INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby MadameZiggy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi there everyone,
just joined the site & I've got to say that I think it is great.
Looking forward to participating in some of the events & of course here,in the forum!

Cheers fae MadameZiggy xxx :wink:
MadameZiggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:34 pm

welcome to Hg MadameZiggy

Fossil :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby MadameZiggy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:07 pm

Thanks Fossil!

x
MadameZiggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

About me...

Postby pamd » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:43 pm

I was raised in the West end of Glasgow, near Byres Road and then moved to Woodlands Drive. Went to Willowbank Primary, which I note is facing some massive decisions at the moment. 2nd year of secondary school we moved to Westerton.

When I was 10 my friend went missing, Andrea Hedger. She was found murdered in an empty house in Ashley Street - I never quite got over it and my children are now suffering as a consequence (super protective mum)!

On a lighter note, I have some very lovely memories of Glasgow. My dad was brought up in Maryhill and we frequented the Woodside baths every weekend. Grandad lived in a room and kitchen in Hopehill Road (of course no longer there).

I remember the army barracks behind our house in Woodlands, which latterly was became the Royal School of Ballet. I was there the day the Queen Mum opened it, and of course, she smiled right at ME when she got out of the car!

I haven't lived in Glasgow since 1992 Ilive near Durham) and whenever I return something has changed (where did the granary on the clydeside expressway go?).

I took my boys to the Kelvingrove Park on a recent visit - of course, since I was last there (20 years ago!) it has shrunk! We saw squirrels instead of the rats that used to swim in the pond when I was a child! I pointed out where the elephant was buried that had died whilst visiting with a circus (or so the story goes!). All good stuff!

If anyone has any pictures/newspaper clippings from April 1977, when Andrea went missing, I would be interested in seeing them (our class was on the front cover of the Daily Record for many days).

Thanks!
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:36 pm

welcom to Hg pamd

I think thats the biggest intro yet 8)

Nice one

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:35 am

Welcome pamd :D
I think you'll enjoy your stay on the forum, there are dozens of 1970's Glasgow photos, posted in many different threads.

Finding them all.....that might take a while :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:01 am

welcome pamd,

Hidden Glasgow is a great site, take time to browse its hundreds of threads, you will find out alsorts of stuff you dina know.

Its not just the Grannary thats gone on the expressway almost everything has now!

Why not share a few stories with our community, I for one would like to hear the elephant in the park story?

Welcome

John
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pamd » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:44 am

Hi all and thank you for such a kind welcome (true Glesca!)

As far as the elephant in the park goes, I couldn't tell you much about it. In fact, it may well be an urban legend. However, my sister and I were always aware of the story from being wee. I'll try to describe where it is buried. On the Gibson St entrance continue up the hill. On your right you will be looking down over a grassy slope (at the bottom there are large boulders that we used to jump!). I think it was supposed to be buried down there somewhere!

Can anyone else support this tale? This of course is probably the completely wrong thread to post on.
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:46 am

pamd wrote:Hi all and thank you for such a kind welcome (true Glesca!)

As far as the elephant in the park goes, I couldn't tell you much about it. In fact, it may well be an urban legend. However, my sister and I were always aware of the story from being wee. I'll try to describe where it is buried. On the Gibson St entrance continue up the hill. On your right you will be looking down over a grassy slope (at the bottom there are large boulders that we used to jump!). I think it was supposed to be buried down there somewhere!

Can anyone else support this tale? This of course is probably the completely wrong thread to post on.

do a search for Roger the Elephant P.

Fossil
-
-

Re: About me...

Postby viceroy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:57 am

pamd wrote:If anyone has any pictures/newspaper clippings from April 1977, when Andrea went missing, I would be interested in seeing them (our class was on the front cover of the Daily Record for many days).

Welcome to HG pamd.

Your mention of the Andrea Hedger murder resurrected some unpleasant memories for me too as I was living in the area when it happened [Park Road in fact]. I believe she went missing for about a week, with a huge police search going on all over the neighbourhood until her body was eventually found beneath a pile of timber in the basement of a house in Ashley Street. The murder investigation was intense and all males over 16 living in the Woodside area were personally interviewed, myself included. What I remember most of all was the horrible atmosphere that hung like a sombre pall over the whole neighbourhood. It was assumed that the killer was local and so there was a lot of mutual suspicion.

As it turned out the murderer was a relative, I think his name was Robert Tervet, an uncle of the wee girl. He was only about 17 as far as I can remember.

Still get the shudders when I think about it and it was nearly 30 years ago.
Last edited by viceroy on Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi Viceroy

Yes, it was an awful experience, and I've had to endure hours of therapy as my children have grown, because of this. They didn't do 'counselling' then.

I didn't know that her murderer was a relative - thats really very interesting. I do remember being interviewed by the police, she was a personal friend of mine, and I sat right beside her in class. I also remember being woken late one night by a policeman searching my bedroom! Apparently, if they saw a light on at night, the house got searched - it was awful.

I'm not normally quite to morbid - and I do have quite a successfuly life - so the experience hasn't completely screwed me up!
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pamd » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:58 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:
do a search for Roger the Elephant P.

Hi

Nope, I don't think its the same one - found this posting from the GWE site, with kind permission copied here:

"I was told a very interesting story about the West End one day when a repair man came to fix my tumble drier! Whether you believe the story he told me or not is entirely up to you - either way it's a good wee story. During the early 1900's the annual Circus used to proudly parade the performing animals through the streets of the West End on their journey to the Kelvin Hall where the Circus was performed. During one of these parades along Great Western Road at Kelvinbridge, a large elephant collapsed and died. As there was no lifting machinery of any type available in those early years the circus organisers had to think of what to do with this mammoth animal!!! Part of a turret of the Kelvinbridge was pulled down, and the elephant was pushed over the edge to land next to an underground tunnel. The elephant was buried and still lies there to this day - covered by flowers and greenery listning to punters from the Big Blue talking loads of pub talk - rubbish!"

Got to be some truth in there somewhere!
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:26 pm

start a thread in coffee lounge 8)

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Cazzie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:56 am

Stumbled onto this site when I was looking for a diversion - what a find! Really looking forward to learning as much as I can. Living in Stirling now, but born in Castlemilk. Lived in Barmulloch, Muirend and Sandyhills before being sent out to the wilds of East Kilbride. Given the nickname "Overspill" as EK was known as the Glasgow overspill town... Father and Grandfather were both in the Glasgow polis so was brought up on stories of Glasgow's past.

Great site guys - love it!
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:45 am

Welcome Cazzie :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)