False facade in Carlton Place

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

False facade in Carlton Place

Postby dazed_and_confused » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:30 pm

Evening folks,

If you stand on the suspension bridge over the Clyde, looking south, you can see 2 rows of buildings on Carlton Place which appear identical. But if you look more closely at the row on the left, you can notice something odd. The windows of the central section (if I remember correctly) are painted on and the door has no handle, although there IS a door. Any ideas why this is?

I know buildings used to be taxed on the number of windows once upon a time, and paint on fake windows to make the building look better. However, I don't think this terrace is quite that old! :?

It's always bugged me. I used to sit over on the grass at Clyde st on my lunchbreak, and noticed it didn't look right one day.
dazed_and_confused
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby russ » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Carlton place has quite a history. Hang on and I'll go get some links.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby russ » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:06 pm

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/minstr/minstr05.htm

Bah can't find to much the now but what I do recall is that Lauriston was an experiment in regeneration of the area. Carlton Place was supposed to be visited by the King upon it's opening but the visit was cancelled.

I'l try and find some more info.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby russ » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:08 pm

Ahh. Here we go.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/out/out ... rbals.html

Emerging into daylight at Bridge Street Subway station on Eglinton Street, such an urban renaissance is not immediately apparent, as around you lie large tracts of derelict land, functioning mainly as commuter car parks. But two centuries ago this area was the site of the development of Laurieston, Glasgows newest suburb, which the Laurie brothers hoped would make their fortune. Carlton Place, fronting the Clyde, was the jewel in the crown of this development and thankfully is fully extant today, though functioning as offices not as the original housing. Laurieston House here was deemed grand enough to host George IV on his projected Glasgow trip of 1822 only he never visited the city to see the interiors which had been done by the same Italian artists who decorated his own Windsor Castle.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:44 am

close up the building looks to have had windows and a doorway at one point the spaces are clearly there but i faintly remember a post in here a while back asking the same and mentioning the window tax,the entrance canopy has now been boarded up due to the dossers setting up home in it and trying to have a campfire one day

searched around for best part of an hour to find out what thae building is/was
and i got nowt. ye would think that there would be more info on this.

im on a late start at the court tommorow im gonna take a peek around before i start ,my assumption is that the buildings either side might have knocked through
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)