Glasgow vs. Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby loafy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Edinburgh is a tourist town, nothing much them, and the locals are some of the rudest people on the planet. they never say sorry, excuse me

they just barge on in. manners dont cost.

glasgow is the city were it all happens, look at the money involved in glasgow, with business's wealth the personal wealth.

look at how the government focus's on glasgow as there selling point. look at the city layout, its one of the best.

i am proud to say i am from glasgow, cost its far superior to edinburgh in every sense
[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4717/goofplusteamhandsomegm3.jpg[/img]

The Goof
http://www.thegolf.co.uk
loafy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby awm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Could someone say something about the art in Glasgow? How many decent museums are there and such?
awm
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby awm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:07 pm

Another question...is there any decent downhill skiing in Scotland?
awm
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:00 pm

awm wrote:Could someone say something about the art in Glasgow? How many decent museums are there and such?

Try here http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:03 pm

awm wrote:Another question...is there any decent downhill skiing in Scotland?

You could play here http://www.xscape.co.uk/snow/braehead/

no idea about proper stuff though!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mori » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi Awm

have a wee look at this Glasgow forum and you will realize what the city is all about.
:)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=492
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:39 pm

loafy wrote:Edinburgh is a tourist town, nothing much them, and the locals are some of the rudest people on the planet. they never say sorry, excuse me
they just barge on in. manners dont cost.
glasgow is the city were it all happens, look at the money involved in glasgow, with business's wealth the personal wealth.
look at how the government focus's on glasgow as there selling point. look at the city layout, its one of the best.
i am proud to say i am from glasgow, cost its far superior to edinburgh in every sense

Look at the deprivation, the poverty, the begging, the junkies. Pouring money into tourism and museums and culture and bridges and paving stones when people are starving and dying and killing each other. Would it be lost on you (or just my damn cheek) if I was to mention education, y'know like grammer and stuff. :wink:

Glasgow is well connected and it's size goes a long way in it's success. Lets face it, once the new maritime museum is built complete, someone (in Edinburgh) clicks there fingers and a whole colection of boats get shipped out of Irivne to sit in Glasgow. Rings a bell with the science museum place too. Don't forget ALL THAT MONEY and the tower is usually shut. Now where was that comment about the "parasitic conurbation of Glasgow???" Could it be used the other way round?

The government concentrate on it because they lack imigination, and because of that people think Glasgow is where "it all happens." Rather than making things happen for themselves. As many Glaswegians hate the place as those who love it.

Far better shopping than Edinburgh though, Princes Street is shit!
BUT LOOK!!! No castle! ::):
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me Del, but that comment was mine and was perfectly pertinant in its original context. You talk about boats being taken from Irvine but exactly how viable are the boat's future in Irvine? Do I have to mention the Carrick/City of Adelaide? And were is this "new maritime museum" going to be built?

FYI, The Science Centre was largely funded from the Millenium Fund and cost YOU absolutely nothing, unless of course you played the lottery in the run up to the millenium and/or were living and paying Council Tax in Glasgow?

You talk about "deprivation, the poverty, the begging, the junkies" and "Pouring money into tourism and museums and culture and bridges and paving stones when people are starving and dying and killing each other", but which of the two cities are you describing - coz I can't tell the difference?

What has Dundee done to you!? ::):

Anywho...

Glasgow to live - Edinburgh for day trips! Have to agree with RK, as a Bostonian you'd feel more at ome in Glasgow, but then its all down to your needs.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby marginalwalker » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:19 pm

Edinburgh is much more laid back, more cosmopolitan. Like Glasgow it has its problems but I prefer Edinburgh and I will be moving there within the next 2 to 3 years.

I wont even give Glasgow's worms to gnaw at me remains when i am a cadaver..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby loafy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:46 pm

PlasticDel wrote:
Would it be lost on you (or just my damn cheek) if I was to mention education, y'know like grammer and stuff.

well i have a 1st class hons degree which i achieved when i was 20. i also have a hnd in civil engineering and not to mention i am dyslexic too i feel i do no to bad like!
[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4717/goofplusteamhandsomegm3.jpg[/img]

The Goof
http://www.thegolf.co.uk
loafy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:40 pm

This Glasgow vs Edinburgh shite gets right on my nipple ends. Two cities, 45 mins away from each other ffs :twisted: I have had many an enjoyable day out in Embra & suffered no problems with the locals.

To be honest though, I'm not too sure if I met any
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:17 pm

Having lived in both, I think that they both have lots to offer - I;ve had great times in both, and not so great times in both.

Edinburgh
Princes St is looking a bit down at heel, and parking in the centre is pricey, hence the growth of out of town shopping - Almondvale in Livingston, The Gyle, Ocean Terminal, Straiton and Kinnaird Park. On the other hand most city amenities are within walking distance. The local train service is a bit non-existant, but the buses are IMHO clean new and reasonably priced (£1 per journey and I think £2.50 for an all day ticket). Most buses run vis Princes St making connecting to another service quite easy. ERdinburgh ahs a lot of the main National galleries - Portrait Gallery, Royal Scottish Academy, Gallery of Modern Art. It also has 3 main theatres (Playhouse, Festival, Kings) and a concert venue (Usher Hall), a couple of comedy clubs and assortment of bars and clubs catering for most types of music. Most touring plays/west end shows visit both Edinburgh & Glasgow, but if they only visit one, as others have said its only a 45 journey by train from city centre to city centre.

Glasgow
Aggain a wide variety of theatres, from the KIngs & Pavillion through to the Tron, Arches, Citizens and Tramway at the more community based end of the spectrum. Glasgow has the SECC and so is on the Arena tours for most large bands. It also now has the Royal |Concert Hall and the City Halls if your tastes are more classical. Glasgow has many comedy clubs, music clubs, bars, pubs, nightclubs etc - in this respect I think the cities are quite similar (except at Festival time). Glasgow has many fantastic Art Galleries, mostly run by the City as opposed to centrally funded.

I like them both, but a city is more than the facilities and even more than the people - its the memories, and so Edinburgh swings it bya tiny margin in my mind, just because of what happened while I was tehre. Mind I haven't beejn in Glasgow as long yet, so there is still time for it to steal my heart.....
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 pm

One big difference I noticed in Edinburgh, and the surrounding area, is the small amount of graffiti compared to Glasgow.
Even the well to do areas of Glasgow have a lot of graffiti, especially on the electrical boxes, & bus shelters.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shuggie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 pm

dave2 wrote:It also has 3 main theatres (Playhouse, Festival, Kings) and a concert venue (Usher Hall)
The Royal Lyceum, The Traverse and The Queens Hall all now have you on thier hit list ::):
Last edited by Shuggie on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shuggie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby applemaca » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Glasgow for the shopping & the atmosphere, Edinburgh for the history & the sheer beauty of her views.

Her views are indeed beautiful......largely becuase of her aversion to wearing knickers below her fur coat...... :D :wink:
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)