Street Furniture

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Wed May 24, 2006 8:49 pm

It would be Land Services who are responsible for street furniture. The problem would be getting one out in one piece.

I will see if the have any plans to remove any in the near future.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Craiglang

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:51 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Where?

I found this one up in Craiglang ::):

I wan't one for the garden to keep ...erm' gardening stuff in! :D

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed May 24, 2006 8:52 pm

Alex Glass wrote:It would be Land Services who are responsible for street furniture. The problem would be getting one out in one piece.

I will see if the have any plans to remove any in the near future.

Could the City not give them a lick of paint.
They still look great.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Wed May 24, 2006 8:55 pm

I think they paint the ones in the West End so don't see why they can't do the same in other area.

What a picture Pgcc93 :D
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat May 27, 2006 12:36 pm

Ally Doll wrote:Image

Snapped this at the traffic lights this morning - what is it? For why? And, more importantly, how long til some neds pinch it and roll it home?

That... erm, are we calling it a fountain?.. hasn't worked since it was installed - it leaks! It's great that GCC are so keen on street furniture, but this one is an odd little shoddy mix of materials - and its ooooglie. Looks as thought the wrapper has been left on the ball too.

The rock it rests on, however, is rather nice; as rocks go anyway. Would have been nice on its own or with a statue on it. In fact, the "Spirit of Kentigern" (remember the whale tail from Buchannan St?) would have looked quite good there. Anyone know how the fates are treating it these days?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:43 pm

Old Junction control box near Bridge Street. Made long before micro processors took over. Today this lot can fit on a pin head or smaller ::):

Key control point for manual operation. Off, Auto, Auto Amber (underlined and T3 30V whatever that is??), Amber, Manual, All Red

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:00 pm

can I point out that the images above were first clocked by me and that K'hants takin the credit ::):

-Possil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:10 pm

Good to see competition is still healthy around here ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:07 pm

How old is that thing?

I see it says London WC2 on it so presumably it predates the postcode system at least [i.e. before around 1970].
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:37 pm

Somebody broke the board!!

I those last few posts covering over the last picture, as if it was a background image. Anyone else?

EDIT: Ignore me. I refreshed several times to make sure it really was broke, but it isn't any more. I must have fixed it. :D
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ElectricSprout » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:14 am

viceroy wrote:How old is that thing?

I see it says London WC2 on it so presumably it predates the postcode system at least [i.e. before around 1970].

WC2 is the first half of the postcode for the area east of Trafalgar Square. Different parts of London are identified by the first half of their postcodes, e.g. if you're looking at property you have to learn all the postcodes coz the first thing you get asked is whether you want to live in N1, SW19, EC1, etc. So I don't think that offers any clues as to when it was made.
ElectricSprout
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:31 am

viceroy wrote:How old is that thing?

Automatic Telephone & Electric (AT&E) traded under that name between 1936-1961. Previously it had been ATM, then, as part of a merger, it was to be become part of the Plessey Telecommunications Group.
The fact that the box still has the then familiar 'ATM' logo would suggest that it was made in the 1930s.
dazza
-
-

Postby motman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:50 pm

crusty_bint wrote:That... erm, are we calling it a fountain?.. hasn't worked since it was installed - it leaks! It's great that GCC are so keen on street furniture, but this one is an odd little shoddy mix of materials - and its ooooglie. Looks as thought the wrapper has been left on the ball too.

The rock it rests on, however, is rather nice; as rocks go anyway. Would have been nice on its own or with a statue on it. In fact, the "Spirit of Kentigern" (remember the whale tail from Buchannan St?) would have looked quite good there. Anyone know how the fates are treating it these days?

Aha, but it did work when I saw it last in mid February or thereabouts. It impresses me, a serious bit of engineering applied to a simple fountain.

But it did indeed leak from day 1 in November/December, probably because the builders didn't think about the water pressure underneath the globe. Also I don't think the neds would get anywhere, there's nothing to grab hold off.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi motman

That funny bird thing is in storage. I tried to get it a couple of years ago for Pollok but I understand another councillor had his mits on it but don't think it was put any where.

By the way did you get my pm about access to Elder Street School? It doesn't close till 2008 and access can be arranged when you are next in Glasgow.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:02 am

Glasgow Corporation Lighting Dept box
Great Western Rd, Old Drumchapel

Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects