Most violent streets in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Most violent streets in Glasgow

Postby red_kola » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:09 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Take your Cliched nonsense over here

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?act=idx

and stay there.

Thank you

If any of us had the power to veto posters and censor comments do you think you'd still be here?

Ignore him mairead, in this weather his gout's probably playing up.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:31 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I was reading up some Daily Records from the fifties. When we had the death sentence, hard labour, the belt, police assaulting anybody they disliked and you know what violent crime was being reported in a similar fashion as it is today.

Yeah, the poster did say 'Crime has always been with us'. Even Jesus got crucified.

Whit wiz yer actual figures for the 50's, big yin?
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:34 am

Here's some -

The Times, 1950

The provisional total of crimes accompanied by violence against persons in England and Wales in 1949 is recorded as 12,247 compared with 11,780 in 1948.

The BBC, 2005

The British Crime Survey (BCS) estimated that there were 2.4 million violent incidents against adults in England and Wales in 2004/05.

Maybe it's just the way they measure crime nowadays, mind you.
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:58 am

tedmaul wrote:Here's some -

The Times, 1950

The provisional total of crimes accompanied by violence against persons in England and Wales in 1949 is recorded as 12,247 compared with 11,780 in 1948.

The BBC, 2005

The British Crime Survey (BCS) estimated that there were 2.4 million violent incidents against adults in England and Wales in 2004/05.

Maybe it's just the way they measure crime nowadays, mind you.

I know it won't account for everything, and I'm not arguing that there hasn't been an increase, but you have to take into account the increase in population since 1948, and changes in the way in which crimes are reported.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

most biolent streets in Glasgow

Postby mairead » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:14 pm

My My Dexter St Claire. I seem to have hit a raw nerve with you don't I. Wonder why????
Anyway this is a forum for opinions and I am Just as entitled to mine as you are to yours.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:39 pm

Ally Doll wrote:I know it won't account for everything, and I'm not arguing that there hasn't been an increase, but you have to take into account the increase in population since 1948, and changes in the way in which crimes are reported.

I don't doubt there are many reasons for the difference in figures but, one thing's for sure, we need to get away from 'things were better/worse in the old days'. Can't be the only one sick to the back teeth of gangs of wee neds seemingly, and sometimes quite literally, getting away with murder.
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:22 pm

tedmaul wrote:=The provisional total of crimes accompanied by violence against persons in England and Wales in 1949 is recorded as 12,247 compared with 11,780 in 1948.

The BBC, 2005

One thing to bear in mind about the BCS is that it interviews a random sample of people and asks if they have been a victim of crime, reported or not. The number from the 40's relates to reported crime.

In 04/05, 3.6% of people reported in the BCS that they had experienced a violent incident, half of which resulted in no injury . 400,000 of these were domestic violence (largely unreported until recent years), 800,000 assaults by someone known to the victim (probably ditto) and so on.

Frankly, I remember the seventies as being a lot more violent than now.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

todays violent societies

Postby frank dawson » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:43 pm

Mairead,
I could not have put it better.
Ignore Dexter's snide comment.
You are entitled to your point of view.
Being elderly nowadays in this country is not respected.
You will be classed as a silly old fool if you express a point of view. :(
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 pm

It's a stinking world because there's no law and order any more. It's a stinking world because it lets the young get onto the old like you done. It's no world for an old man any more. What sort of a world is it at all? Men on the moon and men spinning around the earth and there's not no attention paid to earthly law and order no more.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:41 pm

My Kitten wrote:
It's a stinking world because there's no law and order any more. It's a stinking world because it lets the young get onto the old like you done. It's no world for an old man any more. What sort of a world is it at all? Men on the moon and men spinning around the earth and there's not no attention paid to earthly law and order no more.

People will only start moaning if you try to sneak in literature references like that :wink: .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:44 pm

Josef wrote:
My Kitten wrote:

People will only start moaning if you try to sneak in literature references like that :wink: .

hehe

just shows you nothing changes!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:48 pm

Well, I dunno - they only drank milk in those days. Imagine them on three bottles of White Lightning..
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Most violent streets in Glasgow

Postby mairead » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi Frank,
I'm afraid it takes more than a 'know it all' youngster to upset me. :).
Funny how the young seem to think they know more than we who have been around so much longer, seen so much more and done so much more.
They think we were born this age, but we know better, and believe me they will find out in time that youth is not immortality.
I excuse them a lot, because I know what is it to be young, whereas they have no idea what it is to be elderly, but as I read many years ago on an old tombstone,

"Remember this as you pass by, As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, one day you'll be, prepare ye then to follow me".
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:46 pm

mairead wrote:I'm afraid it takes more than a 'know it all' youngster to upset me. :).

Youngster? Dexter??? ::): ::): ::):
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:54 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)