Pollokshaws

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Sun May 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Happy to help crusty!
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Thu May 18, 2006 11:53 am

My Grannie was born in that wee toll-house. Can't remember the story as to how it came about though, I'll ask her next time I see her. There's 4 round about Glasgow (North, South, East and West). It was where they used to tax traders coming in to market.

The 'Shaws flats are due to go bang March '07. The very last one, at the library end, only has 10 occupied houses in it now. Must be spooky living there! The best view to see it will be the Hillpark shops. I think that's where the TV guys are going to be!

Peekay
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Trust Me

Postby jim » Thu May 18, 2006 8:01 pm

'On the pollokshaws front I would like to take a look at the old Polloc Toon site in front of Pollok House, I have read several snipits in various books and documents over the years, but have not been at the location for many years. Last time I was there I was about 12 and didn't know anything about anything. I was only interested in the river bank!'

There is nothing much to see, but its certainly worth grubbing around on the river bank (giant horses permitting) just below the weir. I've come across clay pipes and old bottles in the past.
I hear they were moved to make way for the landscaping in front of the house? But thats about it. I'd like to know more...
There is also a tumulus in a clump of trees in the middle of the golf course, with a stone commemorating an archaeological dig that took place some time in the 19th century (I think).
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby riot grrl » Sat May 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Long time, no post. We moved out to Pollok in the 60s, during the slum clearance era, so obviously didn't know who moved there in the 30s/40s. Old Pollok was built in the late 30s but we lived in what became 'North Pollok', the Linthaugh Road/Dormanside Road/Lyoncross Road part which was built in the post-war years, late 40s into early 50s.

Not one of the kids I used to play with, or was at school with, moved out from Pollokshaws. They were all Govan families, or from the Kinning Park and Ibrox areas.

My cousin used to live in one of the Pollokshaws towers on the 11th floor. I used to think it was brilliant, going on the balcony and looking all the way down to the ground. I really like that photo of the tower.
riot grrl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jim » Sat May 20, 2006 10:06 pm

I was on the 11 floor in 'Maida' on Shawholm Crescent. Which one did your cousin stay in?
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sun May 21, 2006 2:24 pm

After some serious investigative journalism (I asked ma Da!) he reckons the reason they wont blow up the 'Shaws flats is because of old mine tunnels underground (as mine tunnels normally are). It would make sense why they don't want X,000 tonnes of steel and concrete collapsing them in.

On a slighlty related front! Does anyone know the outcome of the "plan" to fill in the Giffnock mines? Last I heard was it was going to take trucks thundering past folks houses every 10 mins for 2 years.

Peekay
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 pm

The fire station, I presume this one at Wellgreen?

Image[/quote]

I remember being told by a workmate who has stayed in the Shaws all his life that this building was in fact a bank.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby job78989 » Mon May 22, 2006 12:54 pm

I have been unclear on this point too, I remember the building as a bank remember going in there in the early 70's, but had never thought of it as a fire station. My Kitten, I think posted a question about it some time back and I have now seen several pic of the fire station but although it is definatley the same building it seems further along the road than today strange!

John
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon May 29, 2006 9:43 am

job78989 wrote:I have been unclear on this point too, I remember the building as a bank remember going in there in the early 70's, but had never thought of it as a fire station. My Kitten, I think posted a question about it some time back and I have now seen several pic of the fire station but although it is definatley the same building it seems further along the road than today strange!

John

It is referred to as a bank in the Old Pollokshaws book. Bit unusual looking for a bank tho.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Pollokshaws

Postby My Kitten » Tue May 30, 2006 5:12 pm

job78989 wrote:
There is a briliant history book now only available for reference in pollokshaws library, cant remember the author just now but will find out and post later.

I believe that the pollokshaw history society is still active and are in the process of puting together some publication. The library will probably know, I will also try to find details for you.

Well I tried today with the library, rather unhelpful "what we have is in the scotland section", one book "old pollokshaws" :cry:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 am

The Swimming Baths were closed by the Council I think about 1999. A private firm took over the building and turned it into a health club.

I'm not sure if it is still open or if they retained the pool. Maybe one of the locals will be able to provide more information.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby drks » Wed May 31, 2006 3:07 pm

the private gym went bust i think, i go past it fairly regularly and it's always shuttered, althoughg i've seen men in suits going in and out.

i think they got rid of the pool too, sadly, although i never went in once they took over. ahh my youth spent there failing to learn to swim :(
drks
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ramor69 » Wed May 31, 2006 4:32 pm

Yep, it was called Key To Life, and it did go bust.
I believe that they floored over the pool, so it
may still be possible that it could be re-used again
some time in the future.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Peekay wrote:My Grannie was born in that wee toll-house. Can't remember the story as to how it came about though, I'll ask her next time I see her. There's 4 round about Glasgow (North, South, East and West). It was where they used to tax traders coming in to market.

The 'Shaws flats are due to go bang March '07. The very last one, at the library end, only has 10 occupied houses in it now. Must be spooky living there! The best view to see it will be the Hillpark shops. I think that's where the TV guys are going to be!

Peekay

Apparently the three are coming down at the same time? 12 Riverford Rd (the one you mentioned), 21 Riverbank Street and 124 Shawbridge Street. They're all maintained by the same people, the concierge at Riverford Rd.

I don't know about the rest - compared to these 3 they're all more or less fully occupied. The 3 are in a state of decline - when you're inside them there are more steel doors than wooden ones. And the flats inside have been gutted.

Does anyone know what they plan to build once the flats are away?
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:58 pm

ramor69 wrote:Yep, it was called Key To Life, and it did go bust.
I believe that they floored over the pool, so it
may still be possible that it could be re-used again
some time in the future.

I passed yesterday and one of the shutters were up, the other one is always down. It looked as open as it ever has been, which isn't very open looking ::):
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects