Glasgow department stores

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby AlanM » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:12 am

TommyDGNR8 wrote:
Can anyone remember a shop across Argyll Street (possibly part of the same block as Boots) which had an old gated lift, complete with uniformed attendant, right into the 80s? Or is my memory playing tricks?

The Argyle Market had a gated, attended lift longer than anywhere else I can remember.

I remember them in Arnott's and Fraser's as well although they were upgraded and made self service.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby swavmcav » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:48 am

What was the name of the department store down on the Clyde at the end of Jamica Street?

I was only a nipper but I can remember they had the most fantastic system of tubes for sending cash round the shop by compressed air. I think I remember the whoosh it made.
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pripyat » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 am

swavmcav wrote:What was the name of the department store down on the Clyde at the end of Jamica Street?

I was only a nipper but I can remember they had the most fantastic system of tubes for sending cash round the shop by compressed air. I think I remember the whoosh it made.

Arnotts was on Jamaica St. Perhaps it was the one.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cazzie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 am

Was that not RW Forsyths?

There was a lady's dress shop - Paige maybe? - on Buchanan st which used that system. It's now a branch of Nationwide and they still use it...
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:52 am

Wasn't that Paisley's? I think it was one of the Fraser of Allander group.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:54 am

Forsyths was across from Central Station on Gordon Street corner, I think.

The store I remember using that system until fairly recently was Watt Bros.

I think they also used it in Pettigrews.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cazzie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:59 am

Think you're right IBTG...

I left Lewis's before the refurb but it was a bit shaky then (early 80s). They'd just opened a couple of new stores which hadn't worked out. there was tremendous cost saving going on and a lot of redundancies. It was really a sad time as many of the (mostly female and many single) workforce were 50s and 60s and hadn't worked anywhere else and it was like a home to them. Debenham's were probably a saviour but it's now just another faceless dept store.

Lewis's also had the gated lift - as well as three modern ones. The attendant wasn't in uniform though. You could be thinking of Stirling Glen's which was on Argyle St/Miller St?
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:59 am

swavmcav wrote:I was only a nipper but I can remember they had the most fantastic system of tubes for sending cash round the shop by compressed air. I think I remember the whoosh it made.

You are talking about a "Lamson" system, the company still makes them! http://www.lamson.com.au/container_frmset.html

We had themin the steelworks for sending documents from the accounts office to the mill offices.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:32 pm

ibtg wrote:Wasn't that Paisley's? I think it was one of the Fraser of Allander group.

Yes I think it was Paisley's, it was also Sir Hugh's for a while as well.
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:55 pm

Paisleys......

Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Cazzie wrote:Think you're right IBTG...

I left Lewis's before the refurb but it was a bit shaky then (early 80s). They'd just opened a couple of new stores which hadn't worked out. there was tremendous cost saving going on and a lot of redundancies. It was really a sad time as many of the (mostly female and many single) workforce were 50s and 60s and hadn't worked anywhere else and it was like a home to them. Debenham's were probably a saviour but it's now just another faceless dept store.

Lewis's also had the gated lift - as well as three modern ones. The attendant wasn't in uniform though. You could be thinking of Stirling Glen's which was on Argyle St/Miller St?

I beleive Lewis's was part of the American SEARS group and when they had money troubles they sold all their overseas department stores....thus....Lewis's became Debenhams.
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:04 pm

swavmcav wrote:I was only a nipper but I can remember they had the most fantastic system of tubes for sending cash round the shop by compressed air.

The Co-op in Clydebank used to have that too. The interior of this shop - the "big store" we called it as children - is still pretty much unchanged since the 1960's (or even earlier). Worth a peek for this reason alone, with its Deco tinges. It still has the same wooden staircase we used to climb every year to see Santa.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby swavmcav » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:19 am

Paisley's - how could I forget?

School uniforms for evey school on the planet and I think, strange as it sounds now, Glasgow University uniforms....black and yellow blasers, ties and scarfs. My mum has one.

Students dressed smart in those days.....
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gallowgategal » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:54 pm

tobester wrote:My aunt worked in Goldbergs, used to remember going to meether on a saturday.

Used to love the christmas displays they done at their side entrance, all i remember of it internally was all the lifts being together with the stairs.

Wish i could go back in time and see all the 70s and 80s stuff again.

I practically spent my childhood in Goldbergs, my mother would leave me by the fishpond while she went shopping. She would only collect me to take me to the "G Club" for free tea, coffee and biscuits given to special customers. When I was a bit older, a teenager, I delighted in signing in my friends in this club and being recognised and treated like a "grown up".
In 1977/78 I even took on a Saturday job there first working on the ground floor selling gloves and scarves, then the children's department selling shoes.
I too would love to go back in time and capture some of the Goldberg magic :D
have I missed anything ???
gallowgategal
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Never know gallowgategal you might have worked with her

::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext