Ruchazie, old and new

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fat Cat » Tue May 30, 2006 3:04 pm

Standby social workers? Secret litter police?

Those were the days. ::):
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 30, 2006 4:09 pm

So why was PPP restricted. Im against the whole idea but Im not sure why they would pick and choose what the privatisation was going on...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue May 30, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi Vladimir

The Secondary School Project was funded by the Scottish Executive through PPP. As Glasgow had an urgent problem with is Primary School attempts were made to achieve a funding package that would address the problems in all Glasgow's Primary Schools. The Scottish Executive did not feel taht it could achieve the same standard throughout Scotland so Glasgow decided to address the problem through a Pre 12 Strategy.

We are now in the 4th phase of the strategy that is funded through the Council's public sector borrowing and the sale of surplus land as the strategy develops. This means that where two or three schools are relocated to a new build Pre 12 School campus together with nursery or childcare provision the land where the old school was located will be sold and the money reinvested in future new build schools within the strategy.

The new school for children currently attending Ruchazie is being built just up the road.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramondo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:04 am

How does one post a photo on to this section? Im new to this but would like to add
thanks

ray
ramondo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:29 pm

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow Ray

Use this link to the topic on Hidden Glasgow were you will find other links to file host sites.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1832

Once you have got an account and uploaded photos copy and past the url using the img box above your message.

Look forward to seeing your images on HG.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Old Governor's House

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:54 pm

Previous discussion here took place regarding the old governeor's house near Barlinnie Prison.

This is the oldest house located near the prison next to the site of the Gartcraig Bus Garage.

Ruchazie Parish Church has changed over the years. A hall was built joining the old church.

A new front entrance has been added to the church.

The hall was attached to the left side of the building has now been demolished to leave the church standing on it's own.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:38 pm

A couple of photos I thought I had posted before.

Before and After the M8

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Ruchazie, old and new

Postby Tamo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:12 pm

What a pity this thread fizzled out in 2006. I went to Ruchazie in 1953 at the age of 5 and stayed there until the late 1950s, when we moved to Cranhill. Ruchazie Primary wasn't yet built when we moved into the scheme - neither was the church, which was more or less next door to our house at 47 Milncroft Road. My youngest sister and myself had to travel to Riddrie Primary in the meantime, passing the prisoners from Barlinnie working in the fields on the way.

What later became Gartcraig Garage was still a farm in the early 1950's and we sometimes used to go there for our milk, via the old wooden bridge passing over the Monkland canal. On the opposite side of the road from the farm was the "haunted hoose" - I was never very well acquainted with it because I was always too feart tae go very near it. :D

In the other direction from our house in Milncroft Road, going towardsd Cranhill and the Sugarolly Mountains, there was a paddock where horses used to graze and daffodils were on sale.
Tamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 pm

interested in the haunted hoose! where was it?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weskyman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Fat Cat wrote:interested in the haunted hoose! where was it?

Hello Mr Rat,

I think your 'haunted house' might be the ruins of Craigend House in the woods just off Croftcroighn Road. I posted this in the old M8 thread. I have since found a bit more information

quote="weskyman"]Just across the road from me are the woods at Croftcroighn Road. When the trees are bare at winter an odd looking derelict brick structure is visible from the road. One day I took a wander over and had a wee look and found a few other similar structures. Months later I happened to mention this to a local taxi driver who grew up in the area and he said it was part of a farm house belonging to a farmer he affectionately called "Wullie the Dung Man" who lived there before the motorway was built.

Anyway, I took a few photos. Would be interested to hear if anyone has any information to add. The photo with the chairs looks like it could just be a regular wall but there is a circular part to the structure at one side that suggests it was part of a building.

This is the first structure I noticed. Appears to be too small to be a house and doesn't look as if it's connected to a bigger structure, maybe the outside lavvy?

Image from opposite side

Some other old remains nearby...

Image[/quote]
"No-one knows what no-one said"
weskyman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby weskyman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Got this reply on the M8 thread from the helpful Browning. It looks like the remains of Craigend House -

Hi,
As a resident of Ruchazie from 1963 to 1973 I think I can shed some light on your queeries. The remains you found were of Craigend House: according to old maps. It wasn't a farm, it was a private "house" of some kind or a "club" venue and quite sizeable:perhaps 10 or 12 rooms over at least 3 or 4 levels. My friends and I could never fathom its purpose. I'm not sure now (nearly 50 yrs later) if rugby/playing fields lay to the south between the "house" and the canal.
Set in the woods as it was, it was very spooky on dark nights. We would occasionally snoop about it ...and on being caught were firmly told to go away. We imagined it (as circa 10 yr olds) to be haunted! It was highly atmospheric during the still occasional fogs of the sixties...and great fun.
There was a farm run by "Wullie" which actually lay around 200 yds east of the "house" and he did indeed sell eggs and would happily even wring a chickens' neck for customers to "takeaway". I met him a few times on the farm with friends who knew him. What a character...think duelling banjos! (seriously).
I hope this is of interest.
Best wishes,
Browning.

Found this via a Google search. Seems the building pre-dates 1933 when extension work was carried out on behalf of Trustees of the Whitehill School Playing Fields Fund.

Council documents related to the building of the Soccerworld football complex in 2008/9 confirm the area to the south of the woods (i.e. towards the canal/motorway) was the site of 3 football fields now overgrown with waist high grass

Note the grand plans for tennis courts in Croftcroighn Park !

weskyman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby weskyman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:29 pm

I noticed from the Google Earth 1945 image that the old wall to the back of the flats in Drumlochy Road used to extend as far east as Campston Place. So I went to have a look at it to see if I could find any old remains and managed to find a few.

Image of wall from 1945. Green represents roughly what is standing today and red what has been demolished

Image[/quote]

Present day wall from east side of the park:

Closer look:

Area with patchwork repairs in more modern times:

View of the ridge facing east:

Remains of demolished sections:

Where the wall veers north slightly:

Furthest east remnants of the wall. Any remains towards Campston Place from this spot appear to have been obliterated for building of housing:

Image[/quote]
weskyman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm

ok. talking of the park, was there a house in the park near the entrance at Caprington St/MIlncroft Road end? i was only wee at the time but am sure i remember something there near a swing park.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:42 am

The "haunted hoose" I spoke of wasn't anywhere near Croftcroighn Road. Heading down from Milncroft Road, via Bankend Street and into Gartcraig Road, it was just over the old wooden canal bridge, on the left hand side, roughly opposite the farm. It was set back a bit from the actual road. I don't know how old the house was, but it had a reputation, at least amongst the local weans, of being haunted. Ruchazie wis a lucky scheme, eh? Two haunted hooses. :D
Tamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Tamo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Just noticed on looking through the copy of the "Review" posted that both my sister and my late brother-in-law are mentioned in it. My sister was Secretary of the Craigend Housing Association (J. Hendry) and my brother-in-law, Eddie, was the councillor for Craigend/Garthamlock at that time.
Tamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects