London Road/Tobago Street & other sites

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:18 pm

Worth mentioning the little park pics posted here http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... c&start=70
Which is in the shadow of Cranhill water tower, and hidden if you don't know it's there.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Thanks Apollo for these links.

I started reading through the "Proper Regeneration in the East End" topic.

There was an article in the Evening Times about the new park at Westmuir Street. I checked the archive but they don't show a photo. I am sure there was one in the paper. It appeared Dec 20, 2005. pg. 2.

Hope to get some pictures soon.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:40 pm

Hope you get something better than mine - I never passed in decent daylight or not in pouring rain, so this was the best I managed, a few days before the builders left the site:

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:04 pm

Alex just trying again to get on topic (Council's policy of neo-gentrification??!! we should be so lucky that the Council had such a policy ::): )

Thanks for the shots on Budhill in particular. In my East End growing up days, Budhill Square was always considered right dead posh. And of course there is that curious wee collection of terraced and detached houses at nearby Springboig - wholly out of character with the rest of the area. And Apollo thanks for the reminder of the other thread.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:24 pm

As promised here are some vies of the new park at Westmuir Street

There are a couple of parks near Nether Auldhouse Road. The one at the garage has a relatively new play area. The other is across the road and takes you down to the front of the Morrison's store in Newlands.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:09 am

Does anyone have any photos of the park in Drumchapel. There was a new play area near new homes that I understand had to be removed because of vandalism. What happened to it?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Thu May 04, 2006 10:21 pm

There's a little play area just off Achamore Road, just where the hill turns the corner. That was built as part of the new houses on Achamore Road a couple of years back, for Cernach HA. I think.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: London Road/Tobago Street & other sites

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:30 pm

That wee park at the corner of Tobago Street and London Road that started off this thread was the Templeton Memorial Garden, laid out to comemorate the 1889 accident in which 29 women weavers were killed when a wall collapsed on them during construction of an extension to the carpet factory. It's a a shame that it has only just the other day been bulldozed of the face of the earth and become part of the adjoining building site.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks for this.
I was puzzling about that park the other day whilst looking at the earth moving equipment.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:That wee park at the corner of Tobago Street and London Road that started off this thread was the Templeton Memorial Garden, laid out to comemorate the 1889 accident in which 29 women weavers were killed when a wall collapsed on them during construction of an extension to the carpet factory. It's a a shame that it has only just the other day been bulldozed of the face of the earth and become part of the adjoining building site.

Cheers 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)