Alexandra Park bandstand

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Alexandra Park bandstand

Postby frank dawson » Mon May 08, 2006 2:13 pm

:cry:
During the 1939/1945 war I spent many a happy afternoon or evening as a young boy being entertained by a band or a concert party for free.
Sadly on a visit to Glasgow a few years ago I was very sad to see the bandstand was no longer there.
To make matters worse I found that the original street where I had lived for 15 years was replaced by new houses but the street name Crinan Street had not altered.
Why was a good red sandstone building torn down?
I presume it was so that people could have a bathroom which I agree with but I am sure there were other places which required more urgent modernisation.
Frank Dawson
Essex
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon May 08, 2006 2:58 pm

Hello Frank

I was talking with my mother about this bandstand the other day, as the one at Queens Park has also been demolished. We were both dismayed at their demolition. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be the demand for these facilities at local levels.

The houses that have replaced the sandstone buildings that you mention in Crinan Street were certainly at the time the march of progress, gardens, parking, bathrooms etc. Sannox Gardens has some lovely sandstone buildings, these ones must have been up to scratch regarding facitlites whereas Crinan Street where not.

At the time, I'm sure you'll agree, there were indeed other places that required modernisation and the way forward for Milnbank/Dennistoun was to build the development that we currently have.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Alexandra Park bandstand and Crinan Street

Postby frank dawson » Mon May 08, 2006 6:00 pm

:D
I did not know that the bandstand in Queens Park had also gone. Many are the times I enjoyed myself there.
One highlight was listening to Paul Robeson the famous singer.
Regarding Sannox Gardens I presume the building referred to was the block next to Staffa Street.
That tenement was most certainly in a better condition than Crinan Street.
Returning to the piece about the bandstand I and all my childhood pals went to see the bands and the concert parties at least once a week which I am certain kept us out of mischief and gave us an appreciation of music and a love of the theatre.
Those far of days of the 1940's were a time for simple pleasure and sadly todays children and adults want something different.
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 pm

The one is cambuslang park is presently being sorted, no final result yet, but its definatly happening, an awareness raisng project was just completed , and we found young poeple would love to see gigs there and some oter events.
A gig was attempted but health and safety said no. However funding is being progressed, with loads of positive feedback
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects