Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:41 am

I don't think there was any failure on the part of the Resource Centre. If you look at the level of funding that was spent within the Pollok area in the late 80's and early 90's you will see that local groups were able to access more than some parts of the City.

I recall that the Pollok area had the largest share of the old Catagory 'C' funding from Strathclyde Regional Council's Education Department. Sadly there was withdrawal of funding in the late 90's that resulted in no real community work being done due to lack of funding. Therefore when the Social Inclusion Partnership was set up it had to work at building community activity.

The Bellarmine Resouce Centre achieved more than other porjects and was ahead of its time. If we had this type of resource now imagine the work that could have been achieved over the last 10 years. Their work lives on in some of the booklets they produced.

Thank job for providing us with a reminder of the fantastic work carried out at a number of levels by Bellarmine Resource Centre.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:38 am

There were very sound reason for the level of public funding going into pollok due to the levels of deprivation. But all of these sort of things are only seed funding to develop the life skills that are required for real cultural, social and economic progress, when the funding stops so to the progress stops.

I remember being promised by many Regional Councillors not just the local ones, that funds would be maintained for that other vital resource in Nitshill, the Hive Resource Centre. Then the community getting stabbed in the back when most of these politicians started to vote for their own wee favorites supported by council officers on an empire building exercise.

Lack of integrity and of vision by some, many of who still sit as Glasgow councillors today. The current lack of funding provided to sips results in a proscriptive form of development being imposed on communities. I used to participate in the Pollok SIP but found the lack of vision to be some what off putting, with its directive staff and totalitarian leadership.

Real development within communities needs the commitment of local people which can only be achieved by engaging their intrest and taking a long term view to educational input. For example drink driving was not seen as a crime over night nor was the compulsory use of seatbelts real cultural change takes time, money and commitment to achieve.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Sorry to hear that your experiance of the SIP was bad. A lot has been don in the area funded by SIP. Don't know if you will like the Wedge at Pollok round-a-bout.

This building opened late last year and was funded by the Council, SIP and some other sources. It is the base for the Greaterpollok Development Company and the Cyber Cafe.

It was this type of facility that was missing in the 80's/90's.

Also Nitshill is the home of the Glasgow Museum Resource Centre. This is the store for some of Glasgow's museum collection including many famous art works. It is possible to tour the store and see Glasgow's collection not on display. The tour takes place every day at 2.00. If you are going youi should phone to check details about the tour. It is also possible for members of the public to request a special viewing of a particular item of interest to them to be viewed in a small room. Schools can also take a class the the Resource Centre where there are facilites to accommodate them. It is easy to get to by train or bus and is only 15 minutes by car from the city centre.

If you have not been i would recommend it to you.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:57 pm

The new Museum Resource Centre, is a wonderful idea. Here Have not taken the tour yet will do soon. I was aware of this new museum when I was for a very short time involved with the Pollok Kist Project.

As for my view on the wedge!

Click this link and see!
Last edited by job78989 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:41 am

Phase II of the Glasgow Museum Resource Centre is on the way.

Like Phase I this is being done on the back of another major development. It was required to store Glasgow's Collection because of the renovation of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Phase II is required because of the Riverside Transport Museum. There is also talk of Phase III. Prior to GMRC being built items were stored at 16 different locations. As a requirement of the Heritage Lottery funding for Kelvingrove the Council had to resolve it's storage problem. I am sure any visitor will agree GMRC offers a great opportunity to see items previously hidden away from public view.

May be something other HG members would like to visit.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:51 pm

Layout of the new Silverburn.

Artist impression of the front.

A view from Priesthill

The new store is taking shape I hope to get the opportunity for a site visit and will remember to take my camera.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:53 pm

Sorry about the size of the second picture.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Update on Hurlet Cottages. Work in progress

Got this from pgcc93. A great view of the old Water Tower in Pristhill. This photo was taken before Cleeves was built and you can see Old Nitshill.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:40 am

Just found some photos taken at the Darnley Mill Open Day circa 1990. Will scan then and post later. Also a couple of photos of South Nitshill Gala the year my daughter was the Gala Queen.

With the new development almost complete at Muirshiel I have a during and will get an after soon to post up. Amazing how quick the build houses these days.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:27 am

Alex Glass wrote:With the new development almost complete at Muirshiel I have a during and will get an after soon to post up. Amazing how quick the build houses these days.

Nice aerial shot there, changed days indeed.
I can see what was or rather wasnt there before my house was built!!! This "after shot", shall it be an aeiral one? do you perchance have access to an aircraft of some sorts? if so then I am certainly interested in seeing things from a birds eye perspective etc etc....

B.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:40 am

Alex Glass wrote:Got this from pgcc93. A great view of the old Water Tower in Pristhill. This photo was taken before Cleeves was built and you can see Old Nitshill.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:56 am

That could be a rough "during" or "pre after" shot.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi Bex

I am going to be precenting a little gift to one of the new residents at Muirshiel on Thursday afternoon.

I will take a copy of the photo and ask Persimmon if they have any similar pictures of the work in progress.

The photos I intend to post when i can find the time are taken from the train as it approaches Priesthill.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:44 pm

These two photos were taken at the Darnley Mill Project Open Day circa 1990

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

POLLOK,HOUSEHILL AND HURLET

Postby kiwi2 » Mon May 08, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi There,

I have just discovered this great site and as I grew up from 1951 to 1970 at Craigbank I am very interested to hear about this area.
I certainly remember the witches chains, the fossilised tree and have fond memories of swimming in the Levern burn and climbing all over the iron bridge just next to Phillips factory.

I can also remember the blacksmith forge at the Hurlet and sneaking into the woods to catch a glimpse of JP Coates mansion.

I remember Nitshill before the Cavendish, Royal Oak and the Leverndale pubs appeared and the old white miners cottages behind tenement buildings.

Also the turnip fields before South Nitshill was built was where we helped ourselves to the raw neeps.

Does anyone remember at the Hurlet on the corner of Barrhead road there was an area we called the 'Red Hills'. For a time there was motor bike scrambling or am I just imagining it.

The arial photo of the water tower at Priesthill is a cracker and I would put the photo around 1950 to 54.
kiwi2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects