Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:29 pm

You'll find it here.

http://tinyurl.com/jc7yk
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Hauzen wrote:I remember the halcyon days of Missing well, with the store on Great Western Road

Had many bargains in there thanks to skint uni students offloading their collections for beer vouchers :D

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby suprastar » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:50 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
AlanM wrote:Music Mania: used to be at the bottom of Byres Rd.

Was owned by an American chap with a 'tache. Had a good selection of stuff and would sometimes throw in samplers sent by the record companies if you were buying something similar.

There was a record shop on the site currently occupied by The Haugh I think.

I remember Music Mania I think the guy that owned it was from Canada and something springs to mind about him living in Paisley? Don't know why? The Haugh was previously the Living Room for many years, Music Mania was just up from it, I think it turned into a printer ink shop can't remeber if it is still that or possibly a jewellers now.

Echo was a great shop, sadly missed by myself now. As you looked at it the left hand one was second hand and the right hand one was new releases etc.

Missing I remeber was in Oswald Street with a little upsatirs bit at the back. They then opened up a bigger store towards the traffic lights but still kept the smaller one. Then I believe the opened up the other ones at Trongate, Great Western Road and also in Clydebank shopping centre. I think they shut the ones in Oswald Street to open up a bigger store in Wellington Street.

Anyone also remeber Record Fayre? I believe the one is still open just up from Terry's Tattoos. There was also one in Stockwell Street and I'm sure there was one in Argyll Market.

:D
you shall rue this day.... well go on rue!
suprastar
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JayKay » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:03 pm

suprastar wrote:
Anyone also remeber Record Fayre? I believe the one is still open just up from Terry's Tattoos. There was also one in Stockwell Street and I'm sure there was one in Argyll Market.

yeah, Record Fayre was originally in Argyll market, then expanded into the shops. Had a good stock of 'special italian import' live CDs at pretty low prices too.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby chipsteak » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:05 pm

JayKay wrote:
suprastar wrote:

yeah, Record Fayre was originally in Argyll market, then expanded into the shops. Had a good stock of 'special italian import' live CDs at pretty low prices too.

Hah! I forgot all about its days in the Argyll Market. Good place to go should you need a heavy metal tshirt of dubious origin!
chipsteak
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:23 pm

The Haugh was previously the Living Room for many years,

And some time before that it was The Cartwheel restaurant and before that there was a record shop which sold classical and warehouse cut outs and overstock. It wasn't Music Mania which as you say was further up.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:48 pm

The department stores like Lewisis and Arnot simpsons used to have their own internal record stores did they not ?

I remeber the Lewisis one for deffinite not too sure about arnots.

The old Woolworths @ Paisley road toll as well i think had a record store.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:23 pm

yeah, i think one of my mates used to work in the one in lewis's

suprastar wrote:Missing I remeber was in Oswald Street with a little upsatirs bit at the back. They then opened up a bigger store towards the traffic lights but still kept the smaller one. Then I believe the opened up the other ones at Trongate, Great Western Road and also in Clydebank shopping centre. I think they shut the ones in Oswald Street to open up a bigger store in Wellington Street.

wasn't there missing stores in pollock shopping centre and the forge at one point too - not that i ever physically saw them but i'm sure they used to list all their stores on the poly bags

or maybe i dreamt them up
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:29 pm

There was one in the forge, maybe the forge market.
When they opened the trongate branch they had a large section devoted to albums of both rebel songs and orange tunes. Not on the same albums obviously.
Didn't have this in any of their other shops i don't think.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Mori wrote:The department stores like Lewisis and Arnot simpsons used to have their own internal record stores did they not ?

I remeber the Lewisis one for deffinite not too sure about arnots.

The old Woolworths @ Paisley road toll as well i think had a record store.

Arnotts had one. Even M&S sold their own brand CD's for a while.

For a time in the eighties if Woolworth's did not stock your single it would and could not be chart entry. I think Tesco's sell a similar proportion of Chart CD's.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=412350&in_page_id=2
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hauzen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:36 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:You'll find it here.

http://tinyurl.com/jc7yk

Hmm.. will need to investigate those, thanks.
I was tempted more by the bargain basement price of the CD in Missing though than the prices quoted on that site, and I'm not sure Wendy James is worth that much :wink:

Also I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but the book shop that used to be next to Hillhead subway station (can't remember what it was called) had a reasonably decent CD section on the third floor, with a lot of music listings and concert posters on and around the doorway at the top of the steps.
Hauzen
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AlanM » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:39 am

Hauzen wrote:Also I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but the book shop that used to be next to Hillhead subway station (can't remember what it was called) had a reasonably decent CD section on the third floor, with a lot of music listings and concert posters on and around the doorway at the top of the steps.

That was John Smith's, they had a good selection and very knowledgable staff.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hauzen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:42 am

AlanM wrote:
Hauzen wrote:Also I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but the book shop that used to be next to Hillhead subway station (can't remember what it was called) had a reasonably decent CD section on the third floor, with a lot of music listings and concert posters on and around the doorway at the top of the steps.

That was John Smith's, they had a good selection and very knowledgable staff.

A-ha.. that name rang a bell but I wasn't entirely sure.

Hauzen
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:25 pm

cheesemonster wrote:yeah, i think one of my mates used to work in the one in lewis's

suprastar wrote:Missing I remeber was in Oswald Street with a little upsatirs bit at the back. They then opened up a bigger store towards the traffic lights but still kept the smaller one. Then I believe the opened up the other ones at Trongate, Great Western Road and also in Clydebank shopping centre. I think they shut the ones in Oswald Street to open up a bigger store in Wellington Street.

wasn't there missing stores in pollock shopping centre and the forge at one point too - not that i ever physically saw them but i'm sure they used to list all their stores on the poly bags

or maybe i dreamt them up

Before Crusty gets you cheesemonster you better edit Pollock - Pollok. Yes there was for a short time a Missing in the Pollok Shopping Centre. I remember the owner thought this would be successfull following a number of enquiries from people in Pollok. Unfortunately it was the wrong place at the wrong time. Hope the new Silverburn has a good music store when it opens its doors next autumn.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:39 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Hope the new Silverburn has a good music store when it opens its doors next autumn.

It'll probably have a Virgin Megastore or a HMV, but it's open to debate whether those are actually good music stores... :( :roll:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects