Hamilton Palace

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hamilton Palace

Postby DMcNay » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:38 pm

Not the nightclub. This is related to the "village under water" topic, but thought I should post this separately.

http://sites.scran.ac.uk/vhp/index.html

Would be nice if some other buildings got this kind of treatment...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:41 pm

Aww i thought there would be some choice hamilton palace action photos.

Good site though, I know nothing about that area and why it was called hamilton palace :oops:
Learned something new today
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:43 pm

Is there any reason why it was demonlished, it looks like a lovely building.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:47 pm

emmar wrote:Is there any reason why it was demonlished, it looks like a lovely building.

Because the family stood to make a HUGE amount of money from selling the rights to mine for coal underneath it. Which they did. They also made a fortune selling literally thousands of items of art, crockery, cutlery, etc when they moved out.

My friend Jim has a copy of the auction catalogue from the Twenties. The stuff was sold all over the world, from people who had worked their buying the odd bit of cheap china, to some paintings which ended up in the Louvre.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:03 am

there are some pics of the fence on my other thread, Hamilton Pics, this shows the mausoleum as well.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tip2tail » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:10 am

The reason it was demolished is because they had actually sold the rights to the coal seems long before. The building had started to sink into the now cavernous gound below.

Another example of this near by is the Duke's Hunting Lodge at Chatelherault just outside Hamilton. You can go for a walk around the building and if you goto the right-hand wing of the building and place a coin on its side at the rightmost side of the room (I think its the Duchessess bedroom) it will roll - quite quickly - to the left such is the extent of the sinking. It was only saved when the council decided to resore it to a visitor attraction in 1989.

Have a look at the photos of Hamilton which nuttytigger has just posted for some images about the Palace other Duke related buildings from the Palace Grounds.
Mark Young
http://www.tip2tail.co.uk || [email protected]
tip2tail
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects