Train Timetables

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Train Timetables

Postby Shazbat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:58 am

News bulletins this morning announcing the new winter timetable for trains.
Umm, why?
Folks who use the trains on a regular basis are going about their business in the same way and I can't see how the dark nights and mornings would have anything to do with it.
So, trainheads - why is there a winter timetable?
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:26 am

This is nothing new, althought the period covered by the timetable has changed. In BR days the new timetables used to be published at the start of May and the "summer" timetable ran until the beginning of October, after which the traffic pattern thinned out as the trains aimed at the holidaymaker and daytripper were discontinued over the winter
Since privatisation the trend has become to have a nominal date in June and December for each of the TOCs to assess their traffic flows over the six month period and reschedule accordingly. Quoting the First Scotrail site "In the SPT area, we are introducing a new route from Milngavie to Larkhall, which includes three new stations at Chatelherault, Merryton and Larkhall. We will also be increasing the frequency of some services, and offering additional late night trains to Helensburgh, Drumgelloch and Ayrshire." also Virgin are launching the full tilting Pendildolena service to Glasgow with the reduction in journey time to four and a half hours.
Saves having each of the companies making alterations at different times which would be confusing to the user
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Train Timetables

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:58 am

Shazbat wrote:trainheads

love it.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Alycidon wrote:also Virgin are launching the full tilting Pendildolena service to Glasgow

I take it you aren't a fan of the new tilting trains then.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:31 pm

stinkpad wrote:I take it you aren't a fan of the new tilting trains then.

Nope! Trains should have an engine at the front and coaches behind, besides, the reliability of these units is crap, and they vibrate (hence the nickname!)

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:52 pm

Not worth a thread of it's own, so timetables seems almost appropriate if anyone interested hasn't spotted it...

Channel 4 are running a short series called:

Small Railway Journeys
Jonathan Glancey rides the railway lines that should have disappeared long ago but live on against the odds.

Afternoons, roughly around 13:15.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:35 pm

It is part of First Group's franchise commitment so if you don't like it, blame the Scottish Exec.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

train timtables

Postby hazy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:09 pm

Gonna shut up about trains a feckin work oan them. The last thing I need in my leesure time is more feckin traibs
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:55 pm

Went to Central this lunchtime, aiming to catch a train to Paisley. Departure Board indicated first train being Gourock at 1225 (for Dunoon Boat too) but no platform yet- thats not unusual, they like to give you 20 seconds to get from the concourse to platform 13, but as it approached 1225, we saw cancelled appear and an announcement telling us that operational difficulties had cancelled the train! What operational difficulties- they need to do is provide a train and a driver not brain surgery! Wish they'd actually tell you the reason not some stupid computer generated thing that means nothing.

In the end took the bus which was surprisingly quck, only 15 mins to the outskirts of Paisley.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: train timtables

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:03 pm

hazy wrote:Gonna shut up about trains a feckin work oan them.

Here, laddie, :wink: Tell me, why it is that when I'm standing waiting on a train to Glasgow at Gilmour St. station, the one that turns up is 4 carriages long and filled to the gunnels, whereas the one on the next platform, heading for Greenock / Largs / Ardrossan, is 6 carriages long and fekkin' empty? Now, while we're on the subject, do Train Drivers & wee "Green Flag" signalmen get extra points for shutting the door in my fekkin face? Is it sexual? Or is it a penis length issue :?:
Now, while I'm on the subject, why do the announce that a train is available on say, Platform 10, & when we herd of cattle run like feck to said Train & Platform, do you keep the doors closed till a mighty growd builds up, ensuring a bad tempered stramash in the quest for a seat?
Just asking :cry:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Train Timetables

Postby hazy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:54 pm

Hey Hollowhorn get this.

First of all I am really surprised the train stops at Gilmour Street to pick up all you soap dodgers.
Secondly what a laugh we all get watching all the wee people gettin the doors slammed in yur coupins Ha Ha Ha.
Thirdly I dont give a jot Im an engineer and well paid.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:32 am

That's the wonderful thing about model railways, no moaning passengers!! :twisted:
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:17 pm

Anyone on here work for 1st Scotbusrail hingmy jig?

Firsltly, you put the fairs up 3 weeks after you got the franchise now yer looking for an increase in the new year of inflation plus 5%, average.

Secondly, we are living in the year of our lord 2005 so please pray tell why can I not get a train on a Sunday, fecking 60mph they go racing through, I've tried puting my hand out for it to stop but all the driver does is give a sarcastic blow of his bloody horn as he rushes through.

A guy in the pub said that he'd heard form the top brass in Central when they do those "Meet The Management" days that they cannae do anything about it as they only look after the Station but apparently and this is on the QT they cant get drivers to work Sunday shifts even for double time and a day in leu, it's all unions this n that and because either one of the Old firm play on a Sunday the sick notes start flying in apparently, now thats honesty.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:09 pm

Indeed, and buses too. Why the crap timetable? People do things on sunday s now like pray to the shopping god so they need to get there and back. Madness!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:45 pm

Bex your right on there with First Rail. Since they 'won' the Scottish franchise, our local Newton - Glasgow service has got worse and worse.

Just this morning ,a rush hour train was 15 minutes late and then ran slow the whole way into Central. I think it was meant to be helpful when the driver announced that he was sorry about the delays "due to poor rail adhesion that was bad for the braking and things" 8O

Past fortnight has seen two outright cancellations of rush hour morning trains; one without any explanation. The latter scenario meant communter dogs' abuse for our local station part-time ticket seller - which is no fair 'co he's is a real helpful guy who takes his job very personally - unlike, it sseems, the First Rail management.

But of course, when you then do get into Central, late and anxious to get onto to work and/or connecting tranport, First Rail don't let up. You then face the crammed exiting at the barricades quickly erected of the end of the platform staffed by scrutineers and ticket sellers... just that wee bit of extra delay and aggravation to send you on your way.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions