village under water

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

village under water

Postby cumbo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:22 am

Perhaps some of the Lanarkshire chaps can help with this:
I was told that Strathclyde park was built on an old mineing village.I saw a picture in a magazine years ago that confirmed this.As far as I can see they built up the sides of the man made 'Loch' and diverted the River Clyde through the main street,flooding it. This must only have happend about 30 years ago. What was the name of this village?
Last edited by cumbo on Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:35 am

The BBC did a documentary on this place about three years ago, the name of which escapes me :? It had colour film taken with a cine-camera by one of the locals just before they were relocated.
Any folks from that part of Lanarkshire put a name to this submerged village :?:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:35 am

could a diving expedition be on the cards for the Hidden Glasgow massive?!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:38 am

As far as I know, and I'll check this up, but where Strathclyde Park is now used to be part of the estate for Hamilton Palace, which was demolished in the 1920's so they could mine for coal underneath it.

The Duke of Hamilton made a fortune from the sale, and moved to his slightly smaller big house a wee bit further away.

There's some stuff on Hamilton Palace (as well as loads of photos) at the Low Parks Museum in Hamilton. Go visit. Combine it with a tour of the Mausoleum, which I really need to go see one of these days.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:38 am

caine wrote:could a diving expedition be on the cards for the Hidden Glasgow massive?!

There won't be anything there, trust me.....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Osiris » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:48 am

hey all,

i think the village under the loch may be bothwellhaugh. there was also originally a couple of ponds which they joined up and extended to make the loch. i also heard they moved the roman fort which would be under water when they flooded the loch, although i'v never been able to locate it.

Strathclyde park and the surrounding parks (dalziel and chaterhault hold quite a few secrets waiting exploration).

Cheers, J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:52 am

If you enter Strathclyde Park from the Motherwell end, the Roman remains are somewhere on your left hand side.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:56 am

Thanks for your help ;Our very own underwater Brigadoon.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Osiris » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:00 am

I'v seen signs for the Roman fort and know roughly where it should be, just never been able to pinpoint it exactly. there is a roman bathhouse which is well preserved and also a roman bridge. there are some great ruins all around the woods which date from the Hamilton dynasty also.

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:24 am

Dr_Lightning:

One of the largest mausolea in the world, the building was started by David Hamilton in 1842 and completed by David Bryce and Alexander Richie in 1858. It was built for the 10th Duke of Hamilton at the immense cost of £130,000 as a family chapel and tomb, although its peculiar acoustics prevented its use as a chapel. Designed in a grand style it has been described as "an extraordinary work of architectural sculpture rather than a building". Its dome is 36m (120 feet) high, and there is a fine mosaic floor and large bronze doors.

On his death, the 10th Duke was entombed there in an Egyptian sarcophagus, along with 16 other members of his family who were transferred from the remaining aisle of the nearby collegiate church.

Like much of the Hamilton Estate, the mausoleum was struck by subsidence, due to the removal of the coal beneath. The mausoleum sank 5.5m (18 feet), but surprisingly still stands, although most of the bodies it contained were transferred to the nearby Bent Cemetery in 1921.

From http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/feature ... t6722.html

I was in there on a school trip when I was in high school. I think it has the longest echo of any building in the world. I'm unsure whether or not it's still open. I wouldn't mind visiting it again for myself, now you mention it.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:37 am

dont think its open -K- was over at it a couple o years ago.. looks like a wee trip soon then :wink:

-t-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby nuttytigger » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:57 am

There is nothing left under the loch as i have the documentary on tape somewhere, the village dissapeared after a big fire closed the main shop so families started moving out. therefore they made plans for strathclyde park and then the whole village was raised to the ground.

you can find the old reamins easily, but when you go to strathclyde park there is nothin there to suggest a village.

also the mausoleum is a magnificent viewing feature although the neds have graffitied the wheol bottom of it, my fiances great-grandad help with the moving of bodies in the early 1920s.

hope this helps,

nuttytigger
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:15 pm

There are regular tours of the Mausoleum, they're organised by the people at the Low Parks Museum. I'll make some enquiries.

Anyone fancy a tour of the tomb?
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

tour of the tomb

Postby nuttytigger » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:18 pm

i would love to go :)

although i think tip2tail has been there already :)

nuttytigger
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:20 pm

Sounds good to me. Always up for a tour of a tomb. It was designed by David Hamilton, who also designed the Bridge of Sighs, the Egyptian Vaults, the gatekeeper's lodge and the ornamental gates at the Necropolis.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects