Moss Heights (Cardonald)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:58 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Blue Neon strips, shirley?

Or do you mean "Berryknowes Rd.?

Craigton Crematorium look awful these days; totally wrecked. :(

You should try and get a few pics of Cumbrae and Bute Towers by night...all lit-up fancy like.

Did you ever read somewhere that the elevators in the Moss Heights were too small and couldn't fit large furniture in them?...including coffins. :?

Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:31 pm

Jupiter-Returns wrote:You should try and get a few pics of Cumbrae and Bute Towers by night...all lit-up fancy like.

Which one is Cumbrae & which is Bute?

Jupiter-Returns wrote:Did you ever read somewhere that the elevators in the Moss Heights were too small and couldn't fit large furniture in them?...including coffins. :?

http://theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00772

Once tenants had moved in, it was discovered that the lifts installed in the buildings were too small to carry coffins and large items of furniture. The problem was a foretaste of others to come when higher blocks were erected in the city.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:47 pm

Yeah that's where i read it too.

Braw site.

I found this>>>

I lived just around the corner from this place.

We moved in 1984. It was a must! I've said before: It wasn't gang versus gang - it was street versus street. :? Wadda place was Castlemilk.

Flats for single persons in Barlia Street in Castlemilk, 1958. Housing was provided for family units of varying sizes on the estate. Although the houses were already occupied, the road, pavements and grassy areas were unfinished when this photograph was taken.

As social problems mounted in Castlemilk during the 1960s and 1970s, people became more critical of the planning of the estate. In 1974 the local newspaper Castlemilk Today voiced its discontent: "Castlemilk was the planners' greatest achievement for they succeeded in packing more people into this area than any other. Something like 45,000 people (give or take 5,000 either way) into the biggest housing scheme in Europe, and something in the region of 10,500 houses have been built on 740 acres. A big soul-less compound, consisting of people, houses and schools, thin on the ground for shops and totally void of any social amenities."

Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/89

And we moved beside the aforepictured flats - Cumbrae and Bute. North Cardonald was a much nicer place to live, especially when the fifty pitches were vast.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:48 pm

Love that signature ::):
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:50 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
Jupiter-Returns wrote:You should try and get a few pics of Cumbrae and Bute Towers by night...all lit-up fancy like.

Jupiter-Returns wrote:Did you ever read somewhere that the elevators in the Moss Heights were too small and couldn't fit large furniture in them?...including coffins. :?

Once tenants had moved in, it was discovered that the lifts installed in the buildings were too small to carry coffins and large items of furniture. The problem was a foretaste of others to come when higher blocks were erected in the city.

On Queensland Dr the tower closest to the 'flyover' which takes you straight into cardonald park/east hillington Industrial est is Cumbrae and the Tower facing Cardonald train station on Berryknowes Rd is Bute Tower.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:10 pm

Anyone got any stories on this place?

Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:27 pm

Hi Jupiter-returns. The building you have highlighted is the well documented Luma lamp factory(a search under Luma within this site should turn up plenty of information). I believe that the factory was set up by the Scottish Cooperative Wholesale Society. I think Mazda the light bulb manufacturer owned the factory at one point. Mazda is the god of light in Zoarastrianism(the religious sect which Freddy Mercury belonged to).
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:28 pm

Forgot to ask !. Do you know who wrote the article you quoted in your second last posting ?.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:08 am

...forgot to say...

Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/89

Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:52 am

HollowHorn wrote:

Hmmnnnn. Can I ask a Q?

This is the question which no-one knows...(well not that I know of)

On Queensland Drive North Cardonald (which runs parallel with Kingsland Dr) and where Bute and Cumbrae Towers stand off: How is one part of Queensland Drive called 'Woodhall Drive' :?: But the whole of the street is addressed Queensland Drive?

When entering Queensland Drive from Berryknowes I've noticed a rather old street name fading away on one of the sandstone bricks on the Victorian houses (first one right beside the lane a stone throw away from Craigton Crematorium enterance) at the bottom of queensland Drive. This name being 'Woodhall Drive'

The victorian houses at the bottom of Queensland Drive are way older than the rest of the mid-terraces and four-in-a-blocks which cover 75% of Queensland dr (give 8% for the two towers :P )...which I know were constructed about, or in 1925 (had done a nosey in about the deeds :D ) Pre-war. Still equipped with a air-raid shelters and complete with an'under-the-stairs' hideout'. 8) Full of spiders. :?

Why not keep the original street name? I ask myself that.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:32 am

When the area was annexed by the City many streets would have been renamed and renumbered.

If there was already a street with that name in the City (or one very similar) it would have been changed, if it could be seen as a continuation of another street in would be renamed and renumbered as such, that's also why you sometimes see painted numbers on buildings that bear no relation to their current number.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby riot grrl » Mon May 22, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm going to have to agree with the other person who preferred the appearance of the Moss Heights prior to refurbishment. It might be because I knew the area well and I never did like that cladding stuff that you see on tower blocks all over the UK. I'm sure the internal refurb made big difference to the residents, though.

I had a few pals at secondary school who lived in the Moss Heights and also in the low rise blocks around the MHs which were based on same layout.

Going against the grain a bit, I never thought the Moss Heights looked 'brutalist'. I suppose they were such a landmark and I'm looking back with nostalgia.

When did that 'brutalist' word come into fashion? It's a word that bugs me. Overused to the point of cliche by middle class journalists to describe any sort of council housing, and let's face it, they never grew up on a housing scheme, so what would they know? But I digress …

If the Moss Heights needed the cladding to make them more fuel efficient, I suppose it had to be done, but I loved the external appearance of the Moss Heights as they were originally.
riot grrl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Wed May 24, 2006 10:02 pm

riot grrl wrote:When did that 'brutalist' word come into fashion?

Right after Vlad made it up, afaik :P
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed May 24, 2006 11:19 pm

Brutalist is a misunderstood word. Most people seem to think it just means 'bad', a bit like the approach of the middle-class journalists towards council housing! Im one of the few fans of the style, never lived in one of the blocks but I would given the chance, especially the ones in Aberdeen!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalism

This is an explanation.

Most council estates are far from brutalist, they are just taken the piss out of for not being 'mock-tudor' I suppose... I took some photos of the Unite d'Habitation in Marseille a while back:

And this is Seamount Court in Aberdeen:

Moss heights is not brutalist at all. It is however modernist in a 50's way...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Wed May 24, 2006 11:32 pm

"Brutalism" was coined i dont whether at the time or retrospectively to certain pieces of modern architecture which lacked excessive adornment in the early 1950's.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects