Tonights fireworks as Glasgow Green

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tonights fireworks as Glasgow Green

Postby danixta » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:07 pm

Was anyone at Glasgow Green for the fireworks tonight? I took my 14 year old brother and told him it would be great, but it was nowhere near as good as it normally is!! It started later than billed and lasted about 20-25 mins, with most of the crowd around us looking amazed when it just finished.

Anyone who was there think the same?

:(
danixta
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Fireworks !!!!

Postby Socceroo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:56 pm

I don't know about Glasgow Green tonight, but not far from where i am sitting just now they are still going off every minute (Queens Park Rec) although its nearly midnight.

They started as soon as night fell and they have not stopped yet. :x
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby danixta » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:23 am

wish I had a view other than the back of a school!
danixta
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby clydebankcelt » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:48 am

Maybe it's just us getting older, but every year i say "last year was better". I'm a Guy Fawkes baby, born on nov 5th. My ma always says i came in with a bang.
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:28 am

Interesting, I stopped going quite a few years ago.

Basically it had gotten to be too big an attraction, and the place was mobbed with people and cars jammed up prior to the show, and the same afterwards.

Starting late became the norm, maybe because there were still crowds arriving at start time due to the lack of access. Either that or they just weren't ready or had decided so many folk weren't on the Green that there might be a riot if they did start.

My memory now is of folk either asking "When's it gaunae start?" or "Is that it done?"

There always seemed to be a 5 minute lull, when people would start leaving, then hav a dozen biggies would go up, and they'd all start to come back.

You have to remember that at the end of they, that's your council tax going up in smoke.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby desto » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm

love guy fox! but last nite felt so sorry for ma wee dogs! one of them ended up as a pillow for me an other sat in corner shakin like a glasgow prozy who hadint had doze in 2days!
desto
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:39 pm

I was kinda disappointed.

I thought the music was a bit random and not really that necessary (I like hearing people go "oooh" "ahh" to the fireworks). It was really loud too, but I was standing fairly close to the big speaker!

I thought the green lazery lights weren't really appropriate and they took away from the spectacle of the fireworks.

The display seemed really short, might have been better if they had spaced out the time a wee bit and not let so many off at once.

The deejays on the big screen kept saying it's the biggest display in Scotland so I was wondering "how do they count this?". Number of fireworks or number of people?
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:20 pm

Ally Doll wrote:I was kinda disappointed.

I thought the music was a bit random and not really that necessary (I like hearing people go "oooh" "ahh" to the fireworks). It was really loud too, but I was standing fairly close to the big speaker!

I thought the green lazery lights weren't really appropriate and they took away from the spectacle of the fireworks.

The display seemed really short, might have been better if they had spaced out the time a wee bit and not let so many off at once.

The deejays on the big screen kept saying it's the biggest display in Scotland so I was wondering "how do they count this?". Number of fireworks or number of people?

I agree mostly. The music was cr*p - Paul McCartney? Queen?? - and the lasers were a bit much. Th half hour wait was a bit of a nuisance, too. I thought it went on too long - 21 minutes by my watch - and seemed a bit dragged out. Were the gaps meant to fool people that it was all over? And as for the Radio Clyde commentary - give us a break!
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:25 pm

I wasn`t overly impressed by the fireworks or the stupid people who think that the best place to stand is in one of the few entrances.

One minor benefit was the tour of the east end required to find the greens entrance from Bridgton train Station
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:59 pm

In agreement with the views above. Our crowd felt it just was not as good as previous ones. And yes the laser 'show' was pointless and distracting -bet it was a 'clever wheeze' thought up by some out-of-date trendy. What exactly was the Radio Clyde thing all about... seemed to have little to do with anything else there?

On a more worrying note, we found that the enforced herding of people (in our case all the way around from The Green to the one London Road approach) with the concentrated exodus it created afterwards, was distinctly dodgy; with all those weans about it would have taken just one nutter to have created a major 'incident' at some points.

Talking of which when we got back to base for our own wee show, a Polis neighbour of mine was telling us about how a crowd of folk (not all youngsters) down at Rutherglen went mental and created seriously violent mayhem when the Fire Brigade and then Polis had to attend and put out their bonfire. Talkj about losing your sense of proportion :roll:
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:04 pm

Definitely the worst display at the Green. I love fireworks but this is the first time I've actually been bored. Something must've gone wrong, given the pre-show delay and the big pauses in between the fireworks. The lasers were distracting, commentary pish and getting out of the Green was a bloody nightmare. Bad show all round. Pah!
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Fireworks

Postby scallopboy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:25 pm

Try heading up to a bothy with a load of fireworks. Less bangs and whooshes but nicer when it's so dark you can see them better. Was also a lovely clear night where I was with a fair few natural fireworks, shooting stars. Make a wish.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:59 pm

So, Looks like nothing's changed in the past 10 years then :roll:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:45 pm

There were some good displays going on - when I got back from the "official" display, I watched countless fireworks going up across the south of Glasgow from my living room wimdow. It was fantastic. Have to admit, living on the top floor can have it's advantages!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:42 am

Some pics of the fireworks :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)