village under water

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby cumbo » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:15 am

I'm South lanarkshire scum ! thanks for the link.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby youngsod » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:25 pm

This village is where my dad grew up in. It's named Bothwellhaugh, but is known by everyone who lives there as The Pailice'. It was a typical mining village from what he's told me. They lived in a room and kitchen in Douglas Street (which he swears blind I didn't get my name from!), Sounds not too bad until you realise he lived there with mother, father, granpa & 7 brothers. From what he tells me and from what I've heard from others it was a fantastic place to live, and everyone loved it. Of course this was mainly due to the community rather than the housing.

Pops and family moved out in 1948 to Community Road Bellshill which was a palace as it had an inside bog. From what he's told me the village died a slow death after the mine shut, and I think it was finally demolished in the late 60s. Nothing remains of the village itself, though I think the wee visitors centre is an old farm building of some kind. In fact the street my dad grew up in is now in the middle of the Loch, at the bothwell end.

There is a Cairn there, and every year there was a celebration. However I think last years was the last one as there are so few people left still alive.
youngsod
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:16 am

Is the Hamilton Palace place you talk of, the same one that was eventually abandonned and then fell into serious disrepair cause of subsidence caused by the mining? Mining right up practicaly to the walls of the house! Or something like that...

(Not sure where I heard this btw) :?

Del.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:40 am

Yeah, thats the one Del... I believe the problems were due to under-mining, more here tho:

Hamilton Palace
Glasgow Ironwork

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:14 am

The Hamilton family (who owned the Palace) originally signed a deal for mining under the palace that involved leaving large "props" to stop thew building sinking into the ground. Then a few years later they realised they'd make a lot more money selling the house, moving to a smaller (but no less extravagant) house, and allowing full mining underneath.

Their gain is Scotland's loss. Hamilton Palace was probably one of the finest buildings in Scotland.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jgallacher » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:59 pm

I would think that the Shieldhall fever hospital wouldn't be on Helen Street as Shieldhall and Helen Street are quite a distance apart but I will try to check it out.
jgallacher
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects