Tesco Pollok Silverburn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:13 pm

I think you miss the point that Scotland's industrial power was overwhelmingly created, led and shaped by heavy industry.

I think you miss the point that I specifically mentioned heavy industry the once and in context of Empire and war.

I think you miss the point that Scotland's economy throughout the late 19th century and first three quarters of the 20th century, was overwhelmingly dependent on this one sector.

Wow, I must have rattled your cage a bit! ::): At any rate, which time period do you imagine I am talking about? I never once mentioned the 19th century, which you clearly picture when imagining industry. Its no wonder you take such a negative view! Scotland was certainly a bit dependent on industry, but there was a mix. Now we have the retail sector and very little else...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:42 pm

Rattled my cage that waht you conclude when someone gives you a reasoned response? No you didn't rattle anything but that does seems to be the thing that's important to you, and that you try to do awfully hard with people - rather than answer the factual corrections to you poorly informed obervations.

I suggest re-read your last post and some of your preceeding ones in this thread and you might see that you're going round in circles... maybe you're trying to rattle you own cage? :)

Anyway, please be assured I don't intend to respond further and worry you with any facts ... all this cage rattling is sore on the ears; and as commented already on this thread, one-to-one petty exchanges just bore everyone else.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:47 pm

I dont set out to rattle cages, but I certainly did yours. You gave a childish response and so I was forced to give an answer. Its always interesting when the childish personal attacks begin to start, the usual 'Im right and you're wrong' garbage. It always shows that the other is poorly informed himself, and has no other response available! I fail to see how your response is reasoned, perhaps to you it is so go on living in your dreams! Feel free not to answer you big headed fool... ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Hoi, stop it you two!!! You can both post good arguments so please focus on that and not the handbags!!!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby escotregen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:53 pm

It wisnae me! a big boay made me dae it an then he run away! :cry: If you hit me ahm tellin ma maw.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:25 pm

Vladimir wrote:Scotland was certainly a bit dependent on industry, but there was a mix. Now we have the retail sector and very little else...

Problem is of course that a fair few of the "Light" Industries buggered off to pastures new when the subsidies ran out.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Problem is of course that a fair few of the "Light" Industries buggered off to pastures new when the subsidies ran out.

Yeah, I buggered off with them! ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:49 pm

Thank you to everyone for a lively debate.

I hear that takeings for the first day at Tesco Extra at Silverburn, Pollok topped the £200,000 mark. Having visited the store twice on Monday I was interested to see so many people from all over make a visit to this new store. There were a lot of Pollok people there to. I understand they were walking three deep along Barrhead Road at one point.

I also hear that it hasn't got any quieter in the past three days although that may not be the case through the night.

We may not all be happy with these types of developments but the people seam to flock to them in large numbers. As for the impact on other shopping areas or the local shop only time will tell if this will have a lasting effect.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:54 pm

Its the usual first day nosey thing, was the same with my company at Auchinlea, and all the conversion stores.

Altho i hope the people in the pollok area are nicer than my customers, who need a lesson in civility, altho after 18yrs in retail i usually find snobby areas treat people a lot worse than poorer areas.

Ive had this experience from working in areas like Thornliebank, Erskine, Clarkston and Bishopbriggs. Wonder what 2 of these are the worser areas to work in :?:

Freedom From Fear
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Retail shmeetail

Postby peter » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:24 pm

Whoa there folks!!. I have followed this thread . I would like to add my twopence worth. I actually work in retail. There I've gone and admitted it. I'm no whizz kid proffesional, just an ordinary guy who needs to work. I served my time at a good trade and spent thirty years in industry and was bloody good at what I did.
However all that work has gone. So whats is left for many of my age group are jobs in Supermarkets.
Now having seen this from the inside I have to say that your are all correct. The jobs can be crap, the pay low. dealing daily with baw bags of all ilk.
Yet the whole logistics is awesome. There are many bright and talented people working in them. You all need them You all use them You all love them. Where do most go on a Bank holiday??? you got it the Supermarket.
Behind the scenes we work damned hard. It takes a lot to work with Joe Public.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Retail shmeetail

Postby tobester » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:14 pm

peter wrote:Behind the scenes we work damned hard. It takes a lot to work with Joe Public.

Best quote of the day 110% behind that.

People only want to complain, they dont see what we have to do to get the places up and running and the cr@p we take day in day out.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:16 pm

Alex Glass wrote:We may not all be happy with these types of developments but the people seam to flock to them in large numbers.

At first, yes, and from areas other than those the complex is set in, yes. I'd be
interested in knowing how many locals are amongst the early doors visitors.

Alex Glass wrote:As for the impact on other shopping areas or the local shop only time will tell if this will have a lasting effect.

Laughable. And quite despicable coming from a council worker/officer/whatever,
if you dont mind my saying so. "Sod the local corner shop - they can eat
cake. We've encouraged this faceless corporate monstrosity to "invest" in
your local area, so any wee two-bit shops nearby can go fuck themselves..."

Delusional doesn't even scratch the surface...

Dear, oh dear. Image

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Retail shmeetail

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:28 pm

peter wrote:Whoa there folks!!. I have followed this thread . I would like to add my twopence worth. I actually work in retail. There I've gone and admitted it.

Whoa there Peter!! Beat you to it! Perhaps you need to follow it more closley? :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Err... I think what is delusional is to think that local people would want to put up with 'wee two-bit' local corner shops when they can have a huge supermarket. I can remember when we had see plenty of these two bit shops, they were often macky, overpriced and spoorly stocked. Take a walk around some of the poor areas with nothing but these hops and she can see that this is still true.

Ask the people in these areas do they want a supermarket or do they want a two-bit shop and you would be told in no uncertain terms. I somehow also don't think they would be at all bothered that folks from Newton Mearns or Giffnock shopped in their areas

From what I've seen elswhere, the local people are very much the first doors people at supermarkets - certainly true at the giant Toryglen and Govan ASDAs.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:54 pm

escotregen wrote:Err... I think what is delusional is to think that local people would want to put up with 'wee two-bit' local corner shops when they can have a huge supermarket.

How does a big faceless corporate supermarket "help" the local economy by
helping close down local shops?

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development