond. Entered through the patio garden and sunny gated reception porch, the accommodation comprises large loft style living/dining area with solid birch hardwood flooring, period radiators, and 2 floor to ceiling original windows. Contemporary luxury fitted kitchen, superb spacious master bedroom with en suite shower room and solid birch flooring. Good sized second bedroom also with fully tiled en suite shower room in white and solid birch flooring. Main bathroom. On the upper floor there is a charming study/office with
excellent storage and velux windows and music /television room giving access to a delightful fully decked roof terrace In addition the property also benefits from gas central heating and security entry from Sauchiehall Street.

ab23
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ronan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:24 pm

So how much did it go for ? Anyone got a spare credit on myhouseprice?
ronan
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ab23 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:29 pm

It was offers over £189,000 and when I called to ask, they wouldn't say exactly but said it was "a good 30% over the asking price". So - £250,000-ish would be my guess.
ab23
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yourebarred » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:20 am

I used to live in a strange flat at no. 271. Look up when you are opposite biggars, there is an odd extra bit stuck on top of the tenements. anyone know when or why it was added?
strange construction, at the top of the close you opened a door to some very steep stairs which took you up to the flat. one bedroom had a huge wood panelled ceiling like an upside down boat, the other was also curved. the other room had one skylight, and the galley kitchen had internal windows. the bathroom had three steps in it, and then a step down by the window to the bath. you could bathe and watch the people outside though, an apparently they couldnt see you. i hope :oops: it had no heating so got very cold, and eventually i had to move. landlord was a c*** too!
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Albany Mews

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:30 am

My mate owns one of the flats in Albany Mews. last week whilst cooking breakfast he noticed a pair of Strathclyde's finest wandering through his garden dressed in their blue overalls. Venturing out he enqired as to what they were up to. One declared he was a fan of Carol Foreman's book "Hidden Glasgow" and as they were in Sauchiehall Street he thought it was opportune to show his colleague what he had been wittering on about.

Are there any boys in blue on here willing to declare themselves?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ab23 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:26 pm

Looks like this is back on the market - I guess the sale fell through last time, as the furniture in the pictures is still the same!

Click red_kola's post below for a link!
Last edited by ab23 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ab23
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Voyageur » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:06 am

Modern Fossil wrote:Looking from Sauchiehall Street. do a left at the end

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I stumbled across this fantastic website by Peter Andrew Lyon, which includes a great wee pic of the Lyon stationary Factory and a wee past/present?!? of your photo above:

The website also goes onto cover the tragic accident in 1968, when a lorry fully laden with bricks, rolled down Garnet Street and into the Lyon Stationary shop on Lyon Corner, killing a young woman. There's some really good pictures of the accident on SCRAN which i'd love to post, but copyright prevails im afraid.

Just one final thing whilst i'm here..... it looks to me like the photo which HollowHorn took the other day and posted in the 'Griffin Thread' (see below), does not show a Griffin..., but rather a 'Lyon'. :wink:

The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:20 am

The Voyageur wrote:..............

Just one final thing whilst i'm here..... it looks to me like the photo which HollowHorn took the other day and posted in the 'Griffin Thread' (see below), does not show a Griffin..., but rather a 'Lyon'. :wink:

A Lion Bar? :oops:

-F-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby viceroy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:58 pm

The Voyageur wrote:Just one final thing whilst i'm here..... it looks to me like the photo which HollowHorn took the other day and posted in the 'Griffin Thread' (see below), does not show a Griffin..., but rather a 'Lyon'. :wink:

Good point actually. A griffin of course has the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle which doesn't seem to be the case with this sign. I remember that inside the Griffiny, or back lounge as it was called, there were [maybe still are] emblems of griffins on the walls. But I can't remember whether they were the real McCoy or not.

The Wm Lyon website is fascinating. The history of Wm Lyon mirrors that of many other old Glasgow companies and illustrates the commercial dictum that insisting on keeping it in the family usually gives the kiss of ultimate death to an otherwise healthy business.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Sauchiehall Streets's Hidden Houses

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects