Rooftopping in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alycidon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Ooops, should be "ridden a bike ON the roof of Goldbergs". The story was that when I left school in 1975 I had about three months to kill before I started my apprenticeship with British Steel, so I made a few enquiries and was offered a Summer job with Goldbergs. As part of our work another chap and I spent a couple of weeks loading bikes up into the goods elevator and taking them to the toy department storeroom which was on the 6th floor. One the last run with only a few bikes left, we knew that the lift went to the roof, so it had to be done. It was (is?) a huge flat roof so it was quite safe.
I wonder how much of that building is still in existance, it was a massive place, with the sales floors only forming a small percentage of the buildings.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby clydebankcelt » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:35 am

Roofs i have been on are Central Station, Queen St station, A few railway depot roofs (all part of my job). The highest i have been was standing on the platforms (in fact the company i work for fitted them) at the top of the two Erskine Bridge Towers. The pictures i took are somewhere in this site.

In fact , this was one such photo.......
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:16 am

Good pic, CC!

Did they give you a parachute & water wings "just in case"? :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:26 pm

clydebankcelt wrote:Image

Still one of my favourite photographs on the site. Would only
be topped by some night time photograph, high up
on the bridge.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby clydebankcelt » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:36 pm

They wouldn't let us up at night which is a pity. Or in winds over 10mph. Was up once in quite strong winds and you could feel the whole thing move. Quite scary, Even though we were harnessed on.
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:25 pm

Rooftops? Goths stood back in startled amazement as the bouncers ran me down the stairs and out onto Sauchiehall St. I was only shouting abuse at Pop Will Eat Itself cos they were shite. And that's the only Rooftops I've been to.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:11 am

Schiehallion wrote:Rooftops? Goths stood back in startled amazement as the bouncers ran me down the stairs and out onto Sauchiehall St. I was only shouting abuse at Pop Will Eat Itself cos they were shite. And that's the only Rooftops I've been to.

Rooftops, that takes me back. That's were I nearly lost my
hearing. Japanese rock band with ear bleeding guitar treble.

Sorry to go off topic, but a rooftop location would be a good
place to stage an open air gig. Wonder who has the
largest roof area in a high rise.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stuc » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:14 pm

sounds fun!

I work at 95 bothwell street, will see if I can get atop there for some photos! :D
stuc
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JayKay » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:28 am

Japanese rock band with ear bleeding guitar treble

Which one?

I always kind of felt sorry for the folks who were just going to the chinese restaurant in the same doorway as Rooftops.

Friday night at Rooftops, Saturday the Tech...lucky I didnt die of cider and black poisoning in my younger years.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:12 am

JayKay wrote:Japanese rock band with ear bleeding guitar treble

Which one?

I always kind of felt sorry for the folks who were just going to the chinese restaurant in the same doorway as Rooftops.

Friday night at Rooftops, Saturday the Tech...lucky I didnt die of cider and black poisoning in my younger years.

Kyoji Yamamoto from Vow Wow, way too loud. Doing battle
with their singer for how much volume can Glasgow take.

Worst case of ear ringing ever, lasted more than 7 days and
that was in the front row. Christ knows, who's survived from
10 rows back 8O

P.S. I'm sure I saw Tom Russell at that gig
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Vow Wow at the Hard Rock cafe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:05 pm

Vow Wow played the Venue in Sauchiehall Street with half their back line and used their stage monitors as a front line PA as the stage could not take their concert PA. They then gave their usual stadium show to the 500 lucky punters crammed into the place. Tom Russell who was still DJ'ing there invited them back to Radio Clyde for an interview on his Rock Show.

Tom was surprised to see them troop into the studio with a Japanese girl in tow. After asking them a long question about being big stars in Japan, having played the Budakan on a regular basis and did they feel they were comprising their status by playing a small gig in Glasgow. He was even more surprised when the girl started speaking to the band in a foreign tongue before he twigged she was translating his question into Japanese. Taking twice as long as Tom took to pose his question the band's spokesperson replied in Japanese which the girl translated in total "We are so very pleased to be in your gracious country."

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:40 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Vow Wow played the Venue in Sauchiehall Street with half their back line and used their stage monitors as a front line PA as the stage could not take their concert PA. They then gave their usual stadium show to the 500 lucky punters crammed into the place. Tom Russell who was still DJ'ing there invited them back to Radio Clyde for an interview on his Rock Show.

Tom was surprised to see them troop into the studio with a Japanese girl in tow. After asking them a long question about being big stars in Japan, having played the Budakan on a regular basis and did they feel they were comprising their status by playing a small gig in Glasgow. He was even more surprised when the girl started speaking to the band in a foreign tongue before he twigged she was translating his question into Japanese. Taking twice as long as Tom took to pose his question the band's spokesperson replied in Japanese which the girl translated in total "We are so very pleased to be in your gracious country."

Christ, I know I was p*ished, thought it was Rooftops Dexter.
I don't drink as half as much these days :wink: All I know
my ears were ringing and thought I saw Tom Russell. Never
mixed cider and lager since :x

Still got most of their albums on vinyl, fav jingle from
the Friday Night Rock Show.

Wonder whats on the mp3 playlist as we speak

Back on topic. Used to work in a job in which I was the
keyholder to a highrise block. Many a fun time had by
all. My cousin is the only one left that still has access
to a city roof. Bikes in any form or shape are not
permitted, due to insurance reasons ;)
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Granite House

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:44 pm

I have posted a couple of photos on another topic with views from Granite House on Trongate.

Here are a couple more.

The highest place in Nitshill is the high flats on Nitshill Road. You can't get on the roof since they covered it so the hiest I could get was the 12th floor.

This is Househillmuir School with the new Silverburn development in the background.

Looking down Peat Road to the Leisure Pool.

St Bernard's RC School with Nitshill to the rear.

Nitshill Road traveling West.

Problem is you can only take pictures from the one side of the building. I know its not a roof top but its the highest you can get.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:23 am

Nice pics Alex ::): ::):

John
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Alex's photograph of St.Bernard's PS reminded me og Glasgow Corporation's policy of getting their money's worth from archictectural plans by building several schools from thm. I think St. Clare's in Easterhouse was the same Bulding as St. Bernard's
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)