Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:48 pm

It isnt hidden at all.... There is a sign on Paisley Road West at The Doctors pub pointing towards it... go up that street and you really can't miss it
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:49 pm

Kinning Park is a bit off the beaten track but then it is very much a local subway station. It doesn't have a park and ride facility like Shields Road and West St., nor does it function as an interchange with buses like Cessnock does.

Actually its catchment area is much smaller than it used to be - at one time this was a very densely populated district housing large numbers of workers in various local industries. Decanting, motorway development and de-industrialisation eventually cut the population down to its current level.

The entrance to Kinning Park was originally via a tenement in Cornwall Street, rather like Kelvinhall is today - the passageway ran more or less where the white van is parked in the picture.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:01 am

McShad wrote:It isnt hidden at all.... There is a sign on Paisley Road West at The Doctors pub pointing towards it... go up that street and you really can't miss it

Really ? I did look for one :?
Certain entrances should be a bit more obvious to visitors. This one in Buchanan Street doesn't even have a sign saying what it is (apart from two easily covered plaques).

Viceroy, do you think the Kinning Park station is well sign posted ? The Subway is a huge asset to the city, it's stations should always be very obvious. Especially the under used south side stations.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 am

The Buchanan St entrances also still say Underground, as do the signs in Queen St station. I thought we were suppossed to call it Subway now.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hauzen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:06 pm

Is there much merit in an exploration of the route above the subway line?

I've completed about 2/3 of the walk around the circle line of the Seoul subway (43 stops in total, so taking a while to do it in bits and pieces) and have found quite a number of interesting sights and places that aren't really on the beaten track.

I think I've walked over a fair section of the Glasgow subway already though (St. Enoch --> Cowcaddens in town, St. George's Cross --> Partick when I lived in the west end and I sometimes wandered along to Kinning Park from Cessnock just for a wee change when I lived down there) but I'm not really familiar with what's above the southside section of the line.

Surely potential for a photo project there? :)
Hauzen
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby McShad » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:54 pm

I don't think there is really that much significant above ground except for the yard at govan and the derelict building that housed the cables
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:30 pm

shaunybhoy wrote:
glasgowken wrote:
McShad wrote:It isnt hidden at all.... There is a sign on Paisley Road West at The Doctors pub pointing towards it... go up that street and you really can't miss it

Really ? I did look for one :?
Certain entrances should be a bit more obvious to visitors. This one in Buchanan Street doesn't even have a sign saying what it is (apart from two easily covered plaques).

Viceroy, do you think the Kinning Park station is well sign posted ? The Subway is a huge asset to the city, it's stations should always be very obvious. Especially the under used south side stations.

(you must be a bit thick not to work out the big escalators going down lead to the subway or something seriously underground :-)

I'm talking about making it obvious to visitors, especially up that hilly end of Buchanan Street, there are other entrances and stairs going off into the new development.
And remember many visitors might not even be aware we have a Subway.

Hi Hauzen, I have to agree with McShad. Apart from the old power station, the depot, and maybe the old light well at Kelvinhall, there's not much to see above ground.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:42 pm

I tend to agree, intuitivly I'd be looking for a BIG "U" for underground or something if i didnt know where it was. This could be the entrance to more shops or anything really!!

Like the bridge ( as in the arc should prob have been simply the finnieston bridge), why have people wondering or problem solving when you could just tell it like it is.

Its all about usability, which is something inherent in GOOD design.

Anyone inhterested in further reading Id recommend Don Normans the design of everyday things. It really does make you see your whole environment differently, and leave you screaming at the poor design that surrounds us.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:51 pm

Yayyy, someone agrees, thanks Sharon :D
They used to call the Subway "Glasgow's best kept secret", unless it's made a bit more obvious to strangers, it could stay that way.
Hopefully when the refurbishment work is done, it will include a new sign.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:09 pm

On a similar note, I've recently had several tourists ask me where the subway is (at Kelvinhall) - as there's no sign outside no one seems to ba able to find it!

I've also had folk ask where Kelvingrove is, but that's maybe them being dopey and not seeing the great big signs in the shop window.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:31 pm

I was waiting for a friend outside kelvinhall station, at the end of the walkway on Dumbarton Road. I was asked twice where it was
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:08 pm

It was a mistake to do away with the big "U", SPT should have came up with something as distinctive after the name change.
A big "S" would do, the wee SPT logo isn't very eyecatching.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:47 pm

An "S" or "U" seem the obvious choices - something that could also be used as an icon on maps... which are currently shown as....
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby motman » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:40 pm

glasgowken wrote:Yayyy, someone agrees, thanks Sharon :D
They used to call the Subway "Glasgow's best kept secret", unless it's made a bit more obvious to strangers, it could stay that way.
Hopefully when the refurbishment work is done, it will include a new sign.

Any update on the so-called refurb of the clockwork orange GK? Or has it been put on the back burner by SPT (nae money etc)? :cry:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:47 pm

Don't know motman, I don't have any inside info unfortunately.
Although the fact that the trains are usually manky probably says a lot about the cash situation :( I think whatever happens, it won't be happening very quickly.
What we need is a mole inside the Subway (groan ::): ) to get us the insider sp.

The SPT Interchange newspaper usually has some info on the changes, although as it's published by SPT, expect a fair bit of PR spin :wink:

It can be downloaded here,
http://www.spt.co.uk/publications/inter ... index.html
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects