JayKay wrote:Wind powered building design revealed

There's nothing new in this world...

LMAO
were all sorted :)
[Paul Ferrie]
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby KonstantinL » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:48 pm

Doesn't Scotland already produce much more electricity than it needs and in fact 'sells' electricity to other parts of the UK?

I used to work at the council and while I've completely forgotten all the details I was told by someone who knows much more about it than me that the whole Wind Turbine things is a complete scam and that developers are making massive amounts of money at the tax payers expense.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:42 am

I've always been under the impression that the argument for wind power in the form of wind farms is more political than practical.

How many turbines would it take to power Glasgow for example?

I would be all for seeing solar panels or mini turbines on every house - to me that seems like a more practical solution.

To argue for wind farms on the grounds they are not nuclear is pretty much how it is presented. Ok, a wind farm cant ever explode. But can it ever provide what we need power wise?

So, I'd predict lots more turbines to appear over the next few years, and that will contribute comparitivly little energywise, we will all feel smug because it feels like we are making a real effort to find clean power, but really it's mostly about good PR and vote winning.

Of course the more wind power is used, the better it would get....

[/ends cynical ramblings]
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ibtg » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:30 am

I wonder if huge rafts could be built and wave generated power equipment built in underneath, with wind turbines placed on top. Then tow them out to sea, anchor them securely and feed the power back to land. Is this feasible, I wonder, or would it be a threat to wildlife or navigation?
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:42 am

Tidal power is the best, using a dam across a bay, and no polution (except possibly for some changed local marine life patterns).
It never runs out, and the Moon isn't going to drift off for a while yet.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:21 pm

JayKay wrote:If there was a genuine political will for this to happen it could. You can get grants towards the cost of installation, but you'll still have to put your hand in your pocket for a couple of grand. It should be possible for them to be effectively free to the consumer - with the government/executive/council 100% subsidising the cost between them.

The scottish exec did have grants for this but they quickly got swallowed up - they extended it by £4million I think, but it won't last long. From what I remember microgeneration windmills need to have good uninterrupted wind. Solar panels need at least 1/2 day light as well.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:39 pm

We are sitting on about 400 years worth of coal. Polluting perhaps, but they can clean up emissions to a huge degree these days...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:47 pm

Better get ready for the next oil boom all you Greenies. I worked for a company a few years ago that built monitering systems. Anyway i keep in contact with some of the guys there and there info is. And keep this to yourselfs. The continental shelf of the west coast is getting more viable by the day for exploration. Remember keep it quiet. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:24 pm

The continental shelf of the west coast is getting more viable by the day for exploration. Remember keep it quiet.

But who will control it, Scotland (Britain) or Ireland, is it to the north-west or directly to the west?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:43 pm

Vladimir wrote:
The continental shelf of the west coast is getting more viable by the day for exploration. Remember keep it quiet.

But who will control it, Scotland (Britain) or Ireland, is it to the north-west or directly to the west?

Duh the Americans 8O . North West. Thats why GB has held on to Rockall for no apparent reason. The Falklands are probably in the pipe line too. Were all doomed :?
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordonjcp » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:30 am

My Kitten wrote:I actually like wind farms, i think they look nice. Id rather live under one of them than next to a nuclear power station.

I have only one thing to say about that...

FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB.... FWUB....

... you get the idea. They're not even that environmentally friendly.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gordonjcp » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:34 am

Toby Dammit wrote:And kills thousands of them if something goes wrong, as the citizens of the Glorious Soviet Republic living in Chernobyl discovered. And are still discovering to this day.

Would you have bought a diesel car 25 years ago? Would you even consider buying anything else now?

Nuclear reactors have developed a lot since the few running nuclear power stations in this country were built. Let's not forget that apart from Torness most of our nuclear power stations use 1950s-era technology. That's like comparing dirty, polluting engines in buses and trains with modern common-rail diesels.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kpstar » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:22 pm

gordonjcp wrote:
Nuclear reactors have developed a lot since the few running nuclear power stations in this country were built. Let's not forget that apart from Torness most of our nuclear power stations use 1950s-era technology. That's like comparing dirty, polluting engines in buses and trains with modern common-rail diesels.

As far as I am aware wind turbines have a life expectancy of 30 odd years and can be removed. Nuclear power stations will still be costing money to look after hundreds of years after they have stopped providing power and the cost of the electricity doesn't include the decommissioning cost. Uranium is also a finite resource. I would take wind/wave any day.
kpstar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:11 pm

gordonjcp wrote:Would you have bought a diesel car 25 years ago? Would you even consider buying anything else now?

Never bought a car. Nor will I ever. Pointless where I live.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)