Mural Artist required

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JayKay » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:53 pm

escotregen wrote:Presumably, there was an equivalent sacrificial country on the Warsaw Pact side for the USA to play with.

Cuba would probably be the most obvious candidate for this dubious honour I'd reckon.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:29 pm

But we don't know, because our side 'won' and it's the winners who get to write the history.

::): please dont go all American on us ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:02 pm

Sir Roger DeLodgerley wrote:
Socceroo wrote: it is to reflect Social history / and warm connections between Scotland and the USSR during the Cold War.

Care to expand on that Socceroo? I recall that we were sworn enemies and that Glasgow was pretty near the top of the USSR's target list in the event WW3 kicked off.

Who were sworn enemies? The people of Scotland and the people of the then USSR? No i do not think so.

In Scotland do we all bow to the mind set of the Government of the day?
No we certainly do not.

Did the people of the then USSR have any choice but to be seen to agree with the government of the day?

They had very little choice but to follow the party line.

The Scotland - USSR Society was established in 1955, some say through Soviet Government cash, well i suppose it was indirectly. When we were selling our previous premises in 2003 in the west end, i found the documents which show that they bought the premises through a loan from the Council of GB - USSR Friendship Societies, an organisation which did not make any effort to hide its direct links back to Moscow.

However, this loan was a Mortgage which had to be paid back over a fairly short period of time, which was important for the Scotland - USSR Society also.

The Scotland - USSR Society's constitution from 1955 sets out that it was to be a purely Cultural Centre dealing in mutual understanding and appreciation of the Arts, Culture and Education and to promote friendship between the people of Scotland and the USSR.

The Scotland - USSR Society was very successful in doing this by running two travel agencies - Sovscot Tours Limited and Blacksea Holidays Limited, which enabled many holidaymakers and exchange groups from schools and colleges etc to visit the USSR and for Soviet students and holidaymakers to visit Scotland.

I have lost count of the amount of Glaswegians who have told me that they or their parents / family members visited the then USSR through these Travel Agencies.

Through this business the Scotland - USSR Society was able to pay off it's mortgage quickly and ensure that it remained totally independent. It also used the money to fund many Arts and Cultural events in Glasgow and Scotland and to support tours of visiting Russian Artists etc.

Basically it existed to show that despite the Iron Curtain and the Cold War, ordinary people with no hatred, but with mutual interests, respect and a genuine warmth for each others culture existed. i.e. do not believe all you read in the papers or see on TV.

Although many people from Politics and people with widely different political views were involved in the Scotland - USSR Society, it was never a political forum. There existed enough other organisations / vehicles for this in Glasgow at that time.

So putting the ICBM's away for a moment, wherever they may be pointing, and to get back to the Mural.

Will it be political? No not deliberately so, but no doubt if it reflects the Social History of the 60 years of the former Scotland - USSR Society and the present Scotland - Russia Trust then it will obviously have a Soviet flavour to it. The Cold War did happen. Thankfully it has passed into history.
Last edited by Socceroo on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:29 pm

Well stated Socceroo. As ordinary, thinking, people we should always strive to see that Governments of all peruasions are wholly immoral when it comes to villifying the people of other countries and beliefs when it suits the Governing classes' own selfish purposes.

It's not political, but plain fact, to state that before and after WW2, U.K. Governments of both parties villified the USSR as a mortal enemy. But during WW2 when the USSR people provided the body fodder and blood to stem the Nazi onslaught the UK (Coalition) Government hailed the USSR. The great losses of the USSR civilians in WW2 make our 'Blitzs' tiny wee sideshows in comparison.

The UK establishment well knew that a significant number of Scottish people never bought into the "I must hate all Russians" line even in the Cold War. That's the reason for the British national media's de facto self-censuring of reporting on the likes of the tremendous reception that Kosygin got when he visited Glasgow... and hence Premier Wilson's bafflement at Koygin's remarks on the warmth of the Scottish people's reception.

Where there has been friendship between peoples in the face of the strictures and motives of their Governments, this is always something to celebrate.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:36 pm

escotregen wrote:......I meant say is that I'm at an Arts and Culture seminar tomorrow on the Culture Review and I will make enquiries in there about your search. I will come back later in the day with any feedback.

Sorry, Escotregen i was going off on one of my historical rants there, i just noticed your earlier posting. Thanks for offering to make enquiries at the seminar you are attending tomorrow.

I have had a couple of PM's from other HG members with one or two ideas and offers of assistance with setting the brief and composition for the Mural, which we will certainly take up.

It certainly has got myself and the Trustees of the Scotland - Russia Trust thinking. The interest and encouragement from HG members in what we are doing and the various suggestions and offers of assistance is really appreciated. :)
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby volantra » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:32 pm

was just wondering if you needed any more assistance in the mural project i have created murals before and am currently studying public art which deels alot with mural composition.

if you need any more help i would be delighted to hear from you.
volantra
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Random Distractions