Glasgow Murder Mysteries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby viceroy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:18 pm

I saw a number of pictures, such as of the area and one or two of Andrea herself as well as one of Robert Tervet, but they weren't of very high quality [also they were black and white, no colour pics in newspapers in those days]. I should of course mention that I was using a microfilm viewer - the original newspapers are not accessible.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:58 am

Hmmm. I think the Daily Record had colour on the front (could be wrong of course). I remember being stopped by the paperboy who asked if that was me on the front of the paper. We had made a little paper bouquet that we had laid on her desk and we were all staring at it.
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ironjoe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:07 pm

hi Guys
Newbie here, i just wanted to ask viceroy did you manage to find any info from the daily record? I also have an interest and have been looking back on the case but i cant seem to find anything with regards to the record.
I also thought Andrea was missing longer than 4 days, but it seems not, strangely enough, i also remember thinking that there was a relation connection, so maybe that was hearsay at the time. I grew up with tervert, and unlike his da James says that he was a good boy, well thats crap, after the murder he went south to his brother James, they are quoted as saying that they thought perhaps he had stabbed someone and that was why he was down at them, why think that of a "good boy". Another memory that i thought was that he went back to Ashley st , removed the body,after the search, returned the body, that too appears incorrect, funny how time plays such tricks.
After tervet was sentenced, he was sent to hmp terreagles st dumfries, where he was in solitery confinement for 3 years, until he became a "con" which meant he was shipped out to an adult prison somewhere (prob peterhead).He was rightly known as tervet the pervert. I recall that i heard sometime back that he had been released although i`m trying to confirm this at the moment.
he was sentenced to life with a 15 year rec, 10 years to run concurrent and a year for theft, so he could well be out.
I think its really sad that most people i talk to dont remember Andrea, she seems forgotten by most that did not know her personaly.
What pamd said regarding the first search, Andrea was hidding under a hardboard figure of a dragon, which appeared so low to the ground that it was assumed (we now know wrongly) she was not under it.
I still researching the case , if anyone has or gets futher info i would be grateful for a look, also looking for fotos of the time.
cheers cracking forum , Joe
ironjoe
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby pamd » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:25 am

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum

Not much more to add really - just good that someone is still remembering Andrea.

Did you know Andrea at all, or is your interest from the perspective of knowing Tervet?

I too would love to see any pics from the time.
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi Joe and welcome

I only searched through back numbers of the Glasgow Herald and Evening Times for info to put together my post about the murder of Andrea Hedger. But I would be most surprised if it wasn't extensively covered in the Daily Record as well. I'm not sure whether the Mitchell keeps old copies of the Record on microfilm but I imagine they would do. As for photos relating to the case maybe it's possible for the Mitchell to supply photocopies from the original newspapers but they wouldn't be of very high quality. Perhaps the Evening Times archive people could help if you were to contact them.

It's interesting that, like myself, you thought that Robert Tervet and Andrea Hedger were related in some way. There must have been some sort of rumour along these lines going about in the area at the time because I definitely didn't come across this when I was going through the newspapers.

It would also be interesting to know what became of Robert Tervet assuming he was eventually released, which does seem likely. Keeping a very low profile I imagine and unlikely to be anywhere near Glasgow. Although of course after so many years hardly anybody would know who he was or what he had done. He must be nearly 50 by now.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ironjoe » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:50 am

no pamd i did not know Andrea, although i stayed at 23 baliol st for 2 years (74-76) so i suppose i must have seen her a some point. I live in Royston and we had a young boy murdered here about a year and a half ago, we set up a group to try and make changes to the law (childrens voice) but the boys mother was part of the group and some of the stuff getting discussed was hurting to her memories and there was other influences acting at the time that made it impossible to continue with the group. So the mother continued her campaign with the NOTW newspapaper, and i`ve been plodding along myself just researching anything i can find on this ever growing plauge. Anyway the murderer from here got life with 20 year rec, and at a meeting with Cathie Jamieson (justice minister) i suggested that she appeal the sentence and demand natural life, to which she replied that IT WAS SAFE TO ASSUME THE THE BEAST WOULD NEVER BE RELEASED , to which i replied with some details of tervet and how i believed he has been released. The beast from Royston was 28, he could be out before he is 50, a 7 times convicted sex offender, thats scarey.Well the mother and local mp is calling for Marks law after her son (Mark Cummins), i personally dont care what it is called as long as there are changes to the law, but by the same token it could be called Andrea`s law, but as i said previous, nobody i speak to remembers her. For some reason, whether its because i knew tervet or for some other reason, Andrea`s murder has always stayed with me and everytime i hear of a child being abused or murdered, i think of Andrea, i hope soon to do a web page (Remembering Andrea) in her memory.
In fact it was only by chance that i got futher with my research, i know some people who work at NOTW , and i asked if they could find out anything from the archives, i only remembered Andrea,tervet and that her murder was in charing cross sometime in the 70`s , the people i asked said they could find nothing.Then about 2 weeks ago a freind of about 15 years was passing and stopped to tell me about a benefit football match coming up for little Mark`s mother and brothers, i mentioned Andrea,and to my amazement he said "i remember that wee lassie, her name was Andrea Hedger it was 77 or 78 she was killed" so i typed her name in google and it brought me here.
And yes Viceroy, the Daily Record micro film is in the cabinet beside the times archives, but went through April to July and could not find a thing, this got me thinking is it possible the the times was dated wrong and that pamd was in fact correct thinking it was 1977.I know this is extremely unlikely, but i`m going back up the Mitchell next week and i`m gonna check the Record Archives from 1977.I will keep you guy`s up to date with anything i find out. I got all the times stuff (including A3 front pages) printed off, quite a good system up there for research and copying.
Joe
ironjoe
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby viceroy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:06 am

Hi Joe

It will be interesting to see whether you come up with anything from the Record archives. The story might have been covered more extensively in the ET and Herald since these are essentially Glasgow newspapers, even so it was a big case at the time and I'm sure that the Record would also have fully reported it. Funnily enough, when I went up to the Mitchell to check out the case I started searching through the Glasgow Herald archive for April-June 1977 because this was the year pamd had mentioned. But I couldn't find anything so I went to the index books and discovered Andrea was actually murdered in 1978. This did surprise me because 1977 was the year which I had always had in my mind also. What dates are shown on the Evening Times pages you got printed off? I can't imagine these would be anything other than correct.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:30 am

Pripyat wrote:Was always warned about Garnethill as a kid, but never
told what was wrong with the area, that was even in
the 70's. Very sad incident :(

People forget that round that area was, by and large, red light.
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:44 am

Just a thought, it may be worth contacting Alistair Dinsmor of the Glasgow Police Museum. I think he's still a member of HG.
He was a Strathclyde police officer at that time, and may have some insight.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:22 pm

I don't recall this story but thought about what papers were in curculation at that time. Was the Citizen still printer or was this when the short lived Daily News was available. It may be that more was printed in one of them.

Also the trial transcript will be held in the Register House in Edinburgh. Don't know what the access would be for a case under 30 years old but may be worth considering.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ironjoe » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:11 pm

if you go to my home page i`ve uploaded some stuff from the mitchell, i`ll keep it there for a week. Some of the a3 stuff (front pages) has to be done with 2 scans, but you can download the images and mess about enlarging and darkening . type this in with google
http://www.spire-security.co.uk
Joe
ironjoe
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ironjoe » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:14 am

i think the song on there was no1 of the day ?
ironjoe
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby pamd » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:20 pm

WOW - thanks Joe.

I've just gone through the images and stories. The picture with the children sitting at the desk - thats me 2 to the right of her empty desk. I've just shown it to my children. I remember the day that the police virtually took over our school. We were all interviewed and asked if we were aware of anyone acting suspiciously.

I had a friend who lived in Balliol St at the same time as yourself - I'm struggling to remember her name, but I think it was Ismet Raza? She had loads of brothers - all big lads too.

Interesting stuff - thank you.
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Glasgow Murder Mysteries

Postby JBC » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:20 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, it was in November 1993 that the body of a man called Anthony Innes was discovered in his flat in a Dalmarnock tower block. I believe he had been beaten to death, but a weapon (a knife?) might also have been used. I really can't remember.

All that was said about Mr Innes in the Evening Times - where I read about this - was that he was a single man and a male nurse. No motive for his murder was suggested, nor was there any suggestion that the police had a suspect in mind. I never saw anything else about it in the press.

Did anyone read or hear anything more about this case than I did, e.g. why was Mr Innes murdered? And was anyone ever arrested for it?

(Just a newcomer to this forum, I made an error when posting and started a new thread instead of adding to this one. So there are now two "Glasgow Murder Mystery" threads. Sorry about that. I tried to delete my other posting but didn't manage to get it deleted.)
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:35 am

Was doing a wee bit of research on the St Vincent Crescent / Argyle Street Area and came across this :

From the Glasgow Herald - August 1938:

MURDER CHARGE
---------------------------------------------
Sequel to Glasgow Girl’s Death
--------------------------------------------

A young man, Donald McDonald, appeared at the Marine Police Court, Glasgow, yesterday on a charge of murder. On the motion of the Acting Fiscal, Lieutenant Fraser, he was remanded in custody until August 31 for further enquiry.

McDonald was charged with having on August 27, 1938, in a basement at 69 St Vincent Crescent Glasgow, assaulted a girl aged 14 years by stabbing her several times on the body with a sharp instrument, whereby she was so severally injured that she died in the Western Infirmary, Glasgow on August 28, and “did thus murder her.” The Courtroom was crowded when McDonald made his brief appearance.

The alleged attack on the girl was made as she was returning to her home in St Vincent Crescent. She had been collecting some accounts for the firm of provision merchants by whom she was employed. The girl left school at the summer holidays, and this was her first job.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects