Demolition at Templeton's

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby viceroy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:33 am

I meant to say also that since the design came from a pattern book there have probably been - and maybe still are - similar fountains dotted about Glasgow and this is possibly where the sense of deja vu comes from.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:24 am

The fountain actually used to stand in Crossmyloof... lust a minutes walk from my flat. It was sited on a small island at the intersection of Pollokshaws Rd and Landgside Ave, between the Corona bar and langside halls. I'm not sure when it was moved tho.

Here it is in the late 19th C., the Corona will be in the left in 20 or 30 years time:
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:26 am

Thanks for the info Viceroy. The fountain has moved. If you look at the photo's in the the Glasgow sculpture website, it shows it on the West side of the Templeton Building, probably somewhere near where the Doulton Terracotta Fountain is now sited near the People's Palace.

The photo i took and posted earlier shows it located on the East side of the Templeton Business Centre in Templeton Street.

However, i actually thought i saw the fountain somehere else altogether, but it was probably in a book or something.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:34 am

Posted the bit above before reading Crusty's post. Pity Glasgow could'nt have moved some of it's now demolished listed buildings over the years in the same way it did with it's fountains.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:37 am

Well, the afore-mentioned Langside Halls originally stood on Queen St, but was moved to Shawlands (then Crossmyloof) at the corner of Queens Park nigh on a century ago. It is a pity it's not done more though, its such a waste, so unsustainable :(
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby viceroy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:11 pm

Socceroo wrote:The photo i took and posted earlier shows it located on the East side of the Templeton Business Centre in Templeton Street.

Yes, actually I missed that - wasn't really looking at the precise location.

If you look at this from "Glimpses Of Old Glasgow" and scroll down to the 4th paragraph you can see that the writer mentions the fountain as being west of the Templeton Building, which must indeed have been the original location, since this was written I think around 1895.

So it must have moved from there to Crossmyloof, then back to more or less its original location and subsequently to where it is now.

Either that or it has always been on the Green and Crusty's fountain is a different one of the same design, which would be interesting, wouldn't it? Crusty?
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:16 pm

There used to be a similar fountain, although possibly smaller in Govan near Water Row. Don't know if it is still there. Should be unless the Council have moved it.

I am also sure i have seen similar structures in other parks at different times in the past also.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:44 pm

Here's the background of the Baillie (James) Martin fountain, and the listing at Scottish Ironwork.org. It seems the Saracen Foundry produced a number of very similar fountains as there is also a listing for one in Dun Laoghaire.

The one in Govan is smaller and still there, although in quite a bad state. I think that may have been produced by the Sun Foundry, but I can't be certain on that. If you ever get a chance to look closely at it you'll notice some unusual detailing ...unusual for Scotland anyway.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:27 am

VERDE BUILDING AT TEMPLETON BUSINESS CENTRE - GLASGOW GREEN - TERRACOTTA TILES NOW GOING ON AT FRONT

VERDE BUILDING AT TEMPLETON BUSINESS CENTRE - GLASGOW GREEN - FROM TEMPLETON STREET LOOKING A REAR FACING ONTO COUTYARD

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:14 pm

A wee update from down at Templeton's :

VERDE BUILDING AT TEMPLETON BUSINESS CENTRE - FROM GLASGOW GREEN

VERDE BUILDING - REAR VIEW FROM COURTYARD

BAILLIE MARTIN MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN GETTING NEW HARD LANDSCAPING SCHEME AROUND IT

VERDE AND BOSWELL BUILDINGS FROM GLASGOW GREEN

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:53 pm

Are they fixing up damage/defects on the Templeton building too?

The exterior supports and scoffolding seem to extend across it too.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:58 pm

What does "Verde" mean? Green"? Good name, I'm happy with that.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:04 am

Yes, the existing Boswell Building next to the new Verde building is getting refurbished and turned into flats by ZM Architects and Hunter Clark, i think they are now calling their bit of the development - "Templeton on the Green".

Hunter and Clark also rebuilt the Royal Doulton Fountain opposite the People's Palace.

The remainder of Templeton Business Centre is also getting refurbished bit by bit into flats and refurbished Business units with a new Bar and Micro Brewery also part of the scheme.

The Baillie Martin Fountain landscaping scheme is being undertaken by Glasgow City Council themselves.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:29 am

Some positive benefits them :)

Incidentally, there's a pic of the licence application for the micro-brewery in the first post of this very thread.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:15 am

JUNE 2005

JUNE 2006
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects