Braehead B&Q Derelict Building - Shiels Farm

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crazygray23 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:48 am

gonna please stop saying bldg`s :evil:

i noticed recently that the new roundabout before ikea has been named the sheils gate roundabout , wonder if this is gonna be the new name for the development thats starting there , and i couldnt help but think that how much better `sheils gate shopping centre` would have sounded or even `kings inch shopping centre`
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:17 pm

Didn't Braehead fall into Renfrew distric in the past and Glasgow had only aquird it at a later date? I'm sure the boundary commision found that out- plus the fact that the majory of it was in renfrew and that the KGV was a natural boundary anyway... It killed Paisleya nd Renfrew so only right Renfrewshire got it.

Doubt that building will be there for much longer i have memories of the land at the KGV been sold on the braehead side for housing IIRC.

As for Costco, I guess they gave up, been a while now. Lets face it- it was a crap B&Q (mind you all of them are soul less), it was better as a homebase- I still go to homebase in Newlands for a lot of stuff. For the sucess that Braehead is protrayed it has a high turn-over of shops, lots of empty units and some units have never been let. I also seems to attract the most stupid people possible and the worst drivers! ::):
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

I used to play there!

Postby Rossco » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:32 am

Hi Folks

This place brings back a few memories. I used to live in Deanpark in Renfrew when I was a kid, and we used to bring our dogs down here for walks. This was before the Braehead development, but after the building of the distillery and the addition of some pylons in the foreground of the pics.

We're probably talking about 20 years ago, when I was 7 or 8. I remember my Dad and I walked or drove down the cobbled road that you can see in this picture... http://tinyurl.com/zrpbm I think the new Braehead road that links all the carparks runs along this route and the security fence from the distillery bound it on one side for its length up to the rail bridge.

Anyway, from what I can remember, we used to drive down to the old house to park - my Dad drove a dolemite - how cool!?! I used to get a shot of driving to see if I could beat my Dad at how long I could drive without dropping off the tram lines on the cobbled road... the experience didn't help me get my license right enough - I still can't drive.

I can only remember being at the Shiels House a couple of times. The earliest I can remember, was when the outbuildings beside it were being used as a mechanic's garage. If I remember rightly, the house was uninhabited then but not in disrepair. There was also a small field of wheat which used to get harvested each year - the reason I remember was that I was chasing our dogs round it and my eyes swole up - that was the first time I got hayfever that has stayed with me since. Just up the road, some units opened up beside the Howden factory and the mechanic's guys moved there... I think they're still there and the garage is run by a guy called Andy Alford.

The second time I remember being there will help reveal why the place is called the Butterfly House. It's because a lot of the rooms were covered in butterfly pattern wallpaper. When I must have been about 11 or 12, I can remember being there when the place had been left uninhabited for quite some years. We were out walking the dogs again, and we decided to have a look in the house. We had to be careful because the structure was suffering from fire damage and the floor boards were less than stable. Even so, I can remember asking my Dad about the wallpaper in the place - it looked just like the stuff my sister had in her bedroom at home!

I can't really remember anything else about the place but I'll sleep on it and see what comes back to me. King's Inch was a great place to play - I can even remember watching ship launches from there and playing round the old ruins of what we thought was Renfrew Castle (if such a thing existed!)

Ross
Rossco
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scottishyank » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:41 am

THANK YOU ROSS!!!
what a great story!!!!please tell us more! so wot year do you think it did die? as in the fire?(dont need to give away your age!) WE have been at the mitchell ,just about every weekend looking for the year of the fire,(there is someone else looking for info as well, as wot the librarian has said)
Renfrew castle did exsist.. it was on a ' INCH' or island on the river, just out from it
i love the wall paper part, always wondered this, and now you have put the ending to that..
sleep well and get back to us.. thanks pal.. :D :D :D
scottishyank
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Peekay » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:41 am

Tring to delete a post but it willnay let me! apparently I need to type something too. I just thought that second from front Steamer looked like the Hispania. Closer inspection tells me the bridge is too short!

Close though!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Update, feckaw happening ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Braehead B&Q Derelict Building

Postby shiels » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 am

Hi,
Stumbled across this discussion by accident whilst searching for old photos of the farm and wanted to join in. The derelict building in question is in fact all that is left of my Fathers farm and was as far as I know the last working farm within the Glasgow boundary. It is steeped in history and someone could possibly write a book about it. My family moved into Shiels in 1875 and the house itself was occupied by my partents until about 1987, after which Clydeport authority allowed it to fall into a state of disrepair. The house is still inside the Glasgow boundary and owned by Capital Shopping. I have written several times to Capital Shopping to establish any plans for the house to no reply. In the 1600's the area was known as West Scheel, then West Shiels when there was a High and a Low Shiels farms thought to be near Shields Rd and subsequently when they were gone the West part of Shiels was dropped.
Braehead Shopping make wonderous calims of how they have regenerated contaminated land and brought wildlife back which isn't really the case.
Happy to answer any questions anyone may have regarding the farm.
shiels
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:11 am

shiels wrote:Hi,
...........Braehead Shopping make wonderous calims of how they have............ brought wildlife back which isn't really the case.

You clearly haven't shopped in Braehead :roll:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:54 pm

shiels wrote:The derelict building in question is in fact all that is left of my Fathers farm and was as far as I know the last working farm within the Glasgow boundary.

There are still many working farms within the eastern side of the Glasgow boundary.

For example, I know that Ellismuir Farm in Baillieston (see below) is definitely still a working farm - it was a dairy farm when I was a kid and as there is still activity at the farm and cattle in its fields even now it appears that it still is.

Ellismuir Farm
Larger version here

Ellismuir Farm
Larger version here

There are many farms in the Easterhouse area that still seem to be working farms as well. I'm not sure if all the farms in the below image are still working farms, however at least one of them must be are there is cattle and sheep in the fields surrounding them.

Easterhouse Farms
Larger version here

There seem to be others (though not sure if they are still working farms) on this side of the city such as...

Lochwood Farm; Blackfaulds Farm; Auchinleck Farm

I'm sure there are others to the north of the city as well, in the part of the lower Kelvin valley that falls within the city boundary. I expect there are examples elsewhere in the city as well.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Braehead B&Q Derelict Building - Shiels Farm

Postby shiels » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Fair point Glesga_Steve many thanks, although in my defence I said as far as I know, now I know better, thanks :oops:
shiels
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby peter » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Knew the place from my childhood days. We knew it as a farm back then but always thought it had been demolished long ago.
As for the old B&Q well Sainsbury will move in there in September.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:29 pm

shiels wrote:Fair point Glesga_Steve many thanks, although in my defence I said as far as I know, now I know better, thanks :oops:

No problem, I probably had the advantage as I've lived on this side of the city all my life and am familiar with (most of) the farms I mentioned.

Good luck finding photos of the farm and info on the future plans for the site :D
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)