Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Its great to hear you're having some success Sunflower, might even join you' one Saturday! A draft letter might be something your association could consider putting together and we could post link to it from here? I totally agree that you should lose the trees (get Network Rail in :wink: ) and the shops should be restored to some semblance of uniformity. I would also urge GCC to treat the apparent lack of interest from the developer who owns the burnt out property with the same brevity as was done with Stefan King and the former GPO Building. If push came to shove, and it was a choice between the two, I'd see that gone before this crescent.

JamesMc wrote:Past, past & present

Paisley Rd West, in front of Walmer Crescent 1926

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Mori » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:51 pm

Aye walmer cres has been left to dilapidate over the years, i can remeber a scheme by the council to demolish all the shops on PRW just for the sake of making the AGT Building as a tourist attraction... needless to say that never came to fruit as to as you say absentee landlords and lack of interest from the owners, the biggest obstacle was from the shopowners not willing to sell out to the council as they were offering peanuts for their properties.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:05 pm

These pictures are a number of years old I think. The boarded up flats have all been occupied for quite a while and the council housing behind Walmer Crescent, in Middleton St., has been renovated.

As for demolishing the row of shops, I would say a much bigger issue than the amount of compensation given to the shopkeepers would be the amenity loss to the neighbourhood [as I already mentioned in my previous post], and would, quite rightly, meet with considerable local opposition.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:47 pm

BigCraig wrote:Wow - thats more than i've written in the years i've been on here!

Yeh, sorry for going on.

BigCraig wrote:I posted because I think they look like awesome flats and i love the way the underground station has been integrated with the building - very cool.

You've got great taste in buildings...

BigCraig wrote:Perhaps a funraiser for a 50ft electric fence around the crescent is whats needed. ::):

I was rooting for machine gun emplacements, but I was outvoted.

BigCraig wrote:Best of luck with your efforts...and welcome to HG

Thank you, Big Craig.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:06 pm

And thank you everyone else for supportive words. I'm working on Crusty's idea for a draft letter (any chance of the same kind of action as when everyone piled in for the aerial pics? :wink: )

As for the shops, they look awful but they are useful - and not just because they cut down the traffic noise from PRW. And they seem to do OK as businesses - no empty ones, unlike most of the rest of that bit of PRW.

I'd like to see them spruced up like the ones at Linthouse, where you come out of the tunnel, now being known as Linthouse Urban Village - I find the Argyle St ones a bit too uniform and soulless. It would help if they could do something with their rubbish other than pile it up on the narrow pavement. But that's back to the council, so not holding my breath.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:16 pm

viceroy wrote:...but to refer to them as looking like the Lebanese border frontline is a huge exaggeration

it was meant to be :wink:

viceroy wrote:Even, I would suggest, a tad offensive to those whose personal circumstances leave them with no option but to live in an area of low cost housing such as Ibrox.

I wasn't being offensive, really, however the cost of housing should not be a factor in wether or not the residents (young and old) give a shit about litter, behaviour, cleaning their windows, cutting the grass, etc etc - although sadly it often is.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby McShad » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:05 am

They can knock the co-op down.... its a bloody rip-off
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:14 am

You should get a job in Building Control McShad :wink:
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby jack » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:16 am

Good effort Sunflower, I may come and join on the clean up, I have to agree that the area around the shop units is really manky. Those pesky kids from Bellahouston Academy come over fill their faces with pies and chips and chuck all their rubbish, and half their lunch all over the street. It's really bad in North Gower street and Clifford Street as well.

Glasgow council seem to close their eyes to anything Alexander greek thomson related and plough all their money in to mackintosh. It's such a shame, Thomsons buildings are left crumbling and then suddenly it's announced their unsafe, and are demolished two days later. Residents of Walmer should get together take over one of the shop units and have some thomson info and sell some thomson merchandise.

sorry I seem to have gone on a rant.

one of the ground floor flats is for sale in walmer cresent....and there is some more pics

http://www.s1homes.com/buying/search/2006072419070999.shtml
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jack » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:45 pm

There may be some useful information, for your letter, in this.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... walmer.rtf
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby McShad » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:28 pm

crusty_bint wrote:You should get a job in Building Control McShad :wink:

They should put me in charge of the council budget... I'll stop tham spending money on total crap

Like the oswald street ball(ocks) fountain
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:31 pm

McShad wrote:They should put me in charge of the council budget... I'll stop tham spending money on total crap

Don't you sell ringtones for mobile fones?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby McShad » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:33 pm

Yeah, but if the public want to waste there money, thats their choice.... I do it because its a profitable market worth a couple billion
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:53 pm

jack wrote:one of the ground floor flats is for sale in walmer cresent....and there is some more pics

http://www.s1homes.com/buying/search/2006072419070999.shtml

I like the phrase 'Lower Level'. It's a fucking basement! Might be hard to sell, stuck in the middle between the Subway entrance and the chippie at the end of the shopping parade. On the other hand the price is about par for the course for the area, so you never know. Not for me anyway. Personally I'm fed up to the back teeth with living in a tenement.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:13 pm

I suppose this belongs in the graffiti thread but I'm in a cynical mood this evening. :evil:

viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)