Kelvin Hall

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby viceroy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:56 pm

At first I was sceptical about the new Transport Museum on the Clyde but I became a convert and I look forward to what I am sure is going to be an exciting and attractive development. Judging by some of the comments which have been made I thought I might be in a minority of one, but after Crusty's post I'm glad to see that I'm not.

Mention was made about the new museum's lack of accessibility to the public transport system. I think this is an exaggeration. O.K. the Kevin Hall is a bit more central. But to walk to the new transport museum from Partick Cross shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes, Partick Central isn't much further away and even the Exhibition Centre station is well within walking distance. Not exactly an ordeal for the majority of people. I walk from Ibrox to the West End and back at least once a week and I'm pushing 60. We're all getting far too lazy, that's what I say.

Suggestions about extending the present transport museum into the rest of the Kelvin Hall are of course entirely academic now since it is simply not going to happen. But say this had been the Council's decision and the Sports Arena was to be swept away in favour of a much larger transport museum. Fine for those of us, myself included, who like transport history. But can you just imagine the howls of outrage from various sporting interests? You can't please all of the people all the time.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:12 pm

I like the idea of the move, but I fear the public transport links will take a while to catch up. I'd be amazed if they don't run at least one bus route along the new road south of the expressway. The light rail link I'll believe when I see it. At least the car parking will be better for families visiting.
Me, I'll walk, even though I'm over 60 and pushing too many lbs :cry:
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:35 am

I did say in the long run... there will be thousands of new homes created in the immediate vicinity of the new museum, and on both sides of the Clyde. With the completion of the "squinty bridge" the area will have an increased amenability, and if the Govan bridge ever gets off the ground and over the water (which it will eventually) then all the better. Then you have improved public transport links like the new (seemingly cursed) Partick Interchange along with Govan's new transport hub and even a section of the expressway is being lowered to allow pedestrian free fow in the area. I'm pretty sure First and every othr bus company in Glasgow will be eager to cash in on new routes serving, concievably, thousands of pasengers (tourist or local) a year. And walking's always good! :D

Things have to change, thats just the nature of our existence. There's no point in bemoaning or even belittling a change for the good, something of a rarity in this city I'm sure you'll all agree. I feel this is a real problem in Glasgow, people are more than eager to cast dispersions and jump to conclusions, but nothing constructive is ever said or done. If you are truly worried that the Kelvin Hall is to become "luxury flats" for a "luxury elite" then let GCC know. Write to the AHSS, Historic Scotland, Glasgow Building Preservation Trust, the West End mob, your Councillor, your MSP, your MP, the Councillor/MSP/MP representing the area (Aileen Colleran I think). If you feel as though you don't know wat to write in such a letter then just writeexactly how you feel. If you feel you want to do more than just write a letter then join one of the societies, or even form a society of your own.

There was discussion some time ago in reagrds to how Hidden Glasgow could facilitate this core of opinion into action, might do good to resurrect that thread seeing as HG's new-build is underway...

Btw... this post wasn't aimed at anyone, just the world hehe Please don't be offended, rant over :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:41 am

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:28 am

Personally i'm not against change, or new build, or even "luxury flats" :) I more than welcome the regeneration of Clydeside. I'm not even really against moving the Transport Museum there, but I don't want to see the Kelvin Hall demolished.
I mentioned the luxury flats, because that's what i'd heard would be taking it's place, if it had been a supermarket, or offices, i'd have bitched about that :wink:

I must admit, although i'm not keen on the new museum it does have a hint of victorian glass station roof about it. However one other gripe is i've heard it won't offer much more spare than the old site, that's a shame as there are so many exhibits which deserve to be in there.

It's a good idea about getting involved, too often we moan about things, but do nothing. Has there been any examples of this approach getting results in Glasgow ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:56 am

Personally, i welcome the new Transport Museum on the Clyde but i have misgivings over the Architect who was chosen.

Probably i am a wee bit bias about Gareth Hoskins Architects, who are a Glasgow based Architects, who came in second in the design competition, and for my tuppenceworth had a unique design which was wrongly allowed to slip away. :evil:

Stunning design. I'll post a pic when i get a chance.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:58 am

Well yes! The fact that any of our heritage is stll standing is a testament to the will of others to get involved, have you never seen the Bruce Plan? It was the work of individuals who formed themselves into pressure groups and societies, such as the New Glasgow Society, that led to the change of tact with the old corporation and eventually to the formation of bodies such as the West End Conservation Trust and the GBPT, who incidently were the first such organisation to be created in the UK.

After losing huge swathes of Glasgow in the 1960's we are now facing the same problem, and challenge, only this time it's by stealth, the odd fire here, the odd dangerous building notice there! I don't particularly want to see the Hall become flats either, but I'm not too bothered so long as it survives. But if it means something to you that it should remain a public facility then you have to make your voice heard. Polititians like to be able to quantify things, everyone on HG adds up to a rather substantial quantity! Hey, even the people on this thread would add up to a rather loud voice at this stage, before the up-coming question mark over the future of the Kelvin Hall. Gap and Nodrog often post topics asking for support for the retention of old cinemas, there's nothing to stop anyone doing the same against changes of use of a building, or even change of ownership if it's owned by the Local Authority.

If any of you want to write a letter expressing concern over the future of the Kelvin Hall and soon-to-beformer Museum of Transport site then I'll support you and write one too. Not that I'm anyone f significance, but as I said... qauntitititititative :wink:
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby AlanM » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:48 am

crusty_bint wrote:If you are truly worried that the Kelvin Hall is to become "luxury flats" for a "luxury elite" then let GCC know. Write to the AHSS, Historic Scotland, Glasgow Building Preservation Trust, the West End mob, your Councillor, your MSP, your MP, the Councillor/MSP/MP representing the area (Aileen Colleran I think).

MSP is Pauline McNeill although Sandra White (list MSP) would also be interested, MP is Mohamed Sarwar.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:03 am

At least part of the reason the decision was taken to purpose-build the new Transport Museum, from what I hear, was the deteriorating state of some of the more vulnerable exhibits due to the impossibility of controlling the climate in the present building. Surely conservation of the collections (only a small part of what's available is actually on display and not exactly displayed to best advantage in the cramped conditions) is as important as conservation of the building that currently houses them. I have huge affection for the Kelvin Hall and the current transport museum, where many a happy hour has been spent, but I think it's time for the move. The present transport issues for the new site will change when there's something out there to run a bus to.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:30 pm

AlanM wrote:MSP is Pauline McNeill although Sandra White (list MSP) would also be interested, MP is Mohamed Sarwar.

MP is Ann McKechin
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:26 am

stinkpad wrote:
AlanM wrote:MSP is Pauline McNeill although Sandra White (list MSP) would also be interested, MP is Mohamed Sarwar.

MP is Ann McKechin

No its not, it is in fact Mr Sarwar, the Kelvin Hall is at the boundary of his constituency (I did check)
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:42 pm

AlanM wrote:No its not, it is in fact Mr Sarwar, the Kelvin Hall is at the boundary of his constituency (I did check)

:oops: ::):
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:13 pm

stinkpad wrote:
AlanM wrote:No its not, it is in fact Mr Sarwar, the Kelvin Hall is at the boundary of his constituency (I did check)

:oops: ::):

There's also an election poster for Sarwar on a lamppost across from the Kelvin Hall - at least I think it's still there.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:33 am

I might as well say "I told you so", I must have somewhere, and I'm sure no-one will be surprised, but here comes the start of the budget-busting on the new museum of transport.

Yet again, we have to go and parachute in a big name architect for a distinctly local project, and the the cost estimates are starting to soar.

This "ultra modern icon" is atteracting additional costs because the Clyde Maritime Trust and the sailing ship Glenlee are going to move to the same site. Oh yes, and also because of its unique design features of a roof with the appearance of ripples in sand and transparent walls. In addition, the site is to be raised to reduce the chance of flooding from the river.

It's currently due to open in December 2008, expected to attract 400,000 visitors per year, and now priced at... at least £60 million.

Pencil those number away for future reference.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

It's all relative.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:10 am

You did not happen to pencil away the cost of the MI6 Building that the IRA managed to hit with a bazooka?

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)