Dees of Trongate

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:52 am

onyirtodd wrote:Aren't the 'hidden' Celtic, Rangers, Catholic and Protestant discussions much of what makes Glasgow the city it is?

It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to to do with HG... there's nothing hidden about sectarianism. Keep it for your own PRIVATE discussion if you feel the need to perpetuate the issue.

This is ADMIN'S FINAL WORD on the matter.

Keep it to yourself, or go somewhere else.
crusty_bint
-
-

dees

Postby hazy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 am

Good on you my son CB. Lets get back to DEES. Levi stay press, skinners, Fred Perry T shirts . All paid for by provy cheque. O the nostalga of it.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: dees

Postby weedgie_bored » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:08 am

hazy wrote:Good on you my son CB. Lets get back to DEES. Levi stay press, skinners, Fred Perry T shirts . All paid for by provy cheque. O the nostalga of it.

There's a whole mod shopping history lost round there, Dees, the "Barras" itself, the shoe shop on Schipka, and , ideal to use up the dregs of your check, downstairs in "Golumbs" (or "Columbs" not sure) in the Gallowgate to buy a record or just to listen.
Remember a very popular barber shop round there as well though name long forgotten.
weedgie_bored
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

dees

Postby hazy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Weedgie if you read Dexters wee note on it he seem to be an authority here. Also McMurtys, Im sure they had a decent mod shop there. Did any of you go to the Rooster on a Saturday night. Full of mods
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:25 am

Golumbs ; that is they say a blast from the past. Survived into the eighties according to some of the guitar forums I found.

There was a barber's shop in Stockwell Street I think that actully employed a Mod . It did mean he attracted a lot of Glasgow's crew cutted mods and it could make for an eventful hour in the shop if people from different teams turned up. One of the bastards knocked his razors which spoilt some people's weekend as the finish to their crop wasnt as it should be.

In the original Evening Times articles McMurtries of the High Street is mentioned.

Where was the Rooster?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weedgie_bored » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:33 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Golumbs ; that is they say a blast from the past. Survived into the eighties according to some of the guitar forums I found.
Where was the Rooster?

The musical instrument shop was in Stockwell St I think, the record shop in the Gallowgate was a great Saturdays meeting place in the 50's and 60's. (was that before the "rooster" as I can't recall it?)
Telling English Jewish friends that the equivalent of Epsteins in Glasgow was "Golumbs" they accused me of taking the p.
Apparently the "golum" is a creature not just from Lord of the Rings but from Hebrew mythology (and not a nice one). 8O
weedgie_bored
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Dees

Postby hazy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote: Where was the Rooster?

Dex it was at the top of Glassford Street. The down stairs part was just a pub but when you when upastairs you had to buy a meal to get into the club. Late 70s early 80s. The PO club in Brown st was another mod hang out. Sorry to digress from the almighty Dees here folks.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:55 pm

weedgie_bored wrote:
The musical instrument shop was in Stockwell St I think, the record shop in the Gallowgate was a great Saturdays meeting place in the 50's and 60's. (was that before the "rooster" as I can't recall it?)
Telling English Jewish friends that the equivalent of Epsteins in Glasgow was "Golumbs" they accused me of taking the p.
Apparently the "golum" is a creature not just from Lord of the Rings but from Hebrew mythology (and not a nice one). 8O

I'm sure they featured a Gollum in Marvel Comics and I think he was part of the inspirations behind the invention of Superman by Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:14 pm

If i remember correctly Golumbs(I am not sure this is the correct spelling)had above its door a leaded fanlight which read "Golumbs(sic)The house that value built". I got an acoustic guitar there for my birthday when i was about 13. I think it set my Mum and Dad back the princely sum of £14.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Golumbs ; that is they say a blast from the past. Survived into the eighties according to some of the guitar forums I found.

Didn't one of the Golumb family (Eric?) go on to open the original Glasgow sunbed parlour (Tanerife?) next to Saints and Sinners (King Tut's nowadays) and get into some bother about an electricity bill?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Purchased a specially ordered aubergine drape jacket fae Dee's ten years ago exactly for my leaving school night oot.
When it came up fae london i went tae the shop to try it on and all the staff, the stool percher et al, were round me shakin theur heads and makin apreciative noises cos it'd been so long since they'd sold one.
Also got creepers n winklepickers in the last 8 or so years.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

dees

Postby hazy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:12 pm

Hey S.R you seem to be a conisueir of Dee,s my good man. Its been years since I have been, do you know if they still sell Cuban Heel Ankle boots. Loved them years ago.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: dees

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:08 pm

hazy wrote:Hey S.R you seem to be a conisueir of Dee,s my good man. Its been years since I have been, do you know if they still sell Cuban Heel Ankle boots. Loved them years ago.

They didn't sell them when I was initially lookin roundabout that time.

However, here is where I have tracked them down. At no a bad price either:
http://www.underground-england.co.uk/acatalog/English_RockB.html

By the way, Dee's currently doin beautiful Lyle & scott v neck tank tops, fine merino wool, fur 28 bangers!
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

dees

Postby hazy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:12 pm

Cheers SR you got me dribbling at the mouth here.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)