Glasgow Statues

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby viceroy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi Alex

Not quite sure why you would get funny looks from Govanites while you were using your camera. Perhaps they thought you were trying to capture their souls.

Here is a quote from the Govan Heritage Trail booklet on the 'Black Man' statue:

"Directly across the street from the Pearce Institute is the statue of Sir William Pearce. The statue is known locally as the 'Black Man' (due to the bronze being discoloured and tarnished by the elements). Designed by Onslow Ford and erected in 1894 the statue is a tribute to a man who, along with the Elders and Napiers, did much to make the Clyde the greatest shipbuilding river the world has ever known. Born in 1833 in Kent, William Pearce trained in the Royal Dockyards in Chatham as a shipbuilder. In 1863 he came to the Clyde and became the general manager at Robert Napier and Son. He joined the firm of John Elder and Co (later Fairfields) in 1869 and nine years later became the sole proprietor. He realised the need for fast passenger transport between Europe and North America and under his supervision at Fairfield were built some of the fastest and most technologically advanced ships of the era. In 1885 he became Govan's first Member or Parliament."

Elder Park Library has a semi-permanent exhibition on the history of Govan which includes a photograph of the unveiling ceremony.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi viceroy

This is great information on William Pearce and the history of the statue. I will need to make a point of going into the Library and take a look at the exhibition.

Do you know of any other statues in the City but not in George Square. I have pictures of most of those in the Square. Need to wait until the tent is away before I can finish there. Just need to get Queen Victoria and Sir Walter Scott.

I know there are a few in Kelvingrove Park and hope to get there soon to see what I can get.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:21 pm

For the 'Celtic-minded' among us, if you get yourself round to Queen St you can get a photo of Wellington wearing a Celtic scarf in addition to his usual traffic cone.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Do you know of any other statues in the City but not in George Square.

Every single one is listed in "Public Sculpture of Glasgow" by Ray McKenzie, published by The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association. There's a copy in the Mitchell.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:17 pm

Thanks Ronnie

I will get a loan of this book and see what others I can photograph for posting here.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:35 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:Do you know of any other statues in the City but not in George Square.

Every single one is listed in "Public Sculpture of Glasgow" by Ray McKenzie, published by The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association. There's a copy in the Mitchell.

I pointed folks in the direction of this book on pg 4 of this very thread. It's a belter.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:52 am

Presented by John S Kennedy and in Kelvingrove Park.

The Memorial to Firemen outside Central Station.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mercury

Postby escapologist » Tue May 30, 2006 2:21 pm

Statue of Mercury from the Merchant City's Italian Quarter.

escapologist
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Mercury

Postby HollowHorn » Tue May 30, 2006 2:51 pm

escapologist wrote:Statue of Mercury from the Merchant City's Italian Quarter.

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Mercury

Postby Ronnie » Tue May 30, 2006 10:09 pm

escapologist wrote:Statue of Mercury from the Merchant City's Italian Quarter.

NO! NO!! NO!!! This is a statue, as the photograph itself makes clear, of Mercurius. Mercury is a different statue in the same group by Alexander Stoddart.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue May 30, 2006 10:41 pm

Let's see you get out of that one, Escapologist :wink:

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects