Most violent streets in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby LostSoul » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:13 am

JayKay wrote:....I've seen junkies shooting up, openly dealing and dead bodies being carted away in stations elsewhere, along with the usual violent/threatening beggars, prozzys and bewildered American backpackers.

Sure you ain't talking about the newsagents round the corner from me ?
FIR F**K'S SAKE....S E A R C H
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:28 am

LostSoul wrote: Isn't everyone missing one important point - is it not the case that most citites in the UK if not the world suffer a concentration of crime (including violent crime) in and around the central station area ?? It's hardly surprising given the amount of human traffic passing through such a place each day.

No, I don't see that it is inevitable - that if you insist on having a train station in the city centre then, ergo, you must accept there will be high levels of serious violence, robbery and assault. No, I don't accept that at all. The police might, mind you. In fact, they already seem to.

LostSoul wrote:An ugly concentration of crime ? yes - Unique to Glasgow or worse than any other big city ?....no.

It's not South Africa, no, but Glasgow is a very violent city - the most violent in the UK last year, IIRC - and shrugging our shoulders or pointing to the crime figures in Bogota really isn't good enough.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby LostSoul » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:51 am

tedmaul wrote:No, I don't see that it is inevitable - that if you insist on having a train station in the city centre then, ergo, you must accept there will be high levels of serious violence, robbery and assault. No, I don't accept that at all.

I'm not saying it's something that should be accepted, or that it in any way excuses what goes on, nor am i saying that every single city on the planet with a central station has a similar problem, but the majority certainly do.
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby trudger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:16 pm

I think the city has always been a bit dodgy, its perhaps worse now than when I used to 'trudge' the streets around the centre and west end.

Where problems have escalated though is in the peripheral estates and surrounding towns. I feel we are on the brink of losing control, I have seen so much crime over the past few years and have contacted police so many times that I'm now at the point where I just cant be arsed, you have to try and ignore it or you would just get depressed. The majority of these crimes have been committed by young people and neither I nor the people whose lives are blighted by their behaviour dont care if they are criminalised. You cant blame teachers and I dont reckon you can blame the police but you sure as hell CAN blame the parents, courts and government.

Anyway, apart from that everythings great.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:29 pm

Having had my 3 score and a wee bit of the ten, may I offer MHO?
I keep hearing 'no fear of the consequences/punishment' in these discussions. Why do the neds/nedettes not think of this, is it because it's no big deal, soft sentencing, badge of honour etc?
I'm on the fence regarding coporal punishment, but it worked in the Isle of Man where there were all the ingredients for some serious trouble with young lads from all the big cities, tanked up and showing off to the burds, but I never saw much bother, fear of the birch? I think so.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:01 pm

I just don't see why these threads get started on this topic :? What's the point, why the need for the breast-beating of 'Oh-my-God-we-live-in-such-a dangerous-city'.

It's not far from the other one that crops up now and again; the 'Oh-my-God-what-do-you-think-the-worst-street-in-Glasgow-is'

Why use a site such as Hidden Glasgow to drag alll this stuff out? Duh it's a site for fun and the hidden treasures of Glasgow you know :roll:

Must be a great advert for Glasgow when people across the world log onto Hidden Glasgow and see the graphic at the start of this thread; there again that's fun isn't it, not to be taken serious right?

I've seen and lived through some nastiness in Glasgow, but I can say that all the worst violence I have seen in my life has been in other cities in the U.K.

OMG I just thought - that last bit will encourage somebody to start a thread on 'Oh-God-what's-the-other-most-violent-city-in-the-UK-that-you-have been-to' :cry:
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:36 pm

Well i see it as a massive problem on the increase escot.

Gangs of kids as young as 10 being able to terorrise nieghbourhoods and ruin peoples lives with one strike of a blade.

Their was never a time i worried about my kids being out and waiting for a bus untill recently.

Unitil you expereince it personally-you dont know ...you only hear and read about the violence that reeks our streets.

Something radical has to be done to curb the problem, i dont know what as i know the authorities have tried a few things like knife amnesty.

The Gang culture is rife and on the increase again, i like yourself have seen a lot of violence on the streets during the 60s and 70s but now its really really worse than i ever seen it then.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Esco like many of the people on HG I am pretty well traveled. I lived in Toronto . Brought up in Drumchapel and spent time in Brooklyn and also lived in Brixton just after the riots. O and was deported from Jersey. Apart from Geriatric Jersey all of the other places had real social problems. Just because you dont speak about them does,nt mean they are not there. Brixton was a brilliant place to live. The world new all about its troubles but it still got visited.Brooklyn has its ghettos but it also has a culture. I fully accept your point. It is totally legitimte.But I think it should be discussed.I also think that the ET was partly sensationalising. We have people on HG from around the world who fully accept that Gladgow is no Shangrila .But the city and its people are trying like fuck to make it better. I was one of the biggest critics of GDC when I first came on here .Gradually over the past wee while our city is taking on a better image, unfortunatly we do have a ned culture and it must be addressed by everybody. Lets not ignore it or brush it under the carpet.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:03 pm

I am with Mori on this one. I am currently working on a couple of Projects in the heart of Glasgow and i am astonished at the amount of threatening and violent behaviour and indeed serious assault which goes on in the heart of Glasgow in broad daylight.

If you are a single guy from the age of eight to eighty - there are many areas of Glasgow where it is risky to walk about on your own, as essentially you can become a target. All you need is a group of our Shell Suited heroes in the 13 - 15 age group who will see you as sport. If you ignore them when they goad you then you might just get away with it, or they might decide to set about you anyway for ignoring them.

If you tell them to f*** off then you would be as well to phone the Ambulance before they reach you.

Sorry, Escoty i don't like the fact that it happens either, we can bury our heads in the sand about the violent crime and all the other social ills in Glasgow, but it won't make them go away.

Sure there are a lot of positives happening in Glasgow but let's not get complacent....eh?

I was watching TV the other week about one of the recent Knife Amnesty periods in Scotland, i think they said that the Police took something like 26,000 knifes. How many blades are still out there?

It is not the same as the "old days" when gangs would set about each other and leave the general public in relative peace. These days it is innocent bystanders, the Citizens of this City who are the victims.

I am pleased that this thread has got a decent debate on the topic going, when i read the title i thought it was about a list of streets that were no go areas.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:31 pm

I broadly agree with everything that Socceroo says, but couldn't you just replace 'Glasgow' with 'a city' in every case?

I remember being a teenager myself, and being out with a largish group of my (eminently decent) contemporaries, and seeing middle-aged and older people warily skirt us when they could have just as well have walked through the middle, and wondering why they took us for potential trouble. Now I am a bit older myself, I realise that what was missing is the knowledge of cultural cues; you simply can't tell whether they are potential trouble or not. As a result, everyone appears to be a potential threat, so the perception is that everyone of that age is a potential threat, and therefore there are far more threatening people around than there used to be.

I don't believe this. It may be dangerous to go out alone in x number of areas of the city, but x is essentially invariable.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby LostSoul » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:34 pm

escotregen wrote:but I can say that all the worst violence I have seen in my life has been in other cities in the U.K.

I'm not so sure that'd stand - last Thursday i watched a man punch a woman as hard as he could three times in the face outside my front window, and this at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. The following day at tea time i was to witness a man dragging his female partner down the street by the hair, i dread to think what happened when they turned the corner.

It would seem that violence doesn't happen in the classic sense here, it's not all Friday nights or after football matches, it's day to day, regardless of the hour or who is involved.
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:04 pm

For what it`s worth, the first 2 scenes of domestic violence i witnessed were not at home ::): but on the street outside a pub where twice i saw a woman beating her man up (really violently) when i was about 6 or 7 years old 8O
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 pm

scaryman2u wrote:For what it`s worth, the first 2 scenes of domestic violence i witnessed were not at home ::): but on the street outside a pub where twice i saw a woman beating her man up (really violently) when i was about 6 or 7 years old 8O

::): Must have burst open his paypacket on a friday night before goin home and handin it to the wife .
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:00 am

It's not just Glasgow in which violence is on the increase. Society
in itself is becoming more violent, in a more social evolutionary form.
It's even not a cultural issue, we just have to look at Paris as an
example. I'm packing the suitcase and heading for St Kilda.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:18 am

To my amazement I agree with Vladimir

That reminds me of those times when people are asked what they think of this or that left wing politician, and the answer given always starts like: 'I don't agree with his politics, but...' ::):

I think we should employ this man, previously seen on 'Still Game'...

:roll: ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)