Just along from Anniesland cross...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Just along from Anniesland cross...

Postby glasgowken » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:05 am

Does anyone have photos of what was on the site of the Anniesland B&Q store ?
I remember the car dealer, and according to maps, & others i've spoken to, there was a cinema (below), any more photos, or info would be great.
Cheers :D

Cinema.

Mid 1930's map (note Knightswood Garage only partly complete, a large shed was later added to the rear).

I've also got a 1950's map somewhere, but can't find it :?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:00 am

Bit of info on the cinema - this opened as the Boulevard in December 1928. The architect and owner was William Beresford Inglis - who also designed the ABC Toledo in Muirend, and most famously, the Beresford Hotel/Baird Hall in Sauchiehall St.

Like the Toledo, it had an 'atmospheric' interior - little plaster buildings on the side walls and either side of the screen to create the feeling of watching a film outdoors in a spanish courtyard!

It was sold to the Singleton chain in 1938, and modernised a bit at that point and renamed Vogue. It closed in 1959.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:19 am

Looking at the map I spotted the 'Milady Chocolate Works' this is now the Store, which is a furniture store with an amazing range of bits and pieces. The only thing I could find on this was a reference to a short film in the Scottish Screen Archives. http://data.scottishscreen.com/film/detail.php?id=04980001
The only local reference to this factory thatI know of is the name of the filling station on Great Western Rd which is 'Milady Service Station' and had always puzzled me until I saw that map

The old Castlebank Laundry was also just off this section of map with some of the streets being named after the laundry and its owners.

Munro Place was named after Alexander Munro who was the founder of the Castlebank Laundry and there is a small street just off Munro Place called Castlebank Villas and the housing which now occupies the site of the laundry is called Castlebank Court
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:09 pm

To elaborate on the cinema detail, the original atmospheric interior as built by Inglis took the form of an Andalusian courtyard, with the fake 3-D buildings on the side having tiled roof eaves and lanterns, rather like his Ritz Cambuslang from 1930 and his Muirend Toledo from 1934.

This section through the Anniesland Boulevard/Vogue should give you a fair idea of how it looked:

And here's a slightly less washed out copy of the exterior shot above - taken after a change of ownership and name:

Inglis sold up in 1938 after becoming disillusioned with his cinemas, the same year he built the Beresford Hotel.

The Boulevard then passsed to the Singleton chain, who renamed it Vogue. They also had the elaborate interior modernised (i.e. stripped!) along more traditional lines due to the acoustic difficulties the plaster buildings caused with the arrival of sound! Seating capacity was also increased to 1,470, from the original 1,140.

After closure in June 1959, a sign on the facade advised that the cinema was closed for decoration, but it was never to re-open.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:36 am

8O You guys are a mine of information, cheers :D
Especially like the last pic, it really shows the building in context with the houses on Gt Western Road.

I found the map segment (date 1966) which shows the garage later built on the site.
The Corporation yard (now GCC of course) is still in use today.

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:49 pm

I used to live at 1824 Gt Western Rd :) Can remember well being sent over to the bus garage for shillings for the meter. Beyond the garage where B&Q soon won't be, was Knightswood Primary School. Where the School is west of the bus garage there used to be huge shale bings, the best offroad cycling track ever. ::): We lived nearer Anniesland Cross for a while and had a neighbour who worked at the Milady Factory. She brought us back huge slabs of chocolate that were used for coating the sweets, no wonder I've got a mouthfull of fillings now :oops:
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:07 pm

You might be interested to know that Knightswood Garage, when built in 1932, was the largest in Europe, with a capacity for 260 buses. It was modelled on Berlin's municipal garage apparently.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:45 pm

viceroy wrote:You might be interested to know that Knightswood Garage, when built in 1932, was the largest in Europe, with a capacity for 260 buses. It was modelled on Berlin's municipal garage apparently.

Yep, Glasgow's second purpose built bus garage (Larkfield was first in 1929).
I live & work nearby, It's a vast site, a real shame to see it slowly disappear, the rear parking shed has already gone, no doubt the maintenence shed will follow soon :(
The listed admin block is to stay, but the neds have already went to work smashing the windows. Apparently the Glasgow coat of arms still exists behind the cheap & nasty Firstbus logo on it's gable end.
Here's a pic of happier times, I took it at sunrise sometime in the winter of 1992 while still under Strathclyde's Buses ownership.

"Sure As The Sunrise", which famous vehicle manufacturer used that motto ? :wink:
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:02 am

glasgowken wrote:"Sure As The Sunrise", which famous vehicle manufacturer used that motto ? :wink:

Albion Motors
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:13 am

What was the names of the picture house/bingo/dancin' or whatever it was,next to the bus depot, where Mickey Dee's is now?
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:03 pm

That would have been the Cueball Flagship, lasrge snooker club and gym with night club
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:53 am

I seem to remember the building was Remploy before that; or is my brain just making this up?
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:32 pm

that would've been a different building. The Flagship was purpose built as it had a swimming pool and the snooker hall was upstairs so would have used some hefty beams to support all that weight. Not really something you can do with a refurb.

Alan
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:43 pm

It was Remploy, and before that Milady Choccy factory. Kwik Fit tyres was the Fountain Garage and Car showroom, and before that Clydebank Laundry coal yard for the boilers
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:36 am

Milady Chocolate factory was round the corner in Munro Place (check the map earlier in the thread) and its still standing and in use as the Store http://www.thestorescotland.com (the site is awful, I'll try and get a pic later on).
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)