Hidden Glasgow War Memorials.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby job78989 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:13 am

Don't know if this is a war memorial or not it is the one in Gorbals Rose Garden, formerly known as Gorbals burialground. It is dedicated to everyone who served their country and has a plaque dedicated to James Stokes VC 1915 -1945. I have posted a few pics on the Glasgow cemetarys thread, but I will post the memorial here as well, its a very modern one and was opened by Councillor Mutter in 2005.

The cemetary also has a very early grave stone dated 1741:

job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:17 am

Job as a new memorial I think it should be one refered to the orgaisation responsible for the upkeep of memorials. The local MP and MSP also attended this to add their support.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:23 am

Here you go Alex. These are the best I could get with an average at best camera which means you have to use a flash on a bloody brass plaque. Cue a massive reflection.

First up is the Cameronians memorial for the Boer War. This is an exact copy of the memorial in the Garrison church in Hamilton.

Next up is a few more memorials. These are all Boer War.

And now for another one. Western Necropolis. Boer War. Any more facts about this one would be gratefully received. As I said before, Historic Scotland haven't a clue about this. It's listed, but all they know is it's Boer War, and it's a memorial.

Here's a close-up of the inscription:

Also in this cemetery you get a load of war graves, including this wee batch of Australians:

This one is in Edinburgh, but has a Glasgow connection. It's a plaque to the HLI dead from the Boer War. This is St. Giles Cathedral.

That'll do you for now...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:46 pm

Fantastic Doc.

Well worth the wait. I am sure cumbo will be pleased with your work.

It is difficult to take good pictures when the elements are against you. I managed to get away with a recent photo of a brass plaque with the flash reflection enhansing the lettering. Fortunate rather than good luck.

I hear there is a memorial over in Shettleston. I will try and nip out one lunch time next week to get a shot.

Keep up the good work.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Cathcart Cemetery

Postby job78989 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Cathcart Cemetery War Memorial, its just inside the main gate:

John
Last edited by job78989 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Here is the Cenotaph

Preparing for the unveiling of the Cenotaph in 1924. I like the way they've put sheets over the lions! "Hmmm, wonder what's under there?"

I came across this memorial while wandering about Oslo. The Norwegian Brigade, by the end of the war, were 7,000 strong and preparing to take back their country.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:08 pm

Not exactly Glasgow, but still an odd location:

Auchentibber, Sydes Brae, between Hamilton/Blantyre.
-practically a country road with hardly any signs of a proper village these days. I used to cycle past it and sit on the wooden benches behind it a decade ago when I was but a boy :)

http://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/port ... NT_ID=1394
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Cathcart Cemetery

Postby DMcNay » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:36 pm

Right, here's a couple of challenges for you:

1. Find and photograph the grave of a man killed in the Falklands in 1982 who is buried somehwere in Glasgow. I was as surprised to see this as anyone, as firstly, I didn't think any bodies were brought home from the Falklands, and secondly, I didn't realise the War Graves commission had a headstone style for that conflict. There's a pointer for you. It looks similar to the World War headstones,but is slightly different.

Challenge 2. Find me two graves next to each other, but on different sides of the war. So...you're looking for a German and a British or Commonwealth grave right next to each other. Again, it's in Glasgow. And it's nice to see the policy of the CWGC in practice. They make a point of not discriminating after death. They consider all the dead to be equal. So you get officer and ordinary soldier next to each other, or a VC winner could be next to a man who was executed. And enemy and ally lie next to each other where they fell.

A small prize to the first person with both pictures.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:02 pm

I have a recollection that a Falklands soldier was buried in Cardonald Cemetery.

Heres the Memorial Cross at Sandymount Cemetery in Springboig/Shettleston

And a War Grave from World War II

Last edited by Alex Glass on Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:19 pm

Alex Glass wrote:I have a recollection that a Falklands soldier was curried in Cardonald Cemetery.

I've heard of those new fangled environmentaly green burials but this is going too far ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Brownag » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:00 pm

Doc Lightning wrote:Right, here's a couple of challenges for you:

1. Find and photograph the grave of a man killed in the Falklands in 1982 who is buried somehwere in Glasgow. I was as surprised to see this as anyone, as firstly, I didn't think any bodies were brought home from the Falklands, and secondly, I didn't realise the War Graves commission had a headstone style for that conflict. There's a pointer for you. It looks similar to the World War headstones,but is slightly different.

Challenge 2. Find me two graves next to each other, but on different sides of the war. So...you're looking for a German and a British or Commonwealth grave right next to each other. Again, it's in Glasgow. And it's nice to see the policy of the CWGC in practice. They make a point of not discriminating after death. They consider all the dead to be equal. So you get officer and ordinary soldier next to each other, or a VC winner could be next to a man who was executed. And enemy and ally lie next to each other where they fell.

A small prize to the first person with both pictures.

Doc Lightning

First of all many thanks for the mention earlier in this thread to my webpage of Scottish War Memorial photos. It’s getting a bit unwieldy and will probably need to be split into two. Hopefully one of these days it will grow up into a proper website.

I’m not going to win your prize but I hope you don’t mind me posting a couple of questions to get some clues for the locals.

Glasgow Falklands Burial: After the Falklands War the bodies were concentrated into one or two cemeteries. I don’t know when the decision was made that the bodies could be returned home but anyone who wanted their loved one reburied in the UK could ask the MoD. Some have been reburied but some are still in the Falklands.
I take it the headstone in Glasgow would be of white Portland Stone and has the corners ‘lopped’ off. That’s the standard MoD Post-war headstone style.
I know Guardsman Jim Reynolds DCM of the Scots Guards was from Glasgow. Is it him?

German Grave: I thought all German graves had been concentrated into Cannock Chase Cemetery in England but I see by checking the CWGC website that there are two German burials in the Western Necropolis. Is this the location of your second challenge?

All the best

Adam

Ps What about the Battle of Langside memorial up beside the Victoria Infirmary
Brownag
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Brownag wrote:Ps What about the Battle of Langside memorial up beside the Victoria Infirmary

Aye catch it while you can. Who knows what might happen now that they're putting down a new road right through the site of the cavalry skirmishes.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:09 pm

Never mind the Memorials, pay the Army Pensions where due without the Public fukking begging. Gurkhas? Oh aye, wee swarthy chaps, used to work for us in the Far East during WW2, greedy wee baistirts.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:29 pm

Alex Glass wrote:
Heres the Memorial Cross at Sandymount Cemetery in Springboig/Shettleston

And if you'd turned round when taking that photo you'd have found the Falklands burial. You must have been standing on it to take that photo...

Here he is:

Brownag,

Right regiment, wrong name. But you're right with the Western Necropolis. Annoyingly I can't find the photo just now.

Your prize is a copy of a book listing the men on the Kirkcaldy and Dysart War Memorials. I'll keep quiet about how you gave me the money for it...

A proper website for your memorial photos? I think I've heard that mentioned before somewhere... :wink:

Another memorial for you lot. Clydesdale Bank, St Vincent Place. Good luck getting a photo. They sent me packing....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Oh, and I can't believe no-one has posted this one yet.

Good god that's an appallingly taken photograph....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects