Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 am

I noticed that the other day.... lack of imagination cause they are all Tongs! They are all getting knocked down anyway (The buildings that is)
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 pm

The burned out bit of Walmer Crescent -

The plaque says "Alexander Thomson Heritage Trail" round the outside, "Walmer Crescent 1857" in the middle

But at the other end of the crescent someone is making a difference -

Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jack » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 pm

I sent an e-mail to the council, to Mike Fraser/Heritage and Design, about the burnt out part of the crescent. He replyed yesterday and sent me a copy of the letter [below] which he/the council has sent to the owners of the burnt out property.

It might be worth getting in touch with him sunflower his e-mail address is [email protected]. He might be able to tell you and the residents association more.

Our Ref. CON/MF/9/9
Mr Fraser Ext.8631

Addressees (see list at end of letter)

Dear Sir

PLANNING (LISTED BUILDINGS AND CONSERVATION AREAS) (SCOTLAND) ACT, 1997: PROPERTY AT 18 WALMER CRESCENT (GROUND AND BASEMENT FLAT), CESSNOCK, GLASGOW

I am writing to you concerning this property, in which I believe you have an ownership interest. It is part of a category ‘A’ listed Terrace in the Walmer Crescent Conservation Area.

It is implicit that within this listing, that both the interior and exterior of the building are protected by law. It is also the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the property is kept in a good state of repair, remains wind and watertight and in a safe and secure condition.

Unfortunately, it is clear that the condition of this flat which is vacant, is poor and deteriorating and cannot be considered wind and watertight. From a recent external site inspection, I observed a number of windows open/broken and with glass missing and graffiti around the Harley Street elevation and the front stair well. In short, the current appearance of your property is having a negative effect on the character and amenity of the Terrace. I am aware that planning and listed building consent were granted to Walmer Developments Ltd during 2005 for the subdivision of the ground and basement level with associated internal alterations; however, no work has commenced to date on this project. It is possible that the internal condition of your flat may well be affecting the remainder of this building the longer it remains in its current derelict state.

Regarding the condition of the property, you are required to carry out measures immediately to effect the proper security of the building as follows:

·Remove all broken glass from windows
·Cover all windows with exterior grade plywood with small holes punched through to allow for ventilation. The boards should be painted black.
·Remove graffiti from stairwell area and elsewhere on building. (Please note: For the successful removal of graffiti from stonework, the correct methodology must be applied and in this respect, you are asked to contact a reputable contractor to supply you with a method statement of how this will be done and supply same to this Department in the first instance for approval. A list of stonework contractors is enclosed with this letter for your assistance.)

I look forward to hearing from you within 14 days of the date of this letter to the effect that you are attending to the matters stated in this letter; at this time, access can be arranged for the internal inspection of your property. I would remind you that under the terms of Section 49 and 50 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act, 1997; this Council can serve an ‘urgent works notice’ upon you to secure the necessary repairs in default.

Yours faithfully

M Fraser
Senior Planning Officer/Heritage and Design

This letter should be addressed to the following please:

Lycraig Properties Ltd, (Mr I Currie Thomson), 137 Dukes Road, Burnside, Glasgow, G73 5AE
Walmer Developments Ltd, 18 Harley Street, Glasgow, G51 1AH
David Mitchell Plastering and Building, 18 Harley Street, Glasgow, G51 1AH
David Mitchell, 45 Drumchapel Road, Glasgow, G15 6PS
Douglas McKirkle, 55 Craigieburn Gardens, Glasgow, G20 ONU
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sunflower » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:56 pm

Wow. :D :D :D

Well Done that man, take a bonus point. And another one!

That's brilliant Jack, have you got Special Powers? None of my various exchanges with the council about anything has produced anything a tenth as constructive (I must be doing it wrong). The association has been in contact with the council, but not got far. (As far as I know, to be honest - our contact person is away at the mo.)

A miraculous transformation in a fortnight then - that'll be about 6 Sept. (Holding my breath)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Result 8O 8O :!: :D

Black-painted wood with holes drilled in being fastened onto the windows of No. 18 even as I write.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jack » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:11 pm

That's Brilliant
Looking forward to checking it out tonight
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby McShad » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Will I nip along with the camera just now? ;)
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:02 pm

:) Oh yes (if it's not too late) - and one of the graffiti too, ready for the before and after on that...

(10 mins later) Then again, I've just been past - they haven't done the side yet, maybe wait till tomorrow?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:52 am

Sunflower you did do well! I love it when folks get up and do something as opposed to just the easy moaning. As a Thomson admirer who has tried to do his bit about conserving the Thomson legacy I'm indebted to you.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:26 pm

Well thank you Escotregen - believe me I'd love to bask in the glory, but it was Jack emailing the council (and knowing who to send it to, and (I'm guessing) putting the words together to press the right buttons) that got things moving. Indebtedness passed on to you, Jack...

And not forgetting Hidden Glasgow, without which nothing would have happened - form a circle everyone, pats on the back all round.

(I'll let you know when/if something happens with the graffiti.)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:49 am

http://cameronwebster.com/news/ResidenceAssociation.htm

cameronwebster architects offices are based in Walmer Crescent, designed by Alexander "Greek" Thompson. In setting up Walmer Crescent Residents Association, cameronwebster aim to restore the crescent and surrounding area with help from local community. A feasibility study to report on the structural stability of the crescent and landscape and traffic issues, amongst other concerns is currently out to tender.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

walmer crescent feasibility study/cameronwebster architects

Postby porridge » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:15 am

Funds have still to be found for the feasibility study.

cameronwebster architects are not carrying it out, but will be acting on behalf of the client (the walmer crescent association) to ensure it meets their requirements.

The walmer crescent association was founded by a number of residents, and anyone interested in the restoration of the crescent can join. (membership £5)
porridge
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jack » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:18 am

How do you get in touch with the association? Do they have a website or e-mail address.
I think Sunflower mentioned that they meet up every month...to clean up the area in front of the crescent....is it this weekend?
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sunflower » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:09 am

Yes, this Saturday there'll be some people out the front from 10.00 till 12.00 - spot the litter pickers and black bags! Come and say Hello :)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hauzen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:57 pm

(Long time forum reader, first-time poster)

I lived in the Cessnock area (Ibrox Street, can't remember the number) for about six or seven months seven years ago whilst at University, and this thread was an interesting read. I quite fancied one of the houses in Walmer Crescent and preferred walking along that path than PRW on the way from Cessnock station as I liked looking at the buildings. The verge at the back of the shops was never the nicest though as has been mentioned on this thread, so I hope a fair few folk can turn out on Saturday and help Sunflower with the cleaning project :)

I seem to recall there was a shop (possibly antique or furniture) at the Walmer Crescent end of Ibrox Street that was owned by a Celtic fan who used to display a Celtic shirt on occasion when Rangers were playing at home. Memory might be playing tricks on me but I'm sure he had a window or two boarded up after a match once, unsurprisingly. That may be the product of my brain confusing images of interesting events back in Bonnie Scotland though so if anyone else could confirm this to be the case then it would be greatly appreciated :wink:
Hauzen
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)