tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby MotoMad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:53 pm

Cool , has the tunnel been blocked or can you walk straight to the other end of it?you been down that end yourself?
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:03 am

I've not been down there, so I dont know.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weedgie_bored » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:46 am

retired tiger wrote:I'll ask around in the old worthies pub I drink in.
BTW, thanks for reminding me of where I started my drinking career. The year was 1959 and I was 15 & fresh out of school, at my first job in Glassford Street. Used to push a barrow back and forth to the fruit market from the big store I worked in. What characters there were in the Candleriggs then :D

Had to leave off last night so couldn't reply.
Yes, it was one of the best pubs in Glasgow full of everybody from newspapermen to warehouse workers, warehouse in the old Glasgow sense of department store that is.
I too pushed one of those iron wheeled barrows at 15, for Rattrays, taking parcels to the "carriers quarters", no fun round those cobbled streets.
Somebody else has mentioned "Granny Black's" which was the "Bazaar Bar" in the 1960's.
It kept very strange opening hours and was named after Glasgow Bazaar which was the original purpose of the old fruitmarket building, and the name is, or was(1994), still visible above one of the entrances.
weedgie_bored
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Blood-Clot » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:07 pm

Cool cheers for the pic
We gonnay check out the whole tunnel on sat again. another person atleast and a couple more big ass torches !!
Shall find out if its passable and report back with pics !

deff doin the kelvingrove line :)
Blood-Clot
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby birdie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:00 pm

Yes, you can walk all the way through. Comes out near to Kelvinbridge underground station, but there is a metal gate although has been open on my visits.
For a map, go to page 5 of this thread.

Birdie.
birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:22 pm

I expect someone has already mentioned the short tunnel that runs between the M&S buildings on both sides of Virginia St. Anyway, it's there to enable staff to move freely between the Admin / Canteen building and the Store itself. The person I spoke to said that it was already there when M&S took over the building, who had it before then? They also mentioned a time when it was swamped with water, I would suppose that this was the same flood that affected the Low Line.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:36 pm

That tunnel was excavated by M&S when they built the warehouse and staff facilities in Virginia St and which ultimitely led to the demise and demolition of the Virginia Galleries. Another Glasgow heart-breaker.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:19 pm

crusty_bint wrote:the demise and demolition of the Virginia Galleries. Another Glasgow heart-breaker.

Ah! I had forgotten the Virginia Galleries!! That was the place, on three floors? That sold Books, Clothing, Artwork and the like? What did that have to do with the M&S Warehouse? Shirley the tunnel had been dug years previously? Spill the beanz!
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:31 am

Thats the one HH. I don't have much recollection of the place as I'd only been in a handful of times before it's demolition, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who can relate fond momories. M&S started work on thier warehouse facitlity and associated undergound access at around the time Buchannan Galleries first opened. Work progressed and they soon found they had undermined the foundation of the neighbouring Virginia Galleries and the building was decanted for fears of structural failure. The building then lay empty for a couple of months until the decision was finlly taken condemn the place.

And with it's condemnation Glasgow's heritage and historic streetscape suffered another great loss. Virginia galleries was originally built as the Crown Arcade and operated as the city's tobacco exchange, later becoming the sugar exchange. It is deeply saddening that even today/in recent years destruction like this is able to happen in the heart of Glasgow's [inverted commas][italics]Merchant City[/inverted commas][/italics]. Still, at least M&S got thier square meterage out of it.

Hey ho :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:28 pm

HollowHorn wrote:I expect someone has already mentioned the short tunnel that runs between the M&S buildings on both sides of Virginia St. Anyway, it's there to enable staff to move freely between the Admin / Canteen building and the Store itself. The person I spoke to said that it was already there when M&S took over the building, who had it before then? They also mentioned a time when it was swamped with water, I would suppose that this was the same flood that affected the Low Line.

I posted it sometime back HH last year I think.
but I cant remember what "tunnel" thread it on ::):

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mori » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:46 pm

Quite a few disused tunnels around the city, a wee map indicating some of them. :)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:50 pm

I must be more out of touch than I thought, I had no idea the Virginia Galleries was demolished :(
It wasn't a bad place to find old transport memorabilia, and books.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Raves you say ???!!??

Postby stuc » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:52 pm

turbozutek wrote:Who organises the raves ? Any contacts ?

my mates organise one of the raves that go on from time to time, I myself DJ'd at a couple of them, they're a great laugh!
stuc
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Raves you say ???!!??

Postby Fossil » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:21 pm

stuc wrote:
turbozutek wrote:Who organises the raves ? Any contacts ?

my mates organise one of the raves that go on from time to time, I myself DJ'd at a couple of them, they're a great laugh!

sssshhh... Its a public forum pm each other :wink:

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby russ » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:35 pm

I went down the tunnel that is out the back of the Transport Museum today. I thought it would lead onto the exhibition centre line but it was filled in about 300-400m in.

I say that but I have no idea how far it was. I can't judge distance to well.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects