Good Restaurants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Good Restaurants

Postby The_Clincher » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:33 pm

Would be interested to hear your of your fav eateries....Me & Mrs Clincher tend to get around...so a few short reviews here...post your best! ::):

In no particular order-

Frankie & Bennies, Springfield Quay- New York /Italian themed. Good choice steaks n pastas, good prices. Can be quite busy at the weekend, but quite reasonable overall.

La Fiorentina, Paisley Road Toll- Slightly more expensive-than-usual Italian set in Italian decor inside. Very nice food, and good service. Plenty of choice but a tad more expensive than some others..take some-one here to impress them.

Di Maggios, Royal Exchange Square- Went on a Sunday night..can imagine it's quite busy Sat etc or when big events are on. Nice enough decor, decent food at decent rates. Service was good too. Varied dishes...Italian, Steaks etc..similar to Frankie & Bennies...not bad!

Culcreuch Castle, Fintry- Bar meals are served in "The Dungeon Bar" til 9pm. Excellent value for money & good food as well. Eating in the dungeon itself is an experience...cosy, candlelit with a nice atmosphere. Very reasonable costs, and good food too. I always have the steak here...but i'm assured the other things are nice too! :wink: The venue itself is over "the Crow Road" at Lennoxtown (over the Campsies) just follow signs for Fintry.

That's just a few of mine...would love to hear yours!
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:04 pm

have you ever been to la tasca on renfield st?? would love to know whats its like as it looks really nice from the outside.

thanx
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:23 pm

La Tasca's alright actually... in a tapazy kinda way, authentic enough though! And when it gets sunny (he laughs) they go al fresco and swing the doors back so you can breathe in the traffic fumes off Renfield St :wink:

Don't mean to put you off or anything, I would recommend it :D

I can't stand Frankie & Bennies tho... any of them! Di Maggios in RES is great, got that art deco touch to it and do the best 5 cheese pizza Iv ever had :D Don't go to the one in Shawlands tho!

Bella Napoli in Shawlands is nice and theres a new Kurdish restraunt opening in the old Sue Ryder shop (they've kept the handle Fossy... dont worry :wink: ) complete with swirly carpet and chandelliers ::):

bonjour
CB :wink: ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:26 pm

McDonalds.

woo woo!
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:28 pm

hahaha... have to admit, Im happiest with pizza hut takeaway! ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:36 pm

My faves were:

Cheap lunch - creme de la creme, Horseshoe Bar

The Chip - mainly for the ice cream
Bennys - Alexandra Parade
All in One - Dennistoun - think it shut now :(
Mother India
Mcphees - Byres Road - different class from the one in the toon (i know i am a snob)
Fritters fron the chippy in Govan along from the shopping centre
Kebab shop at Cessnock underground
Copper Pot , Cessnock - great rolls n sausage
Celinos - Dennistoun - brilliant! have a scooby snack £3 and you dont need to eat for a month
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:27 pm

Kublai Khan's in Merchant City is bbrilliant! Mongolian concoct-it-yourself hotplate BBQ.

Ocho does a great "All the sushi you can stuff down your gullet in an hour" Sunday offer, and Ichi Ban does some great Japanese full meals. ( I recommend the chicken chili Soba soup. It's NOT just a starter! )
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat May 01, 2004 8:50 am

ooo Kublais forgot that one, had many a good night in there.

Do my SO's head in when we go to places like that down here "this isn't as good as Kublais is it" in EVERY place we have tried. Poor wee soul.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby evilmiss » Sat May 01, 2004 8:52 am

Oooh...Ichiban....mmmmmmmm.

There's also Oko at the top end of Ingram Street....Sushi-licious
Nice N Sleasy - the best Burritos ever...
Cafe Hula (top of hope street, next to Trader Joe's) yummy, licenced and cheap.
The Lab - (just off Buchanan St, sandwiched between Princes Square and Footlocker) Serves the best Club sandwich and cocktails are served in plastic beakers...what fun. :)
Two Fat Ladies - 88 Dumbarton Road, nice and cosy fish restaraunt,
same goes for Gamba, way at the to of West George St, adjacent to Blytheswood Square.
The Solid Rock - the only place I know that serves a 'Towering Inferno' - a triple chili burger :oops:
Pancho Villas on Bell St, Mexican yumminess....
Cafe Andaluz - in the wee lane behind Byres Road, across from Decourcey's arcade...tapas *drools*

Enjoy :D
Don't dream it. Be it.
evilmiss
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Sat May 01, 2004 11:20 am

there is an amazing chinese takeaway in larkhall - the sunrise, nothing else comes close to there sweet and sour chicken :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GoRdY_b » Tue May 11, 2004 2:37 pm

Got to echo the recommendation of Frankie and Benny's - the other half and I went and both had 3 courses + two drinks and rolled out having paid £40. Now that aint half bad for Saturday night and the food was superb!

Favourite italian though has to be Andiamo in Giffnock. Bit more pricey but the mussels are divine and there's a cheesy pasta dish wrapped in foil and baked which is phenomenal!

For an Indian may I recommend Mirage in Paisley? Always get good banter with the waiters and never disappointed with the food.

I notice nobody has mentioned Ashoka anywhere! Maybe it's to do with the fact that they've standardised all their recipes so there's no longer any flair or individuality to their meals. Also the fact that certain "Shaks" obviously water down the sauces hardly helps.
Hope is an indulgence for which I have little time.
GoRdY_b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mustardman » Fri May 21, 2004 6:31 pm

Mr Singhs, enough said!
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Sat May 22, 2004 9:27 am

Esca opposite the Tron is really nice and so is Tony's opposite the Odeon
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Good places to eat

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon May 24, 2004 11:28 pm

Always favoured Ichiban and Mono in King's Court myself.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue May 25, 2004 9:43 am

There is always a trade-off between price, food, decor, service etc. One of my regular favourites for Italian is La Lanterna at the bottom of Hope Street, traditional, authentic but not stuffy, ok prices and friendly staff once you make the initial signals, shut on Sundays (see, real Italians). Gamba is just about one of the best fish places I have been to in the UK but the prices are sky high and I was only there the twice 'cause it was some one else (business) paying. The De Maggios branch somewhere in a semi-industrial estate in semi-industrial East Kilbride was dreadful - sheer bedlam from this huge open plan bar diner with numerous TV screens, games machines and bad taste muzak.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants