Coatbridge Area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby tommytank » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:33 pm

Ah, i see. That clears that one up :D

Alycidon wrote:The canal still exists through Drumpellier Park and the flow of water is maintained by underground pipes that feed the Forth and Clyde at Port Dundas

Cooool!
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:54 pm

Alycidon wrote:The canal had fallen out of use well before WW2 and it became a rat infested death trap for children. Following a successful campaign the process to fill in the canal started in 1964

I just wonder how much any influence from concerned parents would've had
on this decision, given that plans for a motorway were already in place? :?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:14 pm

Well put it this way James, I doubt anyone had any objections at the time! At least not from anyone who lived beside the canal. It was filled in long before i was born but not before my brothers and sisters were. My brother lost a friend to the canal at the Garthamlock stretch aged 5, and my grans told what a putrid filthy infested linear bog it had become by at least the 1950s.

Still, tiz a shame it wasnt kept and refurbed.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby escotregen » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:36 pm

James I can just about dimly remember as a wee boy there being a big tragedy at the Firhill basin when some kids (2 or 3 or more?) fell through ice on the frozen canal and drowned. It got full-scale tabloid press coverage. This would have been the early 60s so it could tie in with your idea of parents pressure.

Growing up in Maryhill we wuz always being warned to never, never, ever, go playing 'up the nolly'. The rotting deid dugs floating in it now and again should have been enough to put us sensitive children off - but actually that added to the attractions for us :)

The campaign to fill in the canals (if there was one) would have been similar to the populist campaign around the same time for demolition and clearance of the many left-over brick WW2 bomb shelters still existing in back courts and common areas. These ageing structures had a tendency to collapse and injure the kids playing on them and vandalising them - it seems this was regarded as detrimental to the amenity of the neighbourhood.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:54 pm

My mum was brought up in Queenslie in the 50's and she says it was manky then too.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:18 pm

StevenJ wrote:Image

Whoa what a colour scheme. Does the boy who owns it support Aston Villa??
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

remains of Monkland canal?

Postby swavmcav » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Are there any remains of the Monkland Canal in Glasgow? Bridges, towpath, locks etc.

I know mostly it's under the M8 but there must be something.
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:56 am

swavmcav wrote:Are there any remains of the Monkland Canal in Glasgow? Bridges, towpath, locks etc

If you take the slip road from the Eastbound M8 onto Springburn road and look up to you right you can see the old bridge girder that took Castle Street over the canal just before the junction with Royston Road.

Google Earth Coords- lat=55.8685661405, lon=-4.23440926406

The canal turned sharply to the south just to the east of this bridge through the ash pitch that is visible on GE before taking up the line of the Motorway again.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Pretty sure that this is the bridge that is still there, from the Virtual Mitchell collection

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:22 pm

Alycidon wrote:Pretty sure that this is the bridge that is still there, from the Virtual Mitchell collection

That's the one - I'll take a wander up there at the weekend - try out my new
digi cam.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)