Old Maryhill Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby james73 » Thu May 06, 2004 5:39 pm

[rail bore]

Sort of, though it doesn't explain the new service in any great detail.

I'm assuming, from that page, that the new line will join to the Anniesland
line, and services will terminate there. This will mean the trains running
empty down the line towards Jordanhill, but turning right at Jordanhill
North junction (?) and parking there, allowing the driver to go to the other
end of the train and take it back up the line to Anniesland.

[/rail bore]

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Thu May 06, 2004 7:37 pm

james73 wrote:No, but I'd like to have a swatch at those leaflets :D

I'm sure that the leaflets dated back to around 1995 at the latest, as the orange "Strathclyde Transport" branding was still in use. I'm not sure where you could get a hold of them now. The Mitchell Library might have a few available for viewing. SPT might still have some in storage (assuming they weren't all binned after the tram project fell through), but I don't know how you would get to those. Frustrating, aint it? :x

james73 wrote:[rail bore]

[/rail bore]

This page:

http://www.railscot.co.uk/schemes/Larkhall/frame.htm

has some info about the Maryhill-Anniesland section. It hints at an autumn 2005 opening date along with the Larkhall line, but I can't see it taking that long to lay one mile of single track line and build just one small station. :?
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:44 pm

scotia47 wrote:This page:

http://www.railscot.co.uk/schemes/Larkhall/frame.htm

has some info about the Maryhill-Anniesland section. It hints at an autumn 2005 opening date along with the Larkhall line, but I can't see it taking that long to lay one mile of single track line and build just one small station. :?

Well, you know the Cowlairs Chord? A very short, direct single-line giving
the Queen St main line direct access to Springburn? It was supposed to
be opened in May 1992. It didn't open until September 1993. The only
excuses they could use about the delay could be that it was a totally new
line, and it required a very short bridge to be built to carry the line over
Cowlairs Road, but even at that... :roll:

As I said above, they've pretty quickly cleared the rubbish and undergrowth
from the old Maryhill to Anniesland section, so maybe it wont take too long.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:56 pm

james73 wrote:[rail bore]

[/rail bore]

According to http://www.railscot.co.uk/schemes/Larkhall/frame.htm that might
not true:

"The closed link from Maryhill (Maryhill Park Junction) to Anniesland
(Knightswood South Junction) follows the course of the former Stobcross
Railway which was closed and lifted in the late 1980s. Since then a fair
amount of rubbish has been dumped on the line at Anniesland. Other than
removing this rubbish there is little to stop the re-opening of the line
except the necessary signalling alterations. The line will pass under the
recently re-opened Forth and Clyde Canal. Initially there will be no
connection at Anniesland station. The line will be a long siding into a
terminal bay platform at Anniesland."

:?:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Sun May 09, 2004 3:22 am

Mainly through sheer laziness, I don't tend to throw things out often. After only about a minute of look, I just found some StrathClyde Tram leaflets, including one with the route. I'll dust down the scanner and post them here when I get a chance, but until then..

The proposed route for Line One is approximately 24 km long and runs from Maryhill in the north-west through the city centre to Easterhouse in the east of the City.

For simplicity the route is described from west to east, beginning at the Maryhill terminus on the north side of Maryhill Road opposite Maryhill shopping centre.

The route then runs beneath the shopping centre and continues southwards using the existing disused Kirklee railway line, and tunnels beneath the Botanic Gardens and Great Western Road emerging near Kelvinbridge Underground station.

It follows the east bank of the Kelvin to Eldon Street Bridge where it crosses to Kelvin Way. The route then crosses the city centre via Sauchiehall Street, George Street and Ingram Street. This cross city section is on-street throughout a predominantly one way system, although there is an option in the city centre of running trams two way on St Vincent Street and Elmbank Street.

To the east of the city centre the trams will run parallel to the existing Airdrie railway line as far as Parkhead Forge where, following a brief off-street alignment serving Riddrie, Ruchazie, Craigend, Garthamlock and ends at Easterhouse.

The southern route option, via Edinburgh Road, would serve Cranhill, Lightburn and Barlanark and would also lead to Easterhouse. Within Easterhouse a one way tram route would be provided on-street along Lochend Road, Lochdochard Road and Westerhouse Road.

There's no date on the leaflets, but it does say
The method of promoting a light railway in Scotland is by submitting an application for a Provisional Order under the Private Legislation Procedure (Scotland) Act 1936.

SPTE intend to apply for a Provisional Order in 1995.

The subsequent parlimentary procedure will continue for around two years and, if necessary, the Secretary of State may hold a Public Inquiry during that time. Royal Assent for the project could therefore be expected in 1997.

Construction work would commence as soon as possible after Royal Assent has been given, but is unlikely before 1998. It will continue for at least two years leading to commissioning and commencement of operation in the year 2000 at the earliest.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:52 pm

martin wrote:

Mainly through sheer laziness, I don't tend to throw things out often. After only about a minute of look, I just found some StrathClyde Tram leaflets, including one with the route. I'll dust down the scanner and post them here when I get a chance, but until then..

The proposed route for Line One is approximately 24 km long and runs from Maryhill in the north-west through the city centre to Easterhouse in the east of the City.

For simplicity the route is described from west to east, beginning at the Maryhill terminus on the north side of Maryhill Road opposite Maryhill shopping centre.

The route then runs beneath the shopping centre and continues southwards using the existing disused Kirklee railway line, and tunnels beneath the Botanic Gardens and Great Western Road emerging near Kelvinbridge Underground station.

It follows the east bank of the Kelvin to Eldon Street Bridge where it crosses to Kelvin Way. The route then crosses the city centre via Sauchiehall Street, George Street and Ingram Street. This cross city section is on-street throughout a predominantly one way system, although there is an option in the city centre of running trams two way on St Vincent Street and Elmbank Street.

To the east of the city centre the trams will run parallel to the existing Airdrie railway line as far as Parkhead Forge where, following a brief off-street alignment serving Riddrie, Ruchazie, Craigend, Garthamlock and ends at Easterhouse.

The southern route option, via Edinburgh Road, would serve Cranhill, Lightburn and Barlanark and would also lead to Easterhouse. Within Easterhouse a one way tram route would be provided on-street along Lochend Road, Lochdochard Road and Westerhouse Road.

There's no date on the leaflets, but it does say
The method of promoting a light railway in Scotland is by submitting an application for a Provisional Order under the Private Legislation Procedure (Scotland) Act 1936.

SPTE intend to apply for a Provisional Order in 1995.

The subsequent parlimentary procedure will continue for around two years and, if necessary, the Secretary of State may hold a Public Inquiry during that time. Royal Assent for the project could therefore be expected in 1997.

Construction work would commence as soon as possible after Royal Assent has been given, but is unlikely before 1998. It will continue for at least two years leading to commissioning and commencement of operation in the year 2000 at the earliest.

I'm 99.99% sure these are the leaflets I had. I can remember such things as the proposed route and the 2000 opening date (sigh...). martin, I am in your debt. 8)
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Under Tesco Maryhill

Postby glasgow987654 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi,

I actually worked for Tesco Security and was based at the Maryhill store for a few months. I had no idea that a station was under the store until I was asked to take some contractors down to the plant room.

There is a stair well from the warehouse that takes you down to the plant room where on the left hand side of the plant room wall there is a 3' square hatch which you really wouldnt take much notice of. When you climb through the hatch there is a metal staircase which takes you down onto what would have been platform level. The staircase isnt part of the original station and was either put in by Tesco or the Co-op.

No platforms exists how ever you could make out where the tracks had been and all the ballast had been left in place.

There are metal gates at the far end of the car park that are secured.

There was talk of some trouble with the building subsiding and care had to be taken with the loads being placed on the shopfloor.

Its well worth a visit and im sure if you asked nicely that the Tesco management would let you have a look.
glasgow987654
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Under Tesco Maryhill

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:06 pm

glasgow987654 wrote:there is a 3' square hatch which you really wouldnt take much notice of. When you climb through the hatch there is a metal staircase which takes you down onto what would have been platform level.

which half of the mushroom did you eat? or do tescos employ munchkins these days? did u mean 3 foot wide? i find 3 inches a little restrictive personally. sounds cool though, anybody fancy getting some photies for posterity?
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:10 pm

Erm, ' does denote feet. " is inches
dazza
-
-

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:12 pm

my mistake:) i think i ate the bad half of the mushroom and im seeing double..

would explain why the whole shopping centre is just on ground level though. and also maybe why it seems to be made of card and chipboard in places... ?
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:52 pm

As you may or may not know, Tesco have plans to tear down the entire Maryhill Shopping Centre and replace it with a brand new Tesco "extra", similar to the one in Springburn. I got a leaflet sent through the post a few months back with some details. However, it makes no reference (that I could see) to the fate of the space set aside for a future station when the current centre was built.

Anyone got any more info? :?
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

tunnels on the same line?

Postby kelvin_hall » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:06 pm

There are a couple of tunnels still at the other side of the old Ruchill golf club. Know locally as "the miley" and the slighty sinister and mysterious "halloween pen".Image
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby anok » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:30 pm

yer aw takin shite. the passenger side of the railway was the south side of the bridge at garrioch road before the bridge that crosses the kelvin you can still see the stone walls of the platform, the goods yard was under the shopping centre.

.This was my playground as a kid , the padlock on th gate goes "missing" every once in a while and you can walk through 8 inches of mud to the gate on the other side . not been for a while though
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:42 pm

Anok, spooky or what? I went out for a drive this afternoon and took the car up past the Botanic Gardens, on up Queen Margaret drive and eventualy found myself in the Ruchill & Maryhill areas, I'd never been up that way before and spotted the below building, I had intended to ask the folks on here what it was, when the first Post I see is yours! Which led me back to James73's pic, on page 1. :)

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:10 pm

Great pics - that's the old Possil (Central) station.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects