WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby cumbo » Mon May 10, 2004 5:54 pm

Pub at the island at Gorbals was Derry Trainers.Had a nail bomb thrown through the front door after old firm match late 70's ? 8) nice touch ::):
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri May 14, 2004 2:36 pm

Cawdor vaults, is still there
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri May 21, 2004 12:28 am

Anne wrote:8)
Now I wonder if anyone knows owt about this..??..Ive been told that there are remenants of slave prisons under shops in the fruit market??? Does that sound cool and interesting or what??!! Anyone with even the slightest clue as to what im refering to speak now!!! Cheers.

I'm 90% sure there is certain streets and housing that you can access under the streets of Glasgow. I would imagine that if you were to contact the City Chambers, tours can be aranged? :)
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri May 21, 2004 2:05 pm

On the subject of ideas, I think it would be good to do something on "Duke Street Jail"? My dad sat and told me how he used to run up and press the bell as a youngster, before running away to get clear of the large guard on duty. I remember singing a song at the Glasgow Garden Festival called "Down in Duke St Jail" dressed as a Victorian lad from the 1880's, but can't remember the words? I found a link registering the last execution in Scottish prisons during the 20th centuary...http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/scottish.html

Any info or pics peeps?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Fri May 21, 2004 2:16 pm

[/url]http://64.4.48.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=18dc003b37e233eb74dd0dc891c4f6af&lat=1085148587&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehiddenglasgow%2ecom%2fforums%2fprivmsg%2ephp%3ffolder%3dinbox

gazza

Hopefully this should take you to the topic in the coffee lounge a while back. Loads of great pics posted

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Fri May 21, 2004 2:17 pm

then again maybe not :roll: :roll:
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri May 21, 2004 2:42 pm

:), no probs Kirsty thanx for trying. I've been browsing for ages but can't get a single pic! Allegidaly the origional wall is still standing at the flats across from the great eastern, so I'll have a wee look at the weekend.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Fri May 21, 2004 2:52 pm

The wall is still there, If you walk right into the drygate you get a better impression as their is one big tall chunk of it left. Peoples Palace has a lot of stuff including a cell door 8O

kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri May 21, 2004 3:27 pm

Kirsty wrote:The wall is still there, If you walk right into the drygate you get a better impression as their is one big tall chunk of it left. Peoples Palace has a lot of stuff including a cell door 8O

kirsty

Thanks alot, yur a wee starImage
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri May 21, 2004 3:28 pm

This may the thread you were after... http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119 :wink:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kirsty » Fri May 21, 2004 3:31 pm

Thanks Sharon.

I will get the hang of this caper one day :roll:

kirsty ::):
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri May 21, 2004 3:39 pm

Sharon, thanks very mutch for that. The pictures are great and my Dad'll love them!

Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sciuro » Wed May 26, 2004 10:33 am

DickyHart wrote:I guess your right, it would be nice to see it all and document it before its all pulled down.

a small group of us visited ruchill at the weekend. managed to find a way into the main (most western) building. some photos are (temporarily) at:

http://mailgate.duncanthomson.com/~dunc ... /20040523/

(ignore the tunnel ones at the beginning and the rat ones at the end...)

i'll put these photos in a more permanent place sometime and will reply on this thread with the URL.

cheers,

-duncan
sciuro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Osiris » Thu May 27, 2004 2:00 pm

I am a big Iain Banks fan and have often thought it would be good to have an online source of the places mentioned in his books, in Glasgow and further afield.

There are loads of places mentioned in Espedair Street and a few in The Crow Road, The Bridge and The Wasp Factory. The good thing is a lot of the places are actually visitable, some of them being pubs and niteclubs.

I'm an even bigger fan of Iain M Banks but I think some of the places mentioned in those books might be a tad out of reach.

Cheers, J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Thu May 27, 2004 9:22 pm

Osiris wrote:I am a big Iain Banks fan and have often thought it would be good to have an online source of the places mentioned in his books, in Glasgow and further afield.

There are loads of places mentioned in Espedair Street and a few in The Crow Road, The Bridge and The Wasp Factory. The good thing is a lot of the places are actually visitable, some of them being pubs and niteclubs.

I'm an even bigger fan of Iain M Banks but I think some of the places mentioned in those books might be a tad out of reach.

Cheers, J

I would like to see something similar for Alasdair Gray. In Lanark he doesn't make any direct references IIRC to places in Glasgow, but have always been curious to know where the settings are. Any ideas?
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects