1930s University Lecture Theatre

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Fri May 07, 2004 9:50 am

nice rock!!
:)

Surely ther would still be scope for a small science mueum, of the scale of the anatomy museum...

hmmm...some photos from there would be good too!!! If only for the strong stomached!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nodrog » Fri May 07, 2004 9:56 am

Given it's design I'd say it was built for torque rather than actual rotational speed.

Any curtains / screens nearby ? Could be a light positioning winch also.

Aha! I think I might have an idea. There used to be a raised central glass roof portion over the centre of the lecture theatre, long since covered over (both outside on the roof and inside). There would have needed to have been an ability to cover that over to make the room dark for showing films or whatever, so maybe this was part of the mechansism for that?

Surely ther would still be scope for a small science mueum, of the scale of the anatomy museum...

I think most of the interesting things have long since been sent to the main Hunterian museum. This type of stuff is just the leftovers no-one wants.

hmmm...some photos from there would be good too!!! If only for the strong stomached!

I've been round it. It's quite a place, that's for sure...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Fri May 07, 2004 10:05 am

nodrog wrote:Finally, here's the world's largest lump of Red Kryptonite:

oh man, Superman is so going to get it if Lex Luthor ever gets his hands on that.

i always thought kryptonite was an imaginary substance.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri May 07, 2004 2:53 pm

Just for comparison, here's a photo of the main lecture theatre around 1958.
You can see the portholes to the projection room at the back, and the corner of the skylight I was talking about earlier.

Gosh students were very smartly dressed in those days!

Courtesy of University of Glasgow ImageBase

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri May 07, 2004 3:43 pm

I'm sure I used to go to psychology lectures in that lecture theatre. Must have been 86/87 and it was the biggest lecture theatre in the Uni, so it was used for Ordinary Psychology lectures as there were so many students wanting to do that course.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri May 07, 2004 11:44 pm

Great fotos nodrog!!!! Keep em comin :D

Now whats this about access to the old mineshafts... I thought they were bricked up during construction of Gilmorehill?

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby nodrog » Fri May 07, 2004 11:48 pm

JayKay wrote:I'm sure I used to go to psychology lectures in that lecture theatre. Must have been 86/87 and it was the biggest lecture theatre in the Uni, so it was used for Ordinary Psychology lectures as there were so many students wanting to do that course.

It was the biggest lecture theatre on campus, seating about 800 or so. The modern revamp seats about half that number...

Now whats this about access to the old mineshafts... I thought they were bricked up during construction of Gilmorehill?

Many of them were. Some were just partially bricked up to improve the strength. But the whole area is still riddled with them.
And there is quite definitely access to one shaft at least via the sub-basement of the chemistry building.... :)

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue May 11, 2004 8:40 pm

Here's another interesting wall-mounted clock, situated just outside the old main lecture theatre. Sadly it no longer works...

Gordon

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: 1930s University Lecture Theatre

Postby nodrog » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 pm

nodrog wrote:There is still one remaining original lecture theatre in the building now - it has been abandoned for about 10 years as the rake is so steep it contravenes health & safety requirements! I do plan to try to get access there at some point in the near future...

So, only 4 years later, I've finally been in for a look at the last original lecture theatre in chemistry. It dates from the early 1950s, when that part of the building was completed, so is newer than the one shown earlier in this thread, but was kitted out with similar seating.

It has been out of use since the early 1990s, as it's considered too steep to be safe these days, unfortunately. It also features a sink and mini-fume hood for doing reaction demonstrations during lectures, a rather nice clock, and quite a dramatic ceiling, the centre panels of which were once glazed to let light in.

Full gallery is here:
http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/chem_l ... index.html

The lecture theatre won't be there for much longer, sadly.

Nodrog

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Wow! Neat stuff. Nice pictures, and a strong contender for thread resurrection of the year. Maybe those old lecture theatres weren't entirely safe (though what is?), but I bet it was easier to hear what what was being lectured on. And that clock is lovely :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby dave2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Edinburgh Uni's old Anatomy Lecture theatre was like that, for dissections to be seen up close by all students. I had biology lectures there just before the Med School building was vacated and turned into the Social Sciences building - the rake was very very steep, but still in use up to 2005.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:56 am

Glasgow Uni had a chemistry lecturer who had a sideline in wine appreciation (and who eventually gave up chemistry for full-time wine criticism, I was told), and I'm fairly sure I was at a cheese and wine lecture in that theatre in the 80s.

Given that it averaged out at (at least) a couple of bottles per attendee, I'm suprised anyone made it out alive.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby samscafeamericain » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:29 am

nodrog wrote:Just for comparison, here's a photo of the main lecture theatre around 1958.
You can see the portholes to the projection room at the back, and the corner of the skylight I was talking about earlier.

Gosh students were very smartly dressed in those days!

Courtesy of University of Glasgow ImageBase

Gordon

Imagine turning up for your lecture in a suit and dicky bow...........it was a sad day when we let council house kids get in :twisted:
:wink:
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Re:

Postby Josef » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:54 am

samscafeamericain wrote:Imagine turning up for your lecture in a suit and dicky bow...........it was a sad day when we let council house kids get in :twisted:
:wink:

Away with you. Chemistry is a vocational degree: it's only council house kids that do it. The posh kids all do things like History or Philosophy, and daddy or a connection from private school gets them a job.

Note also, in the photo above, the sexual segregation; women down the front, due to their weak and delicate eyesight and hearing. Bit misrepresentative, mind you; in my day we had three women out of two hundred-odd taking Chemistry as a main degree. Probably all Biochem or Biology students.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:12 am

Sam of course is a council house kid with a self deprecating sense of irony which he owes to his one legged mother and her black lesbian partner. He also wears glasses.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)