tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:29 pm

crusty_bint wrote: Virginia galleries was originally built as the Crown Arcade and operated as the city's tobacco exchange, later becoming the sugar exchange. It is deeply saddening that even today/in recent years destruction like this is able to happen in the heart of Glasgow's "Merchant City". Still, at least M&S got thier square meterage out of it. Hey ho :)

As of this morning:

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:53 am

Ironic considering this area of land sits directly behind the HQ of Glasgow Building Preservation Trust.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:12 pm

I note that the Galleries still exist on Google Earth :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Kelvinhaugh Tunnel

Postby stinkpad » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:20 pm

I've been dicking about with overlays on Google Earth and noticed what looks like the south portal of the Yorkhill tunnel. Is this portal still there or has it been filled in? Anyone got any pics from the ground?

stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:36 pm

This would be just about where the new Argyle Line tunnel from Kelvinhaugh Junction would burst into the formation of the original Caley formation.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazed_and_confused » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:26 am

Alycidon wrote:This would be just about where the new Argyle Line tunnel from Kelvinhaugh Junction would burst into the formation of the original Caley formation.

Do those tunnels join up, the same as the other ones down by the Exhibition Centre station?

Also, I was walking to Burger King for lunch today from (ain't I healthy! ::): ), and I noticed something tunnel like that I hadn't seen before. It's immediately south of the Odeon building at the quay. On the road, there's 2 sections of wall that caught my eye. Looking round the back, shows the ground dropping down, and a bog standard 'railway tunnel - no entry' fence put up.

Google Earth shows a light patch on the road, the width of the tunnel/bridge at the lights on Paisley road. From the air, it looks like it goes just down to the M8/Sheilds road crossing. If I remember correctly, there's a big concrete ditch under the motorway. Then it would appear to split (above ground?), and join on the Glasgow-Paisley railway line.

Is this right, or am I just suffering from Burger King enduced hallucinations? I've not heard anything about it on here, which is why I'm wondering....

I'll investigate when I'm back at work on Friday, with my trusty tunnel exploring friend Chris. :D

Al 8)
dazed_and_confused
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dazed_and_confused » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:45 am

Whoops, found it. Was spelling Springfield wrong in the search box, which is why nothing turned up. :oops:

For those of you who are interested, you can see it here.....

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Al
dazed_and_confused
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:51 am

Do you mean the tunnel that Scotland street goes over at the bottom of Sheilds Road? Under to motorway?
If you walk around the lane at the other side, you'll walk along the wall and cobble path. Buildings like Litecraft have been built over it now
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:54 am

Hi Guys

dazed_and_confused wrote:Alycidon wrote:
This would be just about where the new Argyle Line tunnel from Kelvinhaugh Junction would burst into the formation of the original Caley formation.

Do those tunnels join up, the same as the other ones down by the Exhibition Centre station?

I would doubt this, at the Exhibition Centre junction the tunnel that is in use and the disused one existed prior to reopening so there was no point in spending money to close it off but at the point where the new formation was created I would think that the new concrete tunnel would close off the old formation, but I would not rule out the existance of an emergency access door at the location.

Regarding the access tracks to General Terminus Quay, apart from the deep cutting that carried the main approach tracks there was also a little known tunnel that gave access to the GSWR route up to the City Union Line, will try and post map and photo's tonight.

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:32 am

Alycidon wrote:Hi Guys

dazed_and_confused wrote:Alycidon wrote:

I would doubt this, at the Exhibition Centre junction the tunnel that is in use and the disused one existed prior to reopening so there was no point in spending money to close it off but at the point where the new formation was created I would think that the new concrete tunnel would close off the old formation, but I would not rule out the existance of an emergency access door at the location.

Old and Current tunnels

The in-tunnel junction

The blockage in the Yorkhill tunnel - the new line burrows in from the
right beyond this blockage

Alycidon wrote:Regarding the access tracks to General Terminus Quay, apart from the deep cutting that carried the main approach tracks there was also a little known tunnel that gave access to the GSWR route up to the City Union Line, will try and post map and photo's tonight.

JBH

You mean, from General Terminus to the original Canal lines? Would like to
see photos of that - a small project of mine would benefit from that...

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:27 am

I have tried to annotate a Google Earth view as an initial attempt to show the course of the abandoned tunnel. It is shown in blue, running from Scotland Street Junction on the General Terminus branch to Port Eglinton Junction on the GSWR line. The GSWR line was totally abandoned when St Enoch was closed as the parallel Glasgow and Paisley Joint line could carry all traffic, although the layout had to be changed further to the west as originally you couldn't access the Paisley Canal line from Glasgow Central.

The Key to the photo:
Light Blue = Former Caledonian main line, still open
Yellow = GSWR Main line, closed and lifted
Orange = City Union Line (joint)
Magenta = General Terminus branch, closed and lifted
Red = General Terminus branch, still used for freight
Dark Blue = Connecting tunnel from General Terminus branch to GSW line

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:41 am

Looks about right. Theres a picture in "An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways"
which shows a double-headed steam train hauling coal (I think) away from the
General Terminus branch. It says it's viewed from the Caledonian part of Shields
Road station, but is this train on the General Terminus branch or the connecting line? :?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:53 pm

james73 wrote:The in-tunnel junction

Interesting. For some reason I had always thought that the junction was a lot more compact than this.

What also interests me is how that photo got taken in the first place, considering that the line is open. :?
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby birdie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:40 pm

That dark blue line is very interesting. The tunnel is under there somewhere, but no access is known. Spent hours looking for it once and never found it. May pay another visit sometime.

birdie.
birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby McShad » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:47 pm

Just at the north point of that blue line, its interesting the way the parked cars snake down to that point.

I know there is a tunnel under the main line at the sheildhall depot... I've seen a long coal train sitting in it before... the engine on the north side and the rest on the sheildhall depot side... just a memory from the days when I worked in Ayr *edit* this lies to the west of this point
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects